EWR to FCO, will it be cancelled?

Feb 20th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

EWR to FCO, will it be cancelled?

Our flight to Rome hasn't had any activity in weeks - not one single additional seat has been sold, according to the seating chart that I check obsessively. The flight is only 2/3 full with less than a month to go.

Continental is asking upwards of $900/pp for the remaining seats on my flight. Should I worry about the flight being cancelled? Or will they run a sale to fill up the plane? I can't imagine many people buying tickets now, when the itinerary with an Amsterdam connection is half the price.
Feb 20th, 2004, 10:05 AM
jenifer

I have no idea what the limits are for them to cancel flights or not, but I do have one thought:

What would worrying about whether it will be cancelled do for you? It will either fly, or it won't. If it doesn't, they'll put you on another flight. I'm not sure there's anything you could do differently today as a result of this concern, so I'd try not to worry about and just see what happens when the time comes.

Feb 20th, 2004, 10:13 AM

Many flights go two-thirds full and it's not an issue that you should be worrying about at all. Maybe it will end up being one of those flights where you can stretch out in a center row, if you feel like it. It's a non-issue for you. Stop checking and just chill already!
Feb 20th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

You are of course right, Jenifer. I worry constantly about EVERYTHING, as the creases on my forehead prove. Just a tough of OCD, I think.

I'll try to chill.
Feb 20th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Maybe I need a more challenging career.

Or a break from Fodors for a week or so. I am really obsessing. I am just so excited to be going to Rome, I don't want anything to ruin it.

Happy Friday and have a great weekend. I'll try to not be back for a while.
Feb 20th, 2004, 10:30 AM

We were on a flight to Madrid last fall that had about 25 people in economy. Unless there are other issues, it will go.

Remember, they also have passengers booked on a return flight that is dependent on that aircraft getting to Rome. If they cancelled the outbound flight, they'd almost certainly have to cancel the return flight as well.
Feb 20th, 2004, 10:32 AM

nfd321,

You're not the only one that obsesses with their trip to Rome. I'm going on that same flight out of EWR in 2 weeks and although the flights are virtually sold out, I keep checking the seating charts( I'm not sure why!). As to what Continental is asking, I've seen them change their pricees 2 and 3 times on the same day. It's crazy!
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Continental won't cancel a flight that is 2/3 full. Even if they did have cancellation guidelines based on capacity, 2/3 full would certainly be more than enough for the flight to go. As a previous poster said, they still have to get the plane over there for the return flight. You also must remember that just because the seating chart did not change doesn't mean they didn't sell any more tickets. Some people do not reserve seats when they book, and just wait to do that at the airport.
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:30 AM

nfd.....There are millions of travellers who know only 1 or 2 airlines.....believe it or not! They live under rocks.If suddenly one of them had to make a trip to Rome, and the only airline they knew was Continental,that is the only airline they would call.Dont worry.Looking at a seating chart is positively no way to determine how many seats are sold.Just use your bain cells to generate excitement for being able to go.
Feb 20th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Also, airlines only pre-assign about 2/3 of their seats - the rest they do at check-in. That means empty seats might appear on the on-line seating charts, even tho a plane is sold out. But because those others haven't been assigned yet, you have the option of changing your seat on the computer until the rest are assigned at check-in.
Feb 20th, 2004, 12:22 PM

tell me about the amsterdam stop for half price. where did you see this?
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Sorry Helen, I didn't mean there's a half-price sale. It is just that for the day I am flying, the current price of the flight that connects through Amsterdam is half as much as they are charging for the direct flight, because the discount fares are sold out, it seems. The prices are all still way higher than what I paid back in January.

Thanks to everyone who understands my angst. Maybe it is slightly misguided, but my compulsive planning has made other trips runs smoothly, so I can't quit now!
Feb 20th, 2004, 01:41 PM
ira

Dear nd,

I have checked my crystal ball. Your flight will be cancelled.

However, you will be given a choice of an upgrade to First Class on a plane leaving ano hour later,

OR

Vouchers for $500 pp and a suite at the Hilton, dinner and breakfast included, if you fly the next day.
Feb 21st, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ira! I couldn't get the www.crystalball.com to work properly in English.

Now all I have to do is keep trying trenitalia.com for those sale train tickets!

Search this Thread