thoughts on my itenerary -italy please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm planning a month's stay in Northern Italy in May. I arrive in Rome, stay for 3 days, then we have booked an organized Tuscany tour for 7 days. I then want to return to Rome for another 5 nights. Then I'm thinking of driving? to Sirolo which is near Ancona for 4 nights - stay at Locanda Rocco. Then onto Bellagio for 5 nights - stay at Florence hotel or hotel Dy Lac. And finally go to Venice 7 nights and stay at either Locanda Correr or Villa Delle Palme on Lido Island. I need your opinions before finalizing my plans. Do you think I am spending too much time in one location? Should I split up my travel between Ancona and Bellagio?
Thank you
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Don't stay on the Lido. It's a beach resort and beach resorts are not yet at their best in May. Stay in historic Venice. Looks like a very nice trip.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:19 PM

Agree not to stay on the Lido - the trip back and forth to St. Mark's can rapidly become a pain - is expensive by launch (unless your hotel provides a free one)and if you wait for public transport can take forever.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:57 PM
rex

A third opinion about negative on the Lido - - but otherwise I am intensely jealous. Don't you think you need a sherpa? I work for a dollar a day.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:18 PM

Why so much time in Rome? I'd opt for something more unique...Sienna, Cinque Terre, hill towns of Fiuli. You can see all you need to see in Rome in about 3 days.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:51 PM
rex

LOL

Ditto 3 days is "enough" for New England. Right.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:05 PM

Keep your 3 days in Rome, don't shorten it! That is not even enough time. I am glad to read that you would like to return for another 5 nights. Why split it up like that? Since you are arriving in Rome, why not make the most of your stay, see everything you want to see there, then move on to Tuscany. No sense going back and forth... From Tuscany, it is a direct drive east towards the Marche region and Ancona. You can cut across the Veneto region and head up to Bellagio. I think all your locations are do-able, it just makes more sense to do them in geographical order, vs. back-tracking down south again.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:37 PM

I never said give up your three days...I was just wondering why you're going back for 5 more, when there is so much to see outside of the huge metropolitan areas.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 04:00 AM
ira

Hi frosty,

Lovely itinerary. I'm jealous.

I also suggest staying in Venice and not on the Lido.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:24 AM

You might want to stop between Bellagio and Venice -- Verona for 2 nights is lovely -- and since you have a car, consider driving North through the Dolomites to get to Venice, where I think 5 days is plenty. Dump your car as you won't need it. We did (that drive through the Dolomites)it a couple of years ago, on a clear, bright day in May arriving so that we took the vaporetto into Venice at sunset. It was the most visually sensational day of my entire travelling life.