Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I need the benefit of your experience Re: hotels in Florence (& Venice)

Mar 29th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

We are mother & daughter (teenager) traveling in Florence this summer & would like some feedback on these hotels I am considering using.
Hotel Tina
Tourist House
Albergo Merlini
Katti House
also Villa Fiorita in Venice
I am especially concerned about staying near the train station in Florence. What you you think about the area at night - is it safe?
These hotels are all in at least 1 of the guide books but I'd feel more comfortable with comments from you guys. Thanks
Mar 29th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Also check tripadvisor.com.
Mar 29th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Melissajoy

Mimmel, my 74-year-old friend Jack has travelled to Italy every year for the past 6 years, and he is helping me plan my family's first trip to Italy. He loves Florence, and has told me the one area NOT to stay in is the area near the train station...too many pickpockets, he said, especially not safe at night. He likes the Hotel Ritz, which is NOT related in any way to the Ritz Carlton, it's just a moderately-priced hotel, but he likes the area it's in. He says the Ritz Hotel, on the Arno river, is in a safe area. It is NOT a luxurious hotel! But he finds it safe and comfortable for himself and his 73-year-old wife. I myself have corresponded by e-mail with Irini at the Hotel Ritz. She is very friendly and helpful. I am thinking of staying there myself but I'm not sure, I may choose something more luxurious, as this is a "splurge" trip for us. But you are looking for something safe and inexpensive, I think. Whatever hotel you choose for your daughter, from my friend Jack's information, just make sure it's NOT near the train station. Jack knows Florence pretty well as he has gone there for a week every year for the past 6 years. Good luck!

Mar 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Near the train station in Florence--
check out hotel Globus. I think their web sight is hotelglobus.com. Good reviews and helpful staff.
Good Luck,
j
Mar 29th, 2004, 05:08 PM

While there are many inexpensive lodgings near train stations worldwide, they tend not to be the best neighborhoods for sightseers. I was very pleased last fall to find the Relais Cavalcanti, just around the corner from the Piazza della Republicca and the Arno in the other direction. Owned and run by a pair of young sisters, it's clean, very nicely decorated, and a reasonable cost at E110 for a double, including tax. I'd stay there again and have been recommending it to friends.
www.relaiscavalcanti.com
Be aware that, like many Florentine pensions, it consists of a couple of floors in an apartment building dating from the Renaissance and you have to walk up a flight of stairs from the street before reaching the elevator landing.
Mar 29th, 2004, 05:33 PM
ira

Hi mimmel,

What is your budget?
Mar 29th, 2004, 06:29 PM

Here you go! In Florence stay at the Hotel Pendini in the Piazza Della Republicca. Wonderful staff, great rooms, very reasonable, and very safe. Right in the heart of the historical section. I promise you will not regret it. www.FLORENCEITALY.NET E-amil: [email protected]. Ph# (011) 390-052-111-70. In Venice stay at the Hotel Campiello, great rooms, quiet, and very safe. You'll be steps off the main wharf and about 75 yards from St. Marks Square. e-mail [email protected].
Ph# (011) 390-415-205-764. Unbelievable location. You will thank me!
Mar 29th, 2004, 08:55 PM

There is guest feedback re most, if not all of these hotels on the Italian hotel booking site venere.com, complete with photos and rates for your date of stay.

You may book via the site, or contact the hotels directly to book, but this site is a great tool for "browsing" either way.

Mar 30th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissajoy - That's the impression I had from the guidebooks but they weren't
that clear.
Ira -my budget is TIGHT. I'll be in Italy almost 1 month & would like to spend between
75 - 100 euros per night. All the hotels I listed are in that range & all have a/c & private
baths. I don't mind quaint -I do want safe. I think I've settled on Hotel Tina - unless someone talks me out of it.
Anyone else have any experience or suggestions. Thanks to all who have already offered suggestions.
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Check out Hotel Giada on tripadvisor.com. We stayed there last fall and thought it was excellent. The location is within walking distance of the train station but closer to the Duomo so I think you won't feel unsafe.
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:07 PM

If you're going to stay there a whole month, wouldn't you save money with a self catering apartment? I don't know any off hand, but others with more experience probably do...
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Here's another idea. I can't give specific recommendations, but remember looking at Italian language programs. The one I liked best had classes for a half day in the morning and the rest of the day free. You could sign up for a week at a time. They had arranged stays with local homes, of students and teachers and others. I thought it seemed like a good way to go. Try a web search for Italian language programs in Florence. There are other courses, too, like art and cooking.
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:52 PM

If the idea of taking courses appeals to you, look here:

http://www.scuolaleonardo.com/Italia...tml#conditions

To me this seems like a good way to meet people. The tuition is not expensive, and the cost for accommodations is very low.