Help me choose from these Paris Hotels

Old Nov 29th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose from these Paris Hotels

Hi:
We are making a last minute trip to Paris in December. This was an unexpected destination so I haven't had a lot of time for my research. We plan to stay in the city for a week and we are choosing from these places I have checked out on Tripadvisor:

Hotel de la Porte Doree, 273 Av. Daumesnil, nearewst metro stop: Doree, 60 Euros/nt, http://www.hotelportedoree.com/

Hotel du Printemps, 80 Blvd. de Picpus, nearest metro stop: Nation, 50 Euros/nt, http://www.hotel-paris-printemps.com/

Grand Hotel de L'Avenue, 14 Rue Rampon, nearest metro stop: Republique, 71 Euros/nt, http://www.avenue-paris-hotel.com/

Hotel de la Place des Alpes, 2 Place de Aples, nearest metro stop: Place d'Italie, 68 Euros/nt, http://www.hotelplacedesalpes.com/servicuk.htm

All seem conveniently located to a metro stop so if anyone has insight on the neighborhoods where they are or their accessibility of public transport, we'd appreciate it.

Open to any of your own recs, too--just note our budget is between 50 and 75 Euros / night. Saw that Hotel Bonaparte is regularly recommended but their rates are beyond our budget (I am inquiring about a possible discount for a week-long stay).
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 10:17 AM

The Hotel de la Porte Doree looks very pretty, although it is at the far eastern edge of town, be prepared for some long metro rides (however, at least going into town, you're likely to get a seat).
The Hotel du Printemps is closer in, which might a good idea in case your husband gets tired. Ditto for Grand Hotel de L'Avenue.

For your budget, you seem to have chosen some nice properties, will be curious to see what others say.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM

OMG, someone on Fodor's who has the same Paris budget as I do?!

I stay at the Hotel Stanislas, 2*, 6th, metros Notre-Dame-des-Champs (around the corner) and Saint-Placid. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from Gare Montparnasse and an easy walk to the 5th and 6th action. There are plenty of good restaurants with left bank prices, i.e. half of the right bank.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Passerine, thanks for the input!

Cool, will check that hotel out, Spaarne! LOL r/e budget--we usually go to cheaper countries where our dollar (we're American) really stretches so I knew planning this trip would be financially challenging!
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Does Hotel Stanislas have a website? Googling it I didn't see one.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
schlegal, I know nothing about the Grand Hotel de L'Avenue but like the area around Republique. Walked around at night by myself last trip and enjoyed the atmosphere--not as picture-postcard as elsewhere but a very lively vibe and close to tourist sites and good eating.

http://www.pbase.com/leelygoes/image/113306811
http://www.pbase.com/leelygoes/image/113311073
http://www.pbase.com/leelygoes/image/113311074

Hotel de la Place des Alpes is a good, convenient location too. I always end up heading to Place d'italie for one reason or another when I'm in Paris.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM

schlegal1,
I don't know if the Hotel Stanislas has a web site. It is a small place. Here is the yak on Trip Advisor. http://tinyurl.com/yb8kgz2. Judging by the conversations in the breakfast room all of the other guests were European, especially Dutch.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 12:02 PM

PS
I am a red, white, and blue American from Michigan.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM

I am currently in Paris and staying at the Hotel Marignan (http://www.hotel-marignan.com/). It has a fabulous location two blocks from the Cluny in the 5th.It's currently being renovated so the halls/stairs are a mess. There is no lift. About half the rooms have the toilet and or shower in the hall (but are shared with only one or two other rooms). If you don't mind those things it's a pretty good deal, especially at this time of year. Breakfast is very good (and included). It's in your price range and I think they give discounts for stays of a week or so.When I booked it they promised me a room 3rd floor or lower but when I got here the room was on the 6th floor. I said no, they made a couple of other offers to which I also said no and then they gave me a quad room with shower and sink (toilet outside the room but only a couple of feet away). So as long as they honor the price (which was to be for a single) then I can recommend the place.

I also often stay at the Hotel St Jacques (around the corner from here), and I stayed there last week and it's a much nicer hotel. I got a "promo" of 70 euro for a single but a double is definitely more. Breakfast not included there.

One other suggestion is the St Andres des Arts on the street of the same name in the 6th. I stayed there a few years ago and liked it well enough (they also have no lift but include breakfast).
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. Leely--great info and thanks for the pics.

isabel, part of the reason this is a last minute trip is because of a medical situation for my husband so I think we'd need to avoid any place with a lot of rennovation or without a lift. Thanks, though and I hope you are having a fabulous time!
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 04:46 AM

Sorry to hear about your husbands medical situation. But do be aware that if stairs are a problem then using the metro alot could also be an issue. Many of them do not have escalators or lifts and you will have to do at least some stairs. I say that cause most of the hotels you initially mentioned, while they are near metro stops, are a ways from the main things you probably will want to be doing. Paris is spread out and you will need either the metro or bus at least some of the time, but if you stay central (I like the 5th and 6th best) you can walk to a lot - Notre Dame, Ile st Louis, Louvre, Hotel de Ville, etc. So possibly a hotel more central would be a good idea. You could always call or email one of the hotels without a lift and see if they could guarantee you a room on a low floor.

Do consider buses versus metro to get around. Less (no) stairs plus you can see where you are going. They take the same tickets as the metro. When you first buy your tickets (usually a carnet of ten is best deal) ask for a map - it will have metro on one side and bus routes on the other. Good luck.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM

You might look at La Familia. Their rates are well within your price range and include breakfast. There are 3 bus routes directly across the street and 2 metros. The one metro has an escalator. It'd on rue des Ecoles and has lots of cafes and services nearby. Free wifi in the rooms if you are bringing a laptop
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 07:46 AM

La Familia (I think in the 5th) is in a good location, easy walking to lots of good sites. If you can get a room within your budget I'd go for it.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM

If you can go up to 85-86 euros, the Abbatial St Germain has a special for a minimum of three nights. It's a 3* on Blvd St Germain in the 5th, close to a metro and easy walk to Ile St Louis and Notre Dame. I stayed there a few years ago and was quite happy with the location and the hotel. It was quiet despited being on a busy street.

http://www.hotelabbatialsaintgermain.com
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 08:39 AM
tod

schlegal1 - For your budget don't hesitate, don't pass go, just GO straight to a really great hotel @ 48.30 euros a night for a double en-suite at the Ibis Hotel Esplanade La Defense! We swear by this fantastic deal in Paris!
This rate booked only on their website will get you a Friday-Saturday-Sunday night deal. Then, I see the other weekdays are now reduced to 67euros. Still very good.
Here is the link:http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/reservat...e_hotels.shtml
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm leaning toward Porte Doree or Printemps.

Darn, La Familia is $107 Euros a night for a double. That's too bad 'cause it sounded like a good rec.

Thanks for the tip about the metro. He can use stairs. We just want to avoid having to use stairs up to, say, a sixth floor room every time we go in or out. I think he'll manage the metro ok--if not, we'll use the buses as suggested.

CHris66 and Luisah - The places you rec are both in the 81-90 Euro/night range. I'm not inclined to spend quite that much for a hotel but will do so for this trip if the location is really superior to Hotel Porte Doree or Printemps.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Oops, so that should have been a question--is the location of Abbatial St Germain or Home Latin much better? In what way?

TOd- thanks for the rec but your post looks a bit like you work for Ibis (I'm not saying you do, that's just my first read on it)--can you tell me more specifics about your stay and this hotel's location?
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:33 AM

The Abbatial St Germain is a three minute walk to Notre Dame and Ile St Louis. One minute to the Seine. The flower market and Sainte Chapelle are a few more minutes from N.D.

check out the map for location.
http://www.hotelabbatialsaintgermain.com/situation.html

By foot:

Facing the hotel: Saint-Nicolas du Chardonnet church

1 minute: The banks of the Seine, the Palais de la Mutualité

3 minutes: Notre Dame de Paris Cathedral, Ile de la Cité, Ile Saint Louis, the Arabic World Institute (IMA)

5 minutes: Saint-Michel Boulevard, the Sorbonne, the Pantheon, the Lutèce Arenas, the Cluny Museum

8 minutes: The Jardin des Plantes Gardens, the Luxembourg Gardens

10 minutes: City Hall and the department stores.

15 minutes: The Bastille, the Place des Vosges, the Marais district, Saint-Germain des Prés church

By metro:

10 minutes: The Louvre Museum, the Orsay Museum, the Museum of Natural History, the François-Mitterrand National Library

15 minutes: The Eiffel Tower, Invalides, the Rodin Museum, the Place de la Concorde.

20 minutes: The Garnier Opera House, the Champs-Elysées, the Arc de Triomphe, le Grand Palais.

25 minutes: Sacred Heart

30 minutes: La Défense
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM

The location of the HOme Latin and the Abbatial St Germain are wonderful. The Home Latin is three doors down from where I am (the Marignan) and the other one is around the corner. The ST Jacques that I also mentioned is around the corner. If you can afford any of those then definitely go for it. As I said I stayed at the St Jacque for three nights last week, but since I had to change hotels anyway (I went to Nice in the middle of the week) I decided to give this one a try as it's about half the cost. According to the websites the Home Latin would be around 70 for a single, and the other one around 80, I am paying 47 including breakfast. It is clearly not as nice as the more expensive ones. But yes, this is the location you want to be in. I've stayed in many Ibis's around Europe and they are fine but no way would I stay in La Denfense if I were only here for a week or less and wanted to be in the center of things.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM

Try the Prince Eugene on Blvd Voltaire. Very close to Nations and right in budget. Have stayed twice and will again. Hotel has elevator and room a/c

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information