Favorite Rome neighborhood for 7-9 days stay Sept-Oct 2014

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sister and myself, mid-50's in age--Totally confused by all the sections of town. I'm interested in hotel or B&B accomodations (but haven't ruled out a small apt) located in a charming and quaint neighborhood within walking distance of many tourists sites we'll visit. Staying in Vatican City is off the list. Trevi is mentioned a lot. Please comment from your experience.
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 07:16 AM

We rented an apartment by Campo de fiori last fall. It was a beautiful square that had a market set up in the mornings. We were able to walk and see a lot from this area. There was a great bakery around the corner for breakfast stuff and we had some great dinners that was close to the apartment. Have fun on your trip.
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know how you define "a charming and quaint neighborhood." Rome is a big city with an historical center jammed with tourists most of the year. It's my favorite city in the world, but when I think "charming and quaint" I think of small towns in the Italian countryside, not Rome.

We've stayed several times at the Hotel Fontanella Borghese and think the location is great. It's about halfway between the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona and an easy (and scenic) walk along the river to the Vatican and the Castello. Piazza di San Lorenzo is just a block away.

http://www.fontanellaborghese.com/en/

The Pantheon and Trevi areas are popular and are about 10 minutes closer to the Colosseum, Forum, etc., but they get too congested for me.
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 07:51 AM

We rented an apt. in Trastevere last time we were there, just off Piazza Cosimato. We walked everywhere from there. We used sleepinitaly.com, and had no problems.
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM

We loved our week in Trastevere!
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM

We really enjoyed staying at an apartment in the Jewish ghetto neighborhood. Lots of pedestrian streets so quieter than some other areas, and a very good, central location

There is an old thread describing different sections of the city. I will see if I can find it.
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM

This is the thread I was thinking of.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...tricts.cfm#top
Old Nov 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM

Air BnB for Rome has great descriptions of the different neighborhoods which I found quite useful. It covers the center and neighborhoods further out describing them in a little detail and locating them on a map.
https://www.airbnb.com/locations/rome/neighborhoods

We'll be staying close to the Campo die Fiori and the Piazza Navona in Parione which is very central and great for walking in any direction, but you can't go wrong with Trastevere if you're looking for charm. We also liked the Ghetto area. Bear in mind many of these areas are in the tourist center rather than a walk to the tourist sites.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Vttraveler: Franco's information was great but not so current. Still, it helps. Thanks for searching!
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 08:01 AM

I agree that "charming and quaint" probably aren't the best things to search for in the heart of a very big and bustling city. I think a quieter street, conveniently located, is probably what I go for.

Maybe using all these suggestions, then narrowing down some choices within them, will be a good idea. We can all probably relate to a certain street or micro-neighborhood.

For 7-9 days, I would want an apartment. A hotel room in a crowded city could get a bit close for two people. A one bedroom apartment with a place to sit outside of where you sleep could be perfect.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Just returned in September from first trip of 4 nights in Rome. Loved the Hotel Adriano., near the Piazza Navonne. We walked to all major sites and shopping too. We are in our 60's and 50s and wore a Fitbit and walked 24,000 steps in one day! Stay as close as you can to the historic center.
Old Nov 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM

I like being near Navona, especially around Via Giulia. Rented an apartment there several years ago and am going back late December and renting a few blocks away. I was able to walk to most places but felt that it was not overly congested or overly touristy.