Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Flying: Love It, White Knuckle It, Or Somewhere In Between?

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got back from a vacation and I couldn't believe how many of my friends and family asked me "aren't you afraid to fly?" or "didn't you get nervous?" or "don't you hate the hassle of air travel?"

I have to say that never once did it enter my mind that #1 - the plane might go down, or #2 - it's a pain to have to endure the lines and extra security checks. I don't get nervous or upset about such things. Am I a naive and easygoing freak (ha!) or are others out there the same as me? Maybe if I ever have a bad flight or get strip searched I'll feel differently, but for now, I absolutely love flying and don't view it as scary or inconvenient.

On a scale of 1 to 10, what's your flying fear factor?
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Somewhere in between! I LOVE to travel, so I have no other "timely" alternative. My husband is bothered by the lines, I am not real fond of "air turbulence". It makes me VERRRRY nervous (white knuckled). Judy
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:48 AM

I'm like Judyrem. There's very little alternative to flying if you want to be a traveler, so I make the hassles and overcoming the fear part of the adventure. I actually make it a personal challenge to myself to see how long I can go without getting frustrated or snapping at someone. As for the actual flight, I absolutely HATE takeoffs, stay pretty much bored but contented most of the flight, and can tolerate landings, but flying quit being a magical experience a long time ago (which is a pity, because when you think about it, it really is an amazing miracle).
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 06:48 AM

I'm mostly a white-nuckler. As long as the flight is smooth I can relax but once those bumps hit I'm a nervous wreck. I fly quite a bit but after all the years I'm still not used to it. And it amazes me how my husband just sleeps right through the bad flights but he will hold my hand while I sit there wide eyed making deals with God so we don't crash.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:04 AM

On one hand, I like to fly. On the other land, flights more then an hour I get REALLY uncomfortable...I just can stand sitting in an upright position without being able to prop my feet up for that long. I don't like ALOT of turbulence, but like they say, check the stewardesses, if they are still walking around, going about business or smiling and chatting casually, chances are there's not alot of alarm. I only have one white knuckle problem: LANDING. There is just something about the braking involved, the bouncing when we hit the ground, that just freaks me out. ESPECIALLY when the plane wavers or tilts before it lands. So about the time we start our descent, I'm already gripping my arm rests. My husband's used to it, he just humors me and tries to distract me. It was pretty funny though, once we were coming in for landing, we were wavering a bit, and I'm just squishing my eyes tight. The guy next to me said "are you afraid of landing?" when I told him yes, he said "actually, I'm a pilot. Landing is one of the safest things to do, taking off is alot more dangerous. This is fine"...just then we hit ground PRETTY hard, everyone slid bumped up and slid forward. HE gripped the armrests and said, "well okay, THAT landing wasn't so great"
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:07 AM

I used to love to fly and was never afraid or nervous. I traveled for business 100% of the time and would be in and out of the airports on a weekly basis throughout the year. I can even sleep soundly on a plane

Now I am nervous and have fear due to recent events within the past few years. I no longer travel for business but I do travel regulary for vacation. I haven't limited my traveling but the experience is different and I now get the "white knuckles".
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:24 AM
OliveOyl

For the most part, I'm fine unless there is so much turbulence that the wings appear almost to flap a little, then I start worrying they might just snap off with the pressures they are under. Silly, I know.

Take offs used to bother me until we moved next to the airport. Now I'm so accustomed to the various noises planes make at the end of the runway, it's just like being in my living room when I'm on the plane getting ready to take off, and I'll even fall asleep then if it's a particularly early flight.

Very windy landings are worrisome as the wings tip and dip and I worry they might just get a big gust at the last minute and take a big dip and catch a wing...like tripping over a curb.

Hmmm...on second thuoght...maybe I am a nervous flier? I also like everyone getting on my plane to be very clean cut. lol

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Surfrider

In terms of loving to fly, rate me 10, triple plus!!!

In terms of white knuckles, rate me zero!!!

What better way to travel is there? OK, if you're bothered by TSA procedures, you need to think what that's all about, and then calm down and submit, LOL. We make two-three trips per month, 99% by plane.

Gate agents, tickets offices, yep, they can be real pains - harldy a week goes by one one or the other doesn't piss me off. But five minutes later, all forgotten.

I'd make only one request: ticket folks, be kinder to the travelling public when they call you. We are all in this together, and you need us just like we need you.

Ready to fly when you are!!! Forget the terrorists, they are out there, but screw them.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:19 AM

My fear factor in flying is 0. Fun might be a factor if the seats were more comfortable, but they aren't so after a flight that lasts more than a few hours I have a backache.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:29 AM

Interestingly enuf, I fret about flying once I've made my reservation...But once I get to the airport and get in my seat, it no longer bothers me.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:25 AM
GoTravel

Kind of like riding in a car to me. I've never given it much thought. I guess I'm an ambivalent flyer, don't love it or hate it and I'm certainly not afraid to fly.

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:36 AM

I have no fear of flying whatsoever. I used to get a little nervous on occasion, until I dated a pilot. Once you can deal with the small planes, the jets are nothing.

Don't care for uncomfortable seats, long lines, and other factors I have no control over. But as for flying itself? Not a problem!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Love it, love it, love it! I've been an aviation buff all my life, so it helps to have knowledge of aircraft. Now, if only I could find the time or money to get my pilot's license...
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Let's just say love at first flight!!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:37 PM

Never been afraid to fly, I love it!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 12:47 PM

I can be a bit of a white knuckler, so I usually have about 10-12 margaritas prior to boarding.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:43 PM

I think its the noise that bothers me most of all..especially the tremendous roar at takeoff. It makes it seem like the plane is struggling to reach altitude.
The new 777s ive flown on are very quiet...and prefer them above others.
I think instead of a camera positioned on the nose of the plane showing on the screens, .there should be a fake but reassuring simulation of the plane taking off and landing. Im sure there will be some people who actually believe its their plane..and others like me who will pretend it is as comfort.
But..to answer your question..i guess in times like when you see the stars and moon below you...i truly love it.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 01:59 PM

I love to fly. I've always loved it, and still do -- I didn't have a moment's doubt about flying, even right after September 11. If something mechanical goes wrong, there's nothing I can do about it. If a terrorist is aboard and tries to take over the plane, I would do what I could to prevent it; but at that point, I'd be more concerned about the safety of the potential targets on the ground than my own personal safety.

Whatever will be, will be. I know my exits and stay alert, but worrying gets me nowhere. That plane, on the other hand, gets me to a new destination! I love it!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:12 PM

It's funny - I've been flying since I was a small child and really loved it until about 15 years ago when I started to get recurring nightmares about being in a plane crash.

But once I'm on a plane, I'm not scared at all - it's only before I get to the airport that I'm apprehensive. That said, I'm not a big fan of takeoffs and landings but once we're in the air I don't even think about it.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:37 PM

For some strange reason, I am more nervous on some flights than others. But these days, after having done it so many times, I just kind of will myself to whatever will be. (Saying that to myself calms me down). If figure, if something is going to happen, it's going to happen and there's not a damned thing I can do about it because we surely aren't driving to get there. My most tense times are taking off--it's a ritual for me to hold my hubby's bicep and almost breathe in a hyperventilation mode. Then, when we bank the first turn and start to climb, I ease back a little. I don't like coming down through clouds or when it looks like pea soup on a landing--always listening to make sure the landing gear has come down. Other than that, it's great BTW, with all the responses here from people who appear to be white-knucklers, why in the heck does everyone else but me "appear" to be so calm on the plane?? Must be those margaritas

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information