Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I study in the EU if I am a UK Passport holder living in Australia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2015, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next year my family is moving back to the UK after 15 years in Australia.
I want to know if I will be eligible to apply for Masters programs at UK and EU universities?
I have a UK passport, but was born in Aus. Both parents emigrated from the UK.
I need to know if I should enrol in a course here and organise exchange or if I can enrol in Europe.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 05:34 AM

If you have a UK passport you can apply to any EU university as an EU student, and will pay EU rates. Check with the university you want to apply to, but I suspect that if you enroll as an Australian student, you will pay much more in tuition.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 05:39 AM

Why don't you ask a UK consulate in Australia ?
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 07:40 AM

Tulips: It's not always that straightforward, for example St Andrews in Scotland charges residents of "rest of the UK" much higher tuition than other EU country residents.

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/student...le/#d.en.78537
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 08:58 AM

The general rule is that all EU students pay the same. I wonder if the Scottish practice would be upheld in the European court.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 09:05 AM

"If you have a UK passport you can apply to any EU university as an EU student, and will pay EU rates."

You're confusing two separate issues.

Visa status. UK citizens do not need a visa to study anywhere in the EU (or, I believe elsewhere in the EEA or Switzerland)

Fee rules. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, undergraduates - and most graduate students - who have UK, EEA or Swiss nationality AND have lived in the EEA/Switzerland all their life pay a reduced fee (at major universities, typically £9,000 a year for an undergraduate course, against the £15,000 non-Europeans pay). For Europeans who have lived in Europe for the past three years, the lower "European" rate may apply.

In Scotland, British taxpayers' subsidies are misdirected into an absurd piece of spite in which the lower rate applies to those Europeans who have lived in Scotland or in Europe, but outside the EU. English (and Welsh and Northern Irish) students have to pay the same rate ass students from countries that make no contribution to European funds.

If the Scotch ever have the courage of their politicians' convictions and bugger off - AND if we let them join the EU, which obviously this sort of deliberate nastiness is meant to ensure we don't - they'll have to let English students pay the same, even though then we won't then be subsidising their politicians' stunts.

But that's the only complication.
Old Aug 20th, 2015, 09:29 AM

<i>In Scotland, British taxpayers' subsidies are misdirected into an absurd piece of spite in which the lower rate applies to those Europeans who have lived in Scotland or in Europe, but outside the EU. English (and Welsh and Northern Irish) students have to pay the same rate ass students from countries that make no contribution to European funds.</i>

It's one of the benefits Margaret negotiated - the ability to apply local laws to local citizens.