excursions

Jan 11th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Original Poster

excursions

Is it better book them or to go it alone some of them are expensive,two trips civitaveccia for rome and livorno for pisa,any ideas please.mike
Jan 11th, 2015, 11:26 PM

Mike,, I am not quite clear.. where exactly are you visiting.

I book most of my stuff on my own.. and do my own daytrips etc. If and when I book a tour I always book directly with tour company.. not with a middleman booking agency like Viatour..

Are you coming in on a cruise( just realized that may be the case) .. if so .. please go to another forum I know about.. it is the best forum for cruising( I have been on quite a few of them myself, but not for europe)

cruisecritics.com..

Sorry I am not good at links.. just google for it..

The reason I advise this is because they have different forums for each cruise line. .and each ship , and each port.. so you can get SPECIFIC answers that will apply to your particular port of call. Plus sometimes people hook up with other people to share private excursions ( they are pricey)

One thing is.. if you are doing Civitavechia to Rome I would choose to do the ship sponsored one.. as if you miss the train and are late back to ship.. they will leave you.. if you are on the tour and bus is caught in traffic they will wait.. and its a long way between the two.. Rome is no where near the cruise ship port.
Jan 12th, 2015, 01:08 AM

Civitavecchia is a long way out of Rome and if you want to visit the city independently, you'll find getting into Rome is expensive too. A cab from the port into Rome will run between €150 and €200 but if there are several couples rather than one family, it makes it cheaper per head. You will need to do your research before you go, so that you have a clear idea of what you want to see to avoid wasting your day and just wandering around. (True of anywhere). Port to Rome is over 80km and will take the best part of an hour or so. Traffic can get really busy on the autostrada, so build that in.

You can catch a train from the station in Civitavecchia into Rome which is I think around €10 pp. See:

http://www.civitavecchia.net/travellers-trains.html

Livorno is much closer to Pisa, being around 25km and you can catch a train into Pisa:

http://www.livornonow.com/going_to_p...n_from_livorno

A bus is the cheapest option. You need to check on times etc for the time of year that your trip covers. For trains, always buy your tickets from the machine to avoid queues at the ticket offices.
Jan 12th, 2015, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

justineparis,we are on a cruise,and we stop of in livorno for Pisa,and Civitaveccia for Rome. thanks
Jan 12th, 2015, 04:55 AM

You just need to make sure you understand the timing involved - since these cities are quite far from the cruise ports and you don;t want to be delayed in getting back to the ship.

Agree to try cruisecritic for more info. If you don;t want to take the cruise's day trips you might find others wanting to do separate or private tours.