Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

prebook shore excursions or find a deal upon docking in europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

My family and I are going on the Celebrity Millenium for a 12 day European cruise. I looked up private guided tours of Florence and Rome and thought the price was pretty steep (550 euros/4 people). I was wondering if anyone has any experience getting a private guide for these cities upon docking? Is it cheaper?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:59 AM

We did this cruise - REALLY enjoyed it. Now to your question - make your way over to the Cruise Critic board (www.cruisecrtitic.com)- then go to the part with all the crusie lines listed and go to the Celebrity board and see if you can find a listing for a "Roll Call" for your cruise - you may be able to combine with others for a cheaper / pre-arranged tour. You can also go to the part of the board that lists the ports of call and get more information about these ports to help you plan an expedition on your own. Both Florenece and Rome are at least an hour away from where the ship docks - you can access both cities by train but it would be good to have done some homework ahead of time. Rome is a city where it could be a good idea to either go with the ship's excursion or pre-arrange one with another tour guide esp. if you want to maximize your sightweeing time there. Lines to the attractions can be long (Vatican) and the sites are spread out beyond comfortable walking distance (IMO) plus it can be easy to get "lost". Not really lost but off track and using up time when you might want to be seeing the tourist sights instead. Have a wonderful time - we loved the ship, ports of call, the whole 12 days were just womderful!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, Suec1.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I've now taken 3 Celebrity cruises, and have felt their shore excursions are pretty good. Steep, but good.

SueC1's recommendation is also great. There are roll calls for each cruise, but you have to sign up to be able to access the roll calls.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:33 AM

Hi Af - You could get to Rome (- from Civitavecchia) and Florence (- from Livorno) cheaply by train - and join a tour there (- or plan your own).

Alternatively you can book a taxi or private limo tour from either port. The going rate for a day-trip is normally about € 300-350.

Hope this helps ...

Steve