Edinburgh vs. Amsterdam vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In mid March, I'm planning on taking my first European vacation in years (1 week). I found some good deals for Edinburgh, Amsterdam and London and find myself leaning toward Edinburgh or Amsterdam. I'm having a hard time making up my mind and would be curious to get feedback. I know there's no "right" answer to this question, but other people's opinions would help me make up my mind one way or the other. One concern I have re: Amsterdam is the language barrier.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:15 PM

There's no language barrier to speak of in Amsterdam, because practically everyone seems to speak English. Both are lovely cities. I might make my decision based on the weather. Check weatherunderground.com for March dates. My perception is that Amsterdam is cheaper, but I'm comparing it to Edinburgh during the festival, so the comparison may not be fair.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:21 PM

Edinburgh is beautiful, with the castle looming above the city. One drawback is that it is very hilly. Amsterdam is more walker-friendly. We like the outdoor markets in Amsterdam. Both cities rate high with us, so probably not much help with your decision.
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:27 PM
nbujic

Hi,
having visited both( and liked both ) I still vote for Amsterdam.
It is one of the most charming places in Europe. Plus great museums and beer!
Once ( lost) in Amsterdam I asked a passerby is she spoke English. The woman looked at me in amazement and answered " Of course!"

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:47 PM

You can't lose! I think you can throw dice or pull short straws and be very happy with your destination. We love Scotland and always include Edinburgh in that mix, still haven't seen it all. Then again we almost always fly into Amsterdam and enjoy everything that city offers.

You are in a win-win situation! Enjoy!
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the feedback. I went to weather underground and compared the weather in Amsterdam and Edinburgh during my projected travel dates over the past few years. It looks like Edinburgh tends to be much rainier than Amsterdam in mid-March. For that reason alone, I may pick Amsterdam for this trip because of the better odds for better weather. I guess I know now why travel packages are so affordable in March in both places!!
Old Dec 31st, 2006, 03:00 PM

Amsterdam.
the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, easy walking, water tours, dinner on a boat at dusk, and....the EUR/USD exchange is much much better than the USD/GBP.

Old Dec 31st, 2006, 05:36 PM
MaureenB

We loved Amsterdam. Such a charming and friendly and beautiful city. Everyone seems to speak English, as they must learn it in school, one native told us. They always answer "of course" to whatever you need. It's a wonderful city. I posted a trip report, including some great restaurants. It has a very contemporary and trendy dining scene, much to our surprise.
>-

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:16 AM

Gosh, sort of a Road Not Taken question. They are indeed both wonderful cities. You know, it may depend on how old you are. Amsterdam struck me as more appealing to younger folks, which may be why I'd take Edinburgh.

Such an interesting mix of light and dark. Rounding a street corner and looking up to see the Castle was startling. Sitting in a little cafe there and enjoying the best lamb I've ever had (and, yes, tried haggis) and hearing the One O'Clock gun go off... Magical.

And the Royal Mile....oh, I'm jonesing!

This is really a win-win situation for you. Have a great time!!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM

Don;t let any language barrier in Amsterdam bother you.

First, the Dutch are all required to learn English in school from an early age - and British/American TV programs are shown in English - sometimes with Dutch subtitles.

Second, Dutch is the closest language to English - so a lot can be intuited - if by some chance you find someone who doesn;t speak English. And the only people we found that didn't were quite elderly people in a few very small towns.

As to which to choose - they both have a lot to offer - but in March I wold do Amsterdam based on weather - think it wuold be more springlike than Edinburgh.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 03:22 PM
kit

Amsterdam...hands down. Wonderful museums and a pleasure to walk around town along the canals.

I liked Edinburgh, too, but felt -- honestly -- that it was a two/three-day trip at best.
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only been to Amsterdam of the 3 you are considering so cannot make a comparison. But please don't let the language barrier stop you, it is not an issue (though in my experience not "everyone" spoke English, at many shops and such the clerks spoke Dutch). That saiad, Amsterdam is one of the easiest cities to navigate and feel at home of any I have visited to date.