Reload this Page >

The effect of the Euro in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Rudy

My German relatives have written me, expressing how unhappy they are since the Euro replaced the Mark. They feel that many things are now more expensive for them. Have those of you who have travelled in German both before and after the Euro found any difference in prices relative to the American dollar?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Sue

I'd also appreciate hearing from others on this topic. My daughter was in Germany in 1998 and is returning in August to attend the University. Any information about prices would certainly be helpful when trying to plan her budget. Thanks

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:09 PM
StCirq

I haven't been in Germany for several years but my experience with the euro in general is that countries are "rounding up" the previous prices so that everything is a bit more expensive. I've also noticed in France that, for example, when you buy shampoo, you're paying the equivalent euro price for a bottle that has less in it than it did before. Definitely, manufacturers are taking advantage of the changeover to euros to make a buck here and there. But overall, I wouldn't call it outrageous, more like a cost of living increase, a very small percentage. And to be fair, converting from the original currency to the euro wasn't that easy, and did anyone expect them to round down?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Russ

St. Cirq is quite correct. Germany saw an immediate jump in real prices in January when the Euro took over. Things are overall a little more expensive than a year ago, and the Euro has become stronger against the dollar since January. I'd guess the increase to be around 10% or so altogether. Still, prices are lower there than for equivalent goods and services here in California.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:17 PM
gail

I'm not certain but I don't think it's only affecting Germany. Since Italy converted to the Euro it appears to me that things are more expensive. Last year the exchange was 2000 lira/$1USD. Now the $ is almost one to one with the Euro.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Linda

I live in Germany and things are definitely more expensive. At a nearby restaurant, for example, we used to pay 60DM for a meal for a family of five, which in dollars was less than $30. For the same food and drink, we now pay 42 euro. The exchange is getting worse -- it's getting close to 1 dollar equals 1 euro. Ouch!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Doug Weller

Don't confuse the exchange rate with increases in local prices due to the Euro.<BR><BR>Among other things, when you exchanged dollars last year for, say, DMs, you were actually exchanging against the Euro, as all current Euro currencies were fixed against the Euro even though they were still using their old currencies.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 02:11 AM
MH

The fact is that folks got greedy when they converted their prices. By law they were supposed to round up to the nearest whole cent, not two or three cents higher or in the case of my local chinese restaurant who rounded up to the nearest euro. They now have tables available all the time.Unfortunately, the German gov't is not going to do anything about this but it is an often talked about amongst the expats who live in Germany...I am seriously considering moving back to the states due to my paycheck doesn't go nearly as far as it did 6 months ago...depressing thought going back to the mediocrity of american life, chain restaurants and malls....

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:46 AM
xxx

Here's an example: The Schones Wochenende (happy weekend) ticket used to cost 40dm and now it costs 21 euros, which equates to 41dm. 20 euros would be 39.12dm, so they rounded way up when IMO they should have rounded down.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Linda

&lt;&lt;Message: Don't confuse the exchange rate with increases in local prices due to the Euro&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>The bottom line is that my American dollar doesn't go as far as it did before the Euro came on the scene, whether it's in higher prices or the exchange rate. We're here for 2 more years, so I hope it gets better.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:13 AM
xxx

I was wrong!! They raised the price from 40dm to 28 euros!! What a rip!! Supposedly many other euro countries have laws about not raising prices at the same time as the euro was introduced, but Germany doesn't. The politicians who said such laws weren't necessary are now denying the price increases.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:10 PM
christina

We've been living in Germany for a bit over a year and haven't noticed much of a difference while traveling, but that said, shopping out of the already inflated tourist areas (where you expect it to be expensive) has become a bit more pricey, the exchange rate has dropped so much since the euro was introduced...it's all relative anyways, depends on what you consider expensive or not!