February's weather in Portugal & Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a European adventure in February...haven't been to Portugal and Spain. I know each country has it's extremes, but in general, what would the weather be like? I live in Louisville, KY and our average temperature during February is probably in the 30's, although it can be a lot colder. Anything higher than that would be a bonus.
Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 02:18 AM

You wouldnt get temperatures near that in February - Portugal (Algarve) may be early 20s if you are lucky, Southern Spain is going to be in its early 20s if you are very very lucky and expect rain in both. If you want more guaranteed weather consider the Canaries which are very much Spanish.
Old Jul 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I think there is some confusion here.

The OP is talking temps in Farenheit and the response is in Centrigrade. (The OP meant temps of around 0 Centrigrade in winter.)

In winter you will find most of Portugal and southern Spain in the 50's or even up near 60 in Andalusia although naturally the mountains will be much colder.

Good weather for sightseeing, golf, tennis etc - but too cold for the beach. But - much warmer than Lousiville.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 05:07 AM

nytraveler is right Anyway, you cannot forget it is still winter, I mean, there is no guarantee of good weather !!
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 04:55 PM

I went to Portugal in February, 2001, and the weather was spring-like, much warmer than North Carolina is that time of year. My recollection is that the temps got up to the high 70's during the days, then cooled off to the 60's after dark.

Allie
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm familiar with Farenheit measurements, not Centrigrade. My original thought is that the temps would be similar to Atlanta, or Jacksonville. Of course, unseasonable weather is just that...unpredictable. We might give it a shot. I assume all the typical tourist areas will be open and not at all crowded. Guess that's why they call it the off season!
Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 6th, 2008, 06:28 PM

I spent the month of January 2000 in Spain. Much of the time I was in Madrid attending a language school, but I did spend a weekend each in Granada, Barcelona and Sevilla. I found the weather to be quite decent, though Spaniards seemed to think it was cold.

My hometown, Spokane, Washington, can be very cold in January and not much better in February, so Spain felt pretty balmy to me.

My Rick Steves book says that the temps in Madrid range from 36F to 52F in February, with 21 days of no rain and somewhat higher in Lisbon, with 16 days of no rain.