Search

Euro Trivia Quiz #10 - Martin Luther in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro Trivia Quiz #10 - Martin Luther in Germany

Two questions in today's Euro Trivia Quiz - both involving Martin Luther:

1- Luther took the alias Junker Jorg (the Knight George) and went into hiding in this castle in this town. the castle is a UNESCO World Heritage Site - on my tour their we saw the small chamber he stayed in and the ink stains allegedly from his ink pot he flung at the Devil when he appeared to him in the room. (Could well be apocryphal, I don't know).

Name the castle and town it is in.

2- This former East German town has many associations with Luther who apocryphally for sure (those many believe it to be fact) was said to nailed his demands to the church door.

Name this town as it was called in Luther's day and what the town is titled now.

No cheating - winner gets 10 Deutsche marks!
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
1. Luther's cell is in the Warburg castle just outside Eisenanch.

2. His theses were nailed to a church door in Wittenburg, now known as Lutherstadt-Wittenburg.

you can keep your D-Marks BTW!

The story we heard about the ink stains was that every so often, after they'd faded a bit, someone used to come along and ink them in again.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:44 AM

nice quiz, BTW.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:53 AM

>>>>>>>The story we heard about the ink stains was that every so often, after they'd faded a bit, someone used to come along and ink them in again.

Well if that doesn't describe religion to a 'T'.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks annhig for your nice comments. Bingo - the ten marks are waiting but you have to pay shipping and handling of about $45 for me to send them to Cornwall or is it Devon? Oh you did spell Witterburg incorrectly but the judges let it slide as it did you incorrectly putting a hyphen between the two names. Errors I also made before checking.

Though I stayed in Eisenach just after the Wall fell and the town was so so grubby and I suppose it has been gussied up a tad in retrospect I'd have stayed in Weimar or Naumburg or Erfurst - all really neat interesting cities a few miles apart - near Leipzig - One can easily spend a week or so here and have lots to see and do in a compact area.

I also first went to Lutherstadt Wittenberg shortly after the Wall fell and it was the pits too - broken streets, hapless store fronts still with little inside them and heavy pollution, etc. When I returned a decade or so later all had changed and L-W is now a gem, regardless of Luther's many associations with it a great place to stay or do a day trip from Berlin as I did.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 01:14 PM

lol, pal - your spelling's a bit rusty too - WitteNberg and Erfurt, not Erfurst, for example. I'm glad that you took that as evidence of my not cheating though.

When we visited last September [was that cheating on advance?] Eisenach still seemed a bit grim to us but the weather wasn't stellar. L-W was a bit off our route, so it'll have to wait till next time - probably June when we are going to be part of another exchange with judges from Naumburg, which i agree is a lovely place to visit.

I'll pass on the $45 handling charge for carriage to Cornwall. I graciously donate my prize to charity.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

probably June when we are going to be part of another exchange with judges from Naumburg>

At first I read judges from Nuremberg! Like those in the Nuremberg Trials! But I do not think you are a hanging judge?
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 02:42 PM

Sorry for nitpicking but the castle is named WarTburg.

As for Luther's theses, I believe there is truth in the legend because it matches academic customs. If someone wanted an academic discussion about a certain topic and theses, he'd put them up in advance on a noteboard, as which the door of the university church served.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM

If you're doing questions about early protestantism how about doing some queries on Jan Hus?
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 06:16 AM

Quokka - I KNEW that. darned typing.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 06:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You would think someone would have cleaned up the ink after all these years. A bit like the story about the candle in Rome that had burned for a thousand years, an invader snuffed it out saying "a thousand years is long enough". And don't even get me started on the Gordian knot.
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 07:12 AM

>>The story we heard about the ink stains was that every so often, after they'd faded a bit, someone used to come along and ink them in again.<<

I suppose the ancient craft of resupplying bleeding statues of saints died hard...
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 08:00 AM

annhig, I understand, I am lousy at typing myself...
Old Dec 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Yes I should better read what I write - I knew it were WarTburg but typed Warburg and even skimmed over it without realizing my mistake.