Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting an apartment in Rome - campo dei fiori/navona or trastevere?

Old Dec 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't decide upon the two areas, although close by. Have a few good options in each.
Going with a "sleep in italy apartment" for a few days. seems to make more sense than a hotel. we like to shop markets for local goodies, enjoy them for bkfst or appetizers. anyone have a strong feeling about either area? i hear trastevere is lovely and charming, but some
say(sadly) made less picturesque by so much graffiti - noisy and rowdy? is navona more convenient ? i have nothing against urban grit, it has it's place - just not sure i want it on vacation in italy....thanks for feedback!
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM

Can't wait to read the replies you get. We are planning a 4 night stay in Rome and are a family of 5. I heard NOT to go to trastevere and to stay closer to the Spanish steps. Let's see what we find out.
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 11:33 PM

We recently stayed in tis apartment in Trastevere:
http://www.vrbo.com/157018
The apartment was very nice and its terrace was very pleasant but we did find it a bit of a hassle as it was quite a climb up from Trastevere. The actual centre of Trastevere was lively and perhaps somewhat noisy as a result but I would not have said that it was unduly affected by graffiti or that it was rowdy. Our apartment was well served by 2 local buses and getting to & around Rome centre was not a problem. Nevertheless, if I had my time again I would probably look for a more central apartment, probably around Campo di Fiori - piazza Navona, just to be a bit closer to the historical centre. Enjoy your stay in Rome!
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 02:16 AM

Trastevere is no more plagued with graffiti than Campo dei Fiori is. Both areas attract young people from the borgate, the residential projects on the periphery of Rome, who come to the center to get drunk and to leave their mark. Graffiti in Rome are actually called by the English name "writing". They are somewhat less conspicuous in the more upscale or residential areas, such as Spanish Steps and Prati.

For a central location, though, nothing beats Pantheon or Campo dei Fiori or Piazza Navona.
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback, but i just toured roma via google earth
and essentially answered my own questions. yes, there is graffiti - or "writing' as they call it in italian - all over, not just in trastevere. it's in the campo, near navona, etc. so it's a matter of choosing a location for ambiance and convenience. it reminds me of pre-guliani nyc, when i used to live in the east village around the time that break dancing and
hip hop went viral. oh well, urban scrawl may beat the urban sprall of los angeles (my home now. altleast the art & architecture has immense history and significance and the food and vino are damn good!
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 10:37 PM

Good grief. Graffiti has existed in Italy for hundreds of years, long before NY or LA even existed. Florence Tourist Board runs a tour of graffiti from the 1400's.
http://www.firenzeturismo.it/en/fire...-florence.html

I much prefer Trastevere over the Spanish Steps area (last place most would recommend staying). As long as you stay in the part of Trastevere close to the historic center and not somewhere out at the far edges of the area. Get a Roma Pass and hop the little electric buses that run through Trastevere to other areas in the historic center if you don't want to walk.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 05:03 AM

My vote goes for the Ara Pacis-Piazza Spagna-Navona zones,you will walk everywhere.Anyway you will certainly enjoy your swtay ar a beautiful city(you can read my report if you click on my name).
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

i'm posting something here written by an anonymous person (in other words, not mine)Graffiti is one of my pet hates. I do happen to think that Italy has one of the worst graffiti problems around Europe and it's just more pervasive here. I think a lot of it goes back to there being little respect for authority (like the police do much to stop this here...). And also a lack of respect for common spaces and civilized life. I've heard people say the kids are "just trying to express themselves" and that's a bunch of BS. I'd like to take one of their motorini and express myself by spraying my "tag" all over it and kicking in the headlight. That's the same kind of self expression, right? Not to sound like such a fun sponge, but I truly hate the graffiti and think that even if it exists in areas that aren't "ghettos," it just ruins everything. They inaugurated a new park by my house a year ago and now it's overrun with trash, graffiti and broken benches and streetlamps. I've been here 7 years but I still "see" the graffiti and hope to never "just get used to it."
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Our apartment, just a two minute walk from Campo dei Fiori http://italyperfect.com/rome-campo-d...la-giulia.html had some graffiti on the building and it in no way detracted from the charm of the apartment or the area. We were one block off via Giulia on a small lane barely wide enough for a smart car. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. I am glad that I didn't let the graffiti issue get in the way of me staying there.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 11:49 AM

If you're that hung up about graffiti, maybe you should skip Rome. But Siena is not guaranteed graffiti-free either.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:09 PM

We stayed in this great apartment that is close to Campo de Fiori, right off Via Guilia on the north end. On many major bus lines, 30 seconds to the Tiber and 3 minutes walk to the Castel Sant'Angelo; 20 mts to Piazza Navona. Ten-fifteen to Vatican.

http://www.flipkey.com/properties/vi...456/orbitelli/
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 01:30 PM
SAB

Sarge--This past September we stayed in the same apartment. Great location, very quiet and yet very close to many places.

Although I like the Trastevere, I would prefer to stay where we did.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:34 PM

I think they are all fine locations. My wife, son & I stayed in Trastevere earlier this fall, on via San Francesco a Ripa. The character of the neighborhood, to me, is very similar to the area around Campo de Fiori or Piazza Navonna. There was a great cheese shop in the 1st floor of our building, an a nice carry-out about 1/2 block down the street. Plenty of restaurants in Trastevere too. The only drawback I noticed was, if you like to walk to the historical sights, its farther because you are across the Tiber. But the public transportation is good, especially with the #8 tram along Viale Trastevere that takes you into the center. You can also easily pick up the #3 bus which takes you the Coloseum.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 10:15 AM

I stayed in an apartment on San Francesco a Ripa in Trastevere for 3 months and I loved it. Trastevere to me has a much more "neighborhood" feel because it is set back from all the major tourist attractions. As far as grafitti goes, it is is everywhere. But it is also everywhere else in Rome. I enjoyed the area because Trastevere has a great labyrinth of streets lined with quaint shops, cafes, and restaurants that is really what I pictured Rome being like.

Not to say Campo is bad. It has a great market, and a lot of shops near by. I am not sure what time of year you are going, but when I was in Rome I was in college and in the summer/fall Campo is where all the 20 somethings go to party and drink... so it can get a bit noisy.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:36 AM

My vote is for Trastevere. We have stayed in Rome many times including three times in Campo dei Fiori. Our favorite is definitely Trastevere, mostly for the reasons Alliesun notes.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 11:54 AM

Adding one more opinion: ..I would not stay in Trastevere again. It wasnt the graffiti (although it did seem more omnipresent there) but the constant noise and fumes of motorbikes which, while everywhere in the city, seemed more noticeable in Trastevere--it felt more "congested" (or maybe that was the fumes ) than other parts of Rome.

I'm with those who recommend a flat in the area around Campo dei Fiori. After walking and eating near there, we decided if we returned to Rome, that'd be the area in which to stay.

Speaking of graffiti--try to go on the tour of the Vatican excavations (I sasume they still do it) and you will see graffiti on a tomb. The guide had us laughing when she said , "After much research, the experts figured out the message . It said, 'I was here.' "
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 12:36 PM

hi susla,

in our two week-long stays in Rome, we spent the first in an apartment in the Monti area [between the vis cavor and the via nazionale] and the 2nd near the piazza navona. although the first apartment was by far the nicer, the position of the 2nd more than made up for that. it was just so easy to get everywhere. either we could walk, or there were buses from the corso vittorio emanuale.
and certainly in the area we were in [near the via coronari] there was little/no graffiti that I can remember. it was not particularly touristy, loads of interesting "local" shops and restaurants, plenty to see and do in the immediate area.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

seems the current popular vote out there is split between campo di fiori and trastevere. I have apt options in each - still cant decide. (fyi zerlina: i did not write that piece about graffiti -i'm just posting here for lively discussion! the last time i was in rome was 85' - long before urban culture and its iconography was appropriated/co-opted by kids in european cities) then i stayed across the street from the pantheon. a bit too busy but central. my current choices for apt rentals: via coronari, via falegnami, or via cedro. that apt a few folks stayed in on via guila is great - has 7 day min though...
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM

If you haven't been to Rome before then I would strongly suggest that you stay in Piazza Navonna or somewhat more near the historical area. Staying in Trastevere is more for people who want to use public transportion and be off the beaten path.Spanish steps is very trendy,expensive and tons of tourists-both good and bad.
I frequent Rome every month for work and in my opinion most people are scared or do not want to use public transportation which is so sad.
Rome is a dirty and noisy city but if you appreciate its own unique beauty and culture,you will love it like the rest of us!
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM
SAB

susLa --if you are referring to the apartment on Orbitelli, it only has a 3 day minimum, which is the amount of time we stayed in September before going to Umbria.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information