Search

Portugal/Spain

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal/Spain

Just in the consideration phase for a 3 wk trip to either Portugal and/or Spain. Don't know much about the region and am just now starting to research. Was wondering when the better time of year for travel would be (not to cold and not much rain) and has anyone ever been on a riverboat cruise in these areas? If so, company name and experience would be much appreciated. Is self-driving problematic?? We've been to most of Asia and wouldn't want to get behind a wheel myself there (difficult enough as a passenger) and was wondering if this area would be as difficult to self-navigate. We've driven all over NZ and the land down under with no problems but much less populated than other areas. Any information (weather, must see locations and any other relevant info) would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM

There may be river boat cruises but Spain and Portugal are not noted for that and I never even seen ads for them.

I have driven in most parts of Spain and some of Portugal. If you do not rent cars while you are in cities you will be fine. The cities are older, hard to navigate, and difficult to park and re-park.

Personally I like to visit May, early June, late September, early October, a little less crowded but the weather is condusive to touring.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:54 AM

I would go in early May and plan to drive much of the route. With 3 weeks you can do most of Portugal and a diverison into Spain to see Sevilla. You will have to work out the details and sequence, but I would include these destinations:
Lisbon area--stay in Cascais and see Sintra etc.---4

Drive to Algarve--you pick location ---3

Drive to Seville---3

Drive to Evora---2

Drive to Marvao---see Estromoz & Castello de Vide--2

Drive to Porto---wine tour--2

Drive to Obidos--day trips to Nazare, Batahla etc--2

To airport---drop car

That is a start---good luck !
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; Driving in Spain/Portugal is easy, except as suggested, difficult in the large cities. Portugal does have a river cruise on the Douro River. Weather is unpredictible. We have been in Madrid in February and the weather has been good, high 50's, low 60's. On that same trip, low 70's in Seville. This past April, high 70's in Seville and mid-50's in the mountain towns of Portugal. Richard www.dourorivercruise.com or www.pavlustravel.com Both companies are discounters.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Friends of mine took a Douro river cruise and really enjoyed it, but I do not know which company they used.

There is no particular problem driving or navigating in Portugal or Spain, at least outside the cities.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM

Living in Galicia ( North of Portugal)you should hear what the Spanish think of Portuguese drivers and my personal experience of them is not so good either.
For river cruses you can do the tips along the river in Oporto and sample some Port too.
On the Rivers Miño and Sil in Galicia we have several catamaran servers pus a Zodiac for the more adventuress.
If you hire a car then you have to return it to the country of origin or face a heavy fee to have the car repatriated.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM

that should be catamaran services not servers