The Scruffman seeks a route for the holidays

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeking ideas for a route for my 21-year-old Scruffman son between mid-December and early January.

Some of you have been following his story as a couchsurfer on a (hopefully) year-round trip around the world.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

The parameters:

* He will likely be coming from Belgium, possibly the Netherlands.
* Preferably cheap, although he usually can line up places to sleep for free.
* Preferably somewhat warm and sunny.
* Preferably a place that won'\ be so Christmassy that it will engender homesickness. Being less Christmassy may also make it easier for him to line up free accommodation.
* Transport needs to be as cheap as possible. He is open to hitchhiking or any other form of transport, as long as it is cheap.
* He seems to prefer staying about a week in each place.
* He will be aiming to arrive in Florence around the 4th or 5th of January.

Places on his travel list for Europe(-ish) that he hasn't yet hit:
Spain
Morocco
Turkey

But I'm sure he would be open to other ideas.

The Scruffman likes hiking and other outdoor activities and appreciates good beer. In cultural activities, he prefers the counterculture and youth culture. Not a museum kind of guy.

Any ideas you have of where he could be wandering for around three weeks at this time of year would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he wants non-Christmassy, clearly Spain is out. Either Morocco or Turkey would work, but northern Turkey is likely to be chilly. Other North Africa locations (e.g. Tunisia) might be worth considering. However, if he wants to be In Florence early in January he'll have to backtrack.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM

How about Tunisia followed by ferry to Sicily or even Genoa then up to Florence?? RyanAir (!) fly to Trapani. Could even do a return ferry trip to Tunisia and back....then head for Florence.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM

From what I have read, Scruffman's shoes fit....ta, dah! Morocco (Maroc)...he'll love it. He can get the ferry from Algeciras (Spain), near Gibraltar (I'll bet RyanAir has a flight there)...two hour run across the Med to Tangiers...from there he can get a cheapo bus to anywhere in the exotic, colorful, exciting, fun country. I would further suggest that Marrakech and Essaouira would be good destinations for Scruff, and lots of young Europeans hang out further SW in Agadir (more touristy)...he can hitch to the dessert, camp in the dunes around Erg Chebbi (a 30-mile monster of a dune)...there will be plenty of snow in the Atlas Mountains, but comfortable weather throughout most of Maroc.

One of my grandson's self-extended my college graduation gift to him (flight and rail pass), and he too was a Scruffman...he didn't quite make it a year, but he had a ball....he's in Brazil now, teaching at a private petro-dollar prep school...also did a stint teaching in China.

Your mom has turned this forum into a vicarious thrill for many of us...<b>Go Scruffman...go, my man!!</b>

Stu Tower
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate these ideas! I am passing them on for the Scruffman's consideration.

Stay tuned on the other thread, Stu - a couple more installments are on their way in the next day or so! And things have become pretty, um <i>interesting....</i>
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 05:30 PM

Well Florence won;t be warm in January. The only places something like warm in Dec/Jan (perhaps a high of 60 or so) are southern Spain and southern Italy. I imagine both will be very festive for the holidays.

Turkey is not warm in the winter the temps are in the 40's or 30's except for a small part of the Med coast which may hit 50. The northern coast of Africa will be somewhat warmer and not celebrating Christmas in a big way.
Old Dec 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM

He can probably get dirt cheap packages from anywhere to tunisia.. or as mentioned the low cost flights.
check www.whichbudget.com for all the routes available from where he begins.

I agree Morrocco would also suit him.