EU passport

Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

EU passport

My son will be in his last yr of school next yr. He holds 2 passports - Australian & EU (British). Apparently he can study at a UK uni for the same cost as a UK resident & work w/out a whv. Can he also work in Europe in the EU countries?

I would like him to do a "gap" yr as he's young for the grade. He'll be 16 in June, & 17 when he finishes late 2008.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM

With a UK passport he can work and live anywhere in the EU.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 10:18 PM

<<< Apparently he can study at a UK uni for the same cost as a UK resident & work w/out a whv. >>>

Whilst he may be able to work without a visa he needs residency (think about 3 years) before he can go to UK universities as a UK student
Feb 22nd, 2007, 11:07 PM

Yes, there is a three year residency requirement to get the 'home' student fees at UK universities.

He can work throughout the EU.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:05 AM

When it comes to rules about studying at a UK University, I would get in touch with UCAS
http://www.ucas.com/address.html

No disrespect to posters on this forum, but information is better coming from an official source
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the info. MissPrism...thanks for that useful link - I'll certainly check them out,
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:40 AM

True, but UCAS deals only with the application process, and has nothing to do with fees.

You need to look at the department of education and skills, which will send you to this site for overseas students: UKCOSA http://www.ukcosa.org.uk/pages/advice.htm
From their FAQs
Will I pay the 'home' or 'overseas' fee?
Only certain categories of students will be charged the 'home' fee. In very general terms, these are:

persons who have permanent residence in the UK and have been resident in the UK for three years;

EEA and Swiss workers and their spouses, civil partners and children in the UK who have been resident in the EEA or Switzerland for three years;

EU nationals and their spouses/civil partners and children who have been resident in the EEA or Switzerland for three years;

refugees (recognised by the UK government) and their spouses/civil partners and children; and

persons who applied for asylum and as a result have been granted Exceptional Leave, Humanitarian Protection or Discretionary Leave, and their families.

So, as we said, three years residency will be required.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:40 AM

His 3 years can be spent in another EU country in order to qualify as a home student.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM

Having permanent residence is not the same as being a UK citizen.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:52 AM

I was the official source on this for a university once, and you need to know that each university is expected to make its own judgement when applying the rules. But I'm absolutely sure that if he has not been living in the EU for three years before he starts university, he will be charged overseas fees. Citizenship of the UK or another EU country only helps to the extent that it allows residence elsewhere in the EU to be counted towards the three years, otherwise it would have to be three years in the UK. But this is something you and he would have to check with each university he eventually comes to apply to.

Likewise, I'd be surprised if the UK's working holiday arrangement with other Commonwealth countries is replicated elsewhere in the EU. This would have to be checked with each country's representatives.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:03 AM

" I'd be surprised if the UK's working holiday arrangement with other Commonwealth countries is replicated elsewhere in the EU"

What's that got to do with anything?

The boy's British, so he can work more or less anywhere in the EU (actually, he can't work in Romania or Bulgaria which have got themselves into a tizzy over our pointless restrictions on their people, but leave that).

The fact that he also has an Australian passport is of no significance.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:09 AM

Anther provision of this residence rule is that any time you spend mainly for receiving education is discounted, so should your son go to UK or another EU country to attend school or college prior to starting university, that period doesn't count towards the 3 years. He will really have to be in employment or similar capacity.
The difference between overseas and home student fees is vast, like £10000 vs £3070 per year, and he will not be eligible for financial support home students get, like (means-tested) grant and loans.
Best site to look is UK government's http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/index.htm
Feb 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

flanneruk...yes his Oz pp is of no significance - except upon landing back in Sydney.

All I'm enquiring is about a young lad who's held an EU pp since he was 5 mths old (which he's never used, though renewed)as best as I can afford a future...