Edinburgh or Dublin

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh or Dublin

I will be traveling to both Edinburgh and Dublin in the late May or early June for business. I will be arriving in Dublin on a Wednesday and leaving Edinburgh on the next Friday (8 days between). My meetings are on the day after arrival and the day before departure leaving me 6 days between to see the sights (one day in the middle for travel from Dublin to Edinburgh). My question is how should I split the six days. Split the time (how much for each) or spend all in one place. If all in one place, which one. I have not traveled to either location before. I know there must be many opinions on which city has the the most and I am willing to hear all suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Elizabeth
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM

A day is enough for Dublin, so spend the rest of your time in Edinburgh
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM

I don't know what "the most" is for you but I would split it evenly beween Dublin, Belfast, and Edinburgh. Skip Glasgow for sure.
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure why one would say "Skip Glasgow for sure". It is a very interesting city w/ LOTS to see and do.

But w/ your time limitations, I'd spend Wed, Thurs and Fri nights in Dublin. Mid day or late afternoon on Sat, I'd fly to Edinburgh and spend the rest of my time there.

I MUCH prefer Edinburgh, but the reasons I suggest staying 3 nights in Dublin are 1) you won't get to see much on Wed since you will be recovering from jetlag. 2) You have a meeting(s) on Thur so at best you'll have 1/2 a free day. So your 3 nights will really only give you about 3 half days for sightseeing.

Then w/ Sat thru Thurs nights in Edinburgh. You'd have time to really see/enjoy Edinburgh plus take one or two day trips to othere places (St Andrews, the Trossachs, Stirling, or wherever - maybe even Glasgow )
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:22 PM

>>

Frankly I'd skip Dublin rather than Glasgow

Glasgow has, among other things, The Burrell Collection, Kelvingrove Gallery & Museum and Charles Rennie Mackintosh - plus it's the home of Taggart
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Frankly I'd skip Dublin rather than Glasgow"

That's what I was thinking too. But, since the OP must stop over in Dublin, guess that isn't a practical option . . . .
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM

I LIKED Dublin, and I could spend a week there, but mooching around, getting the feel of the place, recognising its history and its literary heritage.

For sure, there's masses more to do and see in Edinburgh, but I'm biased
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:44 AM

I liked Dublin, and love Ireland, but I agree that Edinburgh has much more to see, and is a beautiful city. Glasgow is also filled with lots of stuff to do, but with such limited time frame, I would stay a couple days in Dublin and the rest in Edinburgh. Dublin has a couple great things to do, depending on your tastes - but Edinburgh has dozens
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM

Edinburgh definitely!
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:45 AM

I'd split your actual sightseeing time about equally; I think they have about the same amount for the typical tourist. If you decide after a day or two that you've seen all you want to see in each city itself, you could always do a day trip (to Wicklow/Glendalough from Dublin, for example, or Glasgow or Stirling from Edinburgh).
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I think both cities have a lot to se/do esp if you count a day trip into the countryside. I would split the tie equally. (I know a lot of people don;t see much in Dublin - but I've been there several times and always more to see and do. Certainly enough to occupy you for 3 days.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful input. I will probably spend two days in Dublin and four in Edinburgh area.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:37 PM

PLENTY to do in Dublin:

Tour options:

http://www.visitdublin.com/seeanddo/...in/dublin.aspx

http://www.railtoursireland.com/

http://www.dublintourist.com/tours/day_tours/

http://www.paddywagontours.com/viewtour.php?id=71

http://www.irelandexpert.com/dublin-...ountryside.htm

Bob