Dublin or Glasgow?

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dublin or Glasgow?

Hello everyone. I am taking a business trip in late June/early July that begins in Dublin and ends in Glasgow. I would like to tack on an extra day or two at the beginning or end. I have been all around the countrysides of Ireland and Scotland, but have never really been to either Dublin or Glasgow. I am trying to decide where to spend my extra time.

I am mainly interested in spending a day in the city that 1. is more visually pleasing, 2. is easier to get around in by foot 3. is more friendly to the single female traveler 4. is less overwhelming to do a lot in one day and 5. has better pubs!

Any advice you could give me would help.

Thanks,
Erin
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:18 AM
ron

I like both cities and, to me, it would be a toss-up. But Glasgow's tourist attractions are more spread out, requiring use of the good public transportation system while Dublin's would be largely walkable.

A third option is to consider that Edinburgh is but 45 minutes from Glasgow by train, and by your criteria, would be more attractive than either Dublin or Glasgow.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:21 AM
dcespedes

I agree with Ron, you would do well to make a stop in Edinburgh. Can't say enough good things about it--what a beautiful city, easy to get around on foot, excellent food, clean, friendly... My husband and I would go back in a second. Enjoy!

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:31 AM

A third vote for Edinburgh. But since you didn't list that as an option, I'd probably choose Dublin. Not that I particularly like Dublim more than Glasgow - but as ron says the sites of Glasgow are much more spread out.

(But I'd really recommend Edinburgh over either one)
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

I have actually been to Edinburgh already (during the Fringe--fantastic!!) and it will be a stop on my trip.

I am leaning towards arriving early in Dublin for an extra day or two instead of staying later in Glasgow.

Thanks for your help--any favorite things to do in Dublin?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 09:41 AM

I vote for Dublin, judging the two cities according to your criteria.
In a day you could go to the castle, see Trinity College, perhaps go to the Guinness brewery, and of course try some Irish pubs.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I prefer Edinburgh, Dublin and Glasgow, in that order. I didn't find Glasgow had enough of interest to keep me going, certainly was not visually pleasing enough compared to the other two. I think any of the three are fine for a single female traveler. I can't speak to the pubs in Glasgow, however!
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 11:33 AM
dcespedes

Favorite things to do / see in Dublin....where do I begin?!? St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin Castle, Guiness Brewery, a walk along the River Liffey, a walk through St. Stephen's Green, Trinity College where you'll find the Book of Kells, visit the Temple Bar area, the Natural History Museum aka the dead zoo...my list goes on but I'll stop there! Enjoy!!