Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feedback on where to stay Naples, Capri, and Positano!

Old Sep 7th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am planning a trip to Italy—Naples, Capri, Positano, and Puglia—and I am in the midst of choosing where to stay. I haven’t even touched the Puglia part, so lets leave that aside….

I have decided for Naples: either the Piazza Bellini or the Parteno Deluxe. The latter is a spin off the Parteno B&B but it is supposed to be more “modern,” though I cant find ANY concrete reviews, photos, etc. The former was recommended on another travel site and I loved the pics on venere. Any direct experience out there??

For Capri, this is really tricky. We are looking to average 100 Euros a night over the whole trip. So, I can spend a bit more at some places if I balance it out at others. I think that is doable. But, in Capri, I am totally uninspired by everything! Any hotel I like is 300 Euros or more. For me, I am in my mid-twenties, traveling with my boyfriend and we really like more “boutique-esc” places. I know what you are all thinking: “well, you cant find that at 100 Euros.” But the thing is, I have before! And some of my favorite hotels in the world are stylish, a bit younger, interesting, and affordable (And I have stayed at my fair share of LHW so I do have a good comparison). But in Capri it seems everything is a bit “older”, a bit gaudier too (please don’t harp on me for these last 2 points!).

Does anyone have a great suggestion for Capri? A place that might be a little off the beaten path, but that has special charm? Your thoughts on this matter are enormously appreciated!! I LOVE apartments too, so if anyone has a great apartment or “chambres d’hotes” that is welcomed!

Re Positano and the surrounding area, we have narrowed down some choices: Villa Rosa, or perhaps B&B limoni, which is an agrotourism farm in Ravello. My parents stayed at Villa Rosa and adored it, so it is the latter I would love info on.

And that is where we are for now!!

So, any feedback on some of these places—or better yet, on a great find in Capri—is so appreciated and welcomed!!

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 06:55 AM

We stayed at Villa Rosa and loved it. If you plan to do a lot of day trips, I would not stay in Ravello. To get any where else, you would have to take the bus down, then possibly change buses or wait for the ferry. It eats up a lot of time waiting around.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

great, thanks. good to know. i was just contemplating this ....and capri?
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM

I second the vote for Villa Rosa. Good luck finding affordable accomodation in Capri. Look on tripadvisor.
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I got a room at Hotel Weber for I beleive 140 Euro a night. That was for a "superior" room so a regular room maybe cheaper. It doesn't seem like the kind of hotel you are looking for. Probably a little too popular for you. But it is right on the water, central and it is a 4 star hotel. I did a lot of research on trip advisor and venere before picking this hotel. And although we haven't stayed there yet, they were very helpful and friendly in emails.

http://www.hotelweber.com/

Good Luck!
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks for that. i was actually curious about the hotel webber. when do you travel?

i am now thinking, should i just go to ischia instead? i have actually been to capri before but never in october and never with my boyfriend, so i wanted to share the beauty of the place with him. and some reviews i read of ischia really put me off it, but maybe i can go there, get the great place i am looking for, and still have the same, island-esc experience? for those that have been to both, what do you think?
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 03:14 PM

I will be there for one night on Sept 25th. I wanted to visit Capri and get the full experience day & night. First time to Italy so I can't comment on much else.

Cheers
Old Sep 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM

I've visited Capri a few times ( stayed at Hotel Luna, which I loved), but I've heard very good things about the Hotel Weber. Friends of ours stayed there two years ago, and loved it.

As far as Ischia goes, I haven't been, but I've heard that it's very popular w/ German tourists ( not that there's anything wrong with that) and that there's not much of a nightlife, if that matters to you.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

The hotel luna looked really nice! It seemed larger than I would prefer but I am learning to slowly make adjustments on this one. It is also more expensive than I would prefer but it isn't 300 Euros, so that is a start. And I realised also that one of those adjustments I dont want to make is going to Ischia instead. It just isnt what I had planned. I am thinking this might be like a Zermatt-esc experience: i.e, everything is expensive so if i want to go i might as well spend the extra, make cuts elsewhere (i.e., down in puglia where cheaper rooms abound) and go for something that i love.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 04:03 AM

The Hotel Luna is a small hotel, so I think you may have gotten the wrong impression from the website? We really liked it- the rooms were very large, ours overlooked the water- and the location is only a few minutes from the main shopping street in Capri.

Others to look at are: Casa Morgano, and Hotel Minerva, both of which are very nice, and often recommended on this forum.
Old Sep 12th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help and as per your suggestion, in the end I JUST booked with La Minerva! It is only 110 Euros in the low season, which is close to budget. I have to admit-- and I am feeling guilty-- I decided to splurge with the room that was slightly more but has a terrace with a sea view. I just thought that was something that would make it really special. What doesnt sound more delightful than reading with a glass of wine, while overlooking the bay of naples!? And the hotel minerva seemed to have a lot of what we are looking for. So thanks again!!

Now onto Naples...Any info out there on the hotel, Piazza Bellini OR Parteno Deluxe?
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,

So moving along with the trip planning and wanted to get some comments, suggestions on where I am at so far...

First 3 nights in Naples at the Hotel Piazza Bellini (I have been to Naples and love it, plus we are arrving at night on the first night and will take a day trip to Roman ruins on the last, leaving us only 1 proper day in the city).

Then, 2 nights on Capri at La Minerva.

Followed by 2 nights in Positano/ Amalfi/ Ravello?? I wanted to stay at the Villa Rosa but at 160 Euros, it is more than we wanted to spend. I have found the Hotel Parsifal at 90 Euros in Ravello (apparently it was closed, then reopened?). But, I don't know the areas and so I am not sure if it is better to look around Positano for something cheaper rather than stay in Ravello?

After 2 nights somewhere near Amalfi, 1 night at Don Alfonso (yes, blows the budget but is being given as a present to us).

Moving on from there to Puglia....I am thinking I will spend 2 nights in either Trani or somewhere close as a base for the North of the region? Any suggestions? I am going back and forth on this one...We will have a car, so mobility is okay. I love to eat though and go to restaurants so I would also want to be somewhere where there are enough dining options and we won't have to drive after wine, etc. That is my basic criteria

After that, 2-3 nights in Lecce. From reviews here, trip advisor, etc. I am hoping to stay at Villa Giuliana (awaiting a response on availability).

I prefer to stay in Lecce 2 nights but that will be at the end of our trip and we will have a plane out of Rome at around 6pm...Is it too much to spend a whole day driving from Lecce to Rome for a flight?? Or, is it doable?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, correction: I prefer to stay in Lecce 3 nights but am not sure about the distance to Rome in one day....
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM

I recently read a post on this forum about L'ALCIONE RESIDENCE, an apartment style small hotel in Positano. It sounded really nice and very reasonable. I e-mailed for rates, and it IS very reasonable, even in season. We usually stay at HOTEL POSEIDON, which I absolutely love, but L'ALCIONE may soon be on my short list for our next visit. I think it's located just across the street from the insanely expensive LE SIRENUSE, which means it's very central.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM

BTW, if it matters to you, Ravello is very beautiful, but extremely quiet and too isolated for my tastes. You have to take a bus or taxi to get there from Amalfi, and there's minimal nightlife except for the music concerts in the summer months.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
kja

Hi, NicaZ -
As Weadles said, Ravello is quiet - but beautiful. In case you do choose to stay there, I had a truly wonderful experience at the Parsifal. I also loved Trani, and don't think you would have any trouble finding restaurants there that serve delicious food. As for driving from Lecce to Rome on the day of your flight - that's not a choice I would make because I don't like to risk missing a flight. Personal choice on that one. Hope that helps!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM

Weadles, do you have a website for L'Alcione Residence? I did a google search and came up with nothing. Would you mind sharing how much the quote was?
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM

I am not familiar with Positano or Naples's hotel.
I was in Capri with my grandaughter this July and stayed in a small place, Hotel DaGiorgio.. Our room had a tiny balcony facing the sea.
The location is Great, the Funicular and the buses are near by.

We could have not asked a better location to spend few days in such a beautiful island.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for this info. i think you are all right: ravello is beautiful but too quiet for my taste. but the l'alcione residence sounds worth looking at. i too, however, couldn't find a website for it. can you pass it on again? thanks!

re leaving for rome from lecce, i know, i will really need to think about that. it doesnt seem like a good idea, but i am so tempted to have that last night there!