Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Daughter has British passport can she get free education in UK

Daughter has British passport can she get free education in UK


May 1st, 2016, 01:55 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Daughter has British passport can she get free education in UK


My husband is British by birth and my 8 year daughter is getting a British passport for us to go an stay in UK for 12 months. Is she entitled to free public education whilst we are over there?

Secondly I am applying for a spouse visa an hope to work whilst there (I am a registered nurse) however the criteria states my husband has to have a job earning $xx . He won't have a job in the UK as we live in Australia but will apply to work in UK but it appears that he must have a job already if I am to qualify for a spouse visa.

Any help on both these questions would be great. Thanks in advance.

sharyn1969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 02:23 AM
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,575
I think you've answered your own question on the second one. If you don't meet the criteria, you don't meet the criteria. Maybe you should contact the school near where you'd be living for information on your daughter attending there, as I'm assuming you are living with family if neither of you are employed yet? I think in your case there must be unknown background information that would make it difficult for folks here to help you.
marvelousmouse is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 03:54 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 18,931
Education rules and systems are devolved so will be different in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but as far as I know, the only immigration-based limitation on a child's admission to state education would be if they have been admitted to the country as tourists, or solely for the purpose of study:


If they have come with a parent who has been admitted to work, that presumably means neither of those applies (especially if the child also has a British passport).

But the prior question is about your and your husband's employment status, and I'm no expert in finding your way around that quandary. Is there any prospect of applying for a job and work permit in your own right without relying on your husband's status?

PatrickLondon is online now  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 05:49 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,297
With British passport, your daughter has right of abode so can attend state school.

You need a visa as family member of a British citizen and for that your husband has to meet the financial requirement. If he works in Australia earning at least £18,600 gross, then he needs a job offer in UK earning at least as much starting within 3 months of arrival. If he doesn't work or earn that much in Australia, he has to start work in UK and stay in the job for at least 6 months before he can sponsor you for a visa. Alternative to earned income is having savings to the value of £62,500, held for at least 6 months, or a combination of the two.
Read https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/overview
While it says someone living permanently in UK, your husband is deemed to be settled in UK the moment he sets foot in UK.
Alec is online now  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 06:11 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22,528
You say your husband was born in Britain. Is he also a British citizen?
thursdaysd is online now  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 06:20 AM
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,586
Asking a consulate maybe ?
Whathello is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 07:23 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,891
It doesn't matter what passport you or your daughter have, it is compulsory for her to attend school while you are resident in the UK. You may not get the school of your choice, but since school attendance is mandatory she is entitled to free education. This link may be of help:
Heimdall is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 08:05 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,297
There is compulsory education but not compulsory schooling, as home education is allowed. There is little red tape involved, you can just home school your child without permission or approval, though your local education authority can make an informal inquiry and can compel you to send her to school if they think she is receiving inadequate education.
Alec is online now  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 08:21 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,891
Hi Alec, thanks for the clarification to what I wrote. Yes, home schooling is allowed too, and home education is one of the categories of "Sending a child to school" in my first link.

In the area where I live there are many American children attending local schools, and also families who choose home schooling. The point I was making is that it is compulsory for all children from 5 to 16 to have full time education regardless of nationality.
Heimdall is offline  
Reply With Quote
May 1st, 2016, 09:57 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 57,646
Have you looked in licensing to be an RN in the UK. I know that different countries have different standards and you may well need to be relicensed in order to work there. Before assuming that you can work there do look into this.

(The wife of a colleague of mine who came to our US office was a OR nurse in the UK and found that to get certification in New York she had to take additional courses as well as pass the exam.)
nytraveler is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:12 PM.