Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Completely Confused! Rome Apartment: Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Pantheon or Trevi ??

Completely Confused! Rome Apartment: Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Pantheon or Trevi ??

May 25th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

I've read and read and read a million threads and STILL don't know where to stay. Last time I was in Rome we stayed in the Albergo Cesari and that location (Pantheon/Trevi/Spanish steps??) was very convenient to the popular sites.

This time, I am attempting to rent an apartment (late Sept/early Oct). I kind of like a "neighborhood" feel with bakeries, markets, etc., which I don't remember from the Cesari, but I also would like to be close to sites.

Is there a BEST location for what I (think I) am looking for? Can someone just TELL me where I should stay!
May 25th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Stay in Trastevere - you will definitely get the neighborhood feel (I lived there for four months) and it is one of the most beautiful sections of Rome. Full of tiny piazze, cafes, and churches, it is a great section of the city away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist traps.
May 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM

I would choose something near Piazza Navona or Campo Fiori. There are quite a few nice apts. in those areas and to me give me the neighborhood feel. Trastevere is interesting but make sure you understand what it's like before you choose it. It's not for everyone.
May 25th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Campo de' Fiori would be a great area for what you want, there is a great market there, bakeries and gelatos on the streets directly off the campo. But Piazza Navona is very close, and both are a great central location for being central to what you want to see with lots of great restaurants right there. So I think you would be happy with anything around Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Navona. Have a great trip!
May 26th, 2006, 12:20 AM

I agree with SusanP and Catbert.

Just returned from a glorious 15 day trip. For our Rome leg, we spent 3 nights in an apartment called Casa Alice, a minute's walk from the Pantheon. The best thing about the location is that we were just around the corner (half a minute's walk) from Giolliti's - a fab gelati place with a huge selection, and an excellent cafe for our morning coffee and brioche. Both are well patronised by locals.

The location is very central for walking - 2 minutes to Piazza Navona, 5-8 to Campo dei Fiori, 5 to Trevi Fountain, 10 to the Vittorio Emanuelle II monument (and the start of the Forum). It's also near enough to the Vatican to walk, though we took a bus.

The market at Campo dei Fiori is excellent! So much colour.

Our apartment cost EUR160 per night. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a sofabed in the living room. Fully equiped kitchen, dishwasher, washing machine. Only negative was that it was on the 4th floor with no elevator.

I booked through this website cross-pollinate.com. There's lots of choice of apartments from the areas you're looking at, with photos of the aptmts.

God, I loved Italy!!!!
May 26th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Ooops, sorry, the address should be http://www.cross-pollinate.com/

May 26th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!! Based on everything said, I will continue to look in the Piazza Navona and Campo d F area and keep my eye out for Trastevere too.

I woke this morning to quite a few email answers regarding my availability requests to various rental agencies. Unfortunately, none of the ones in my price range (150E) that I wanted are available for the dates I need.

In spite of including a list of areas I prefer, which were the ones above, one of the agencies recommended one near the Vatican! That is definitely too far from where I want to be.

Back to the drawing board but with a bit more confidence about the areas. There has got to be one out there somewhere!

Again, thank you!
May 26th, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

SPKC, The "Alice" apartmet I saw on rentalinrome.com (on Vicolo della Guardiola -- same one??) sounded wonderful! Unfortunately, my sister has recently developed a "knee problem" and finds walking steps difficult. It had a small balcony, which I LOVED! Ah well. I'll check out cross-pollinate.com.

May 26th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Just remember that those are all great areas to stay in and you can walk everywhere. Don't worry!
May 26th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I agree with Sandi. And Campo di Fiore, Piazza Navona and the Pantheon are all pretty close to each other, so if you stay near one you will pretty much be in the general vicintity of the other.

Of all the ones you listed, Trevi would be last on my list. The fountain is gorgeous but filled with people and those annoying guys that won't get off your back about buying some cheap plastic toy, rose, etc, from them. And personally I think there are nicer fountains in Rome.

We stayed in a wonderful apartment, which I found on Sleep in Italy, in March. Its on a side street very near Piazza Navona. Very quiet, and in a great neighborhood filled with restaurants that only seemed to be frequented by locals because it was about a five minute walk from Piazza Navona. The apartment itself was nothing too special, but to be honest we don't spend a lot of time in our apartment, and at 95 euro a night it was perfect for us. http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_sangiuliano.html

Good luck!
Tracy
May 26th, 2006, 08:32 AM
kr

I stayed here, cant beat the location, and the apartment was great also. About 20 yards from the Pantheon.

http://www.romeby.com/pantheonapart/index.html
May 26th, 2006, 09:03 AM

If you like the looks of Tracy's apartment, it's in the perfect location. Anywhere just off Governo Vecchia is great. Also, be sure to watch out for high floors with no elevators. Remember if they say 5th floor, that means 6th by US standards because the first floor is ground floor.

I rented through sleepinitaly.com and found them to be really great to work with.
May 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Celiaane - Yup, Casa Alice is at Vicolla della Guardiolla. And no, it's not very good for bad knees. Not to worry, as everyone says, lots of other good places to be found in these areas. Good luck!

May 26th, 2006, 07:24 PM

We stayed here in APril. Between Piazza Navona and Campo di Fiore. Wonderful restaurants wight around the corner. Walking distance to shopping.

Drawback is lack of a/c - but only a problem in the summer.

We stayed in the Bartolo Apartment.

http://www.palazzo-olivia.it/

Donna
May 27th, 2006, 02:33 AM

Yes, choosing an apartment is difficult isn't it!

I thought I'd got one sorted back in February with sleepinitaly, but they just told me it is not now available so it was back to researching. However, I also changed my dates slightly, and once I had fixed dates, Guilia at SII was able to email me a list of all the apartments that were still available for those dates. I then went to their website, list in hand, and scrolled down checking out the available apartments. Very quickly I was able to cross some off due to price, location, 5th floor no lift, etc.

I narrowed it down to 2, and let my daughter make the final decision. This apartment was still free, and my deposit was transferred.

I read your other post, about your sister's bad knee, and this apartment is on the 1st floor but there is a lift, and as we are going mid-October it might be free for you a week or so earlier.

It is very close to the Pantheon, no reviews on slowtrav, but that doesn't bother me. Here is the link, and I suggest you email Guilia with your specific dates which will make your research easier...

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_rondanini.html

Good luck and have a great trip!
May 27th, 2006, 05:37 AM

I have to agree with the posters suggesting Piazza Navona or Campo Fiori. Both are great locations with lots of restaurants. The last time in Rome we stayed in the Campo Fiori and found ourselves walking through Piazza Navona for restaurants or sites so I would probably stay there. Trastevere is interesting. Not as central, alittle like the West Village in New York.
May 27th, 2006, 06:12 AM

I would stay in Trastevere again!
May 27th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Tracy, "your" apartment looks great, and I love the location -- and price! We are still hoping to get a place with a separate bedroom -- if possible.

kr, also a very nice one -- but it's too many steps for my sister...

donnapg, I like all of their apartments and I checked on Berta (the smallest one), but it isn't available. The others are beyond our budget.

julia, the Rondanini was at the very top of my list but it isn't available for our dates. I did mail Giulia a list of what we are interested in, budget, etc., on Friday. I am hoping to get a list of available ones on Monday!

Thank to everyone for all your suggestions and advice. I welcome them all!
May 28th, 2006, 05:00 AM

hello, Celianne.
We run a bed and breakfast in Rome (Trastevere-Monteverde area) and we are proud to say that our prices are surely the best you can find in Rome: we have checked the prices of other B&B and simply decided to be competitive offering our room at the lowest price in town.
The room is quite large, has a private bathroom and a private balcony.
Also wireless internet connection is available and included in the price, as well as breakfast.
Pictures are available.
If interested in more detailed info, just email us at: [email protected]
Regards,
Julia & Emi
May 28th, 2006, 05:03 AM

Celianne, I forgot to say that we have also a smaller room, with private bathroom, and a even better price.
Prices are (all inclusive):

SINGLE (1 person):
large room: 60 EUR per night
small room : 40 EUR per night

DOUBLE (2 persons):
large room: 100 EUR per night
small room : 70 EUR per night

Pics are available.
E-mail: [email protected]