Easy Paris Questions

Mar 12th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Easy Paris Questions

We leave in a few weeks for paris and I was wondering if Master Card is used as widely there as Visa. Also, may we bring a bottle of wine to enjoy on the bateaux mouches (sp?)? Also, I've seen the Paris City Passport card advertized on parisinfo.com. Has anyone used this card and is it worth 5Eu?
Mar 12th, 2005, 02:13 PM

I've never had a problem using Mastercard in Paris, it is very widely used (the signs may say "eurocard" instead).

As for the wine, that's only about a one-hour boat trip up and down the Seine if it's the regular one, and I don't recall people drinking during that trip and bringing on bottles of wine. I don't really remember for sure, though, so I'll let others comment on that.

I haven't ever seen the City Passport card but looked at it. It looks like a new tourist promotion by the city and it does look like it could easily be worth the 5 euro from some of the discounts and free things on the pass. For example, it says one thing it includes is a free audioguide at the Musee Jacquemart Andre, and those usually cost about 5 euro in themself (if you intend to go there, of course). It also includes 15 pct off at Flo Brasseries, so that's worthwhile (I believe they have that promotion if you book online, but this way, you don't have to do that). It doesn't look like a "must have", but for five euro, it looks good.
Mar 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM

You might want to make sure this is still true, but the last time I was at the Musee Jacquemart Andre the audio guide was free - included with admission. Not that this make the City Passport worthless, but just information for your own planning purposes as you figure out if this pass is for you.
Mar 12th, 2005, 04:30 PM

We brought wine and sandwichs on board.
Mar 13th, 2005, 05:18 AM

We were on a Vedettes du Pont-Neuf boat last week and saw many people with their own wine.
Mar 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM

I think that's true that the admission includes the audioguide at Jacquemart Andre -- ha ha, kind of suspicious to give you things free that are already free. Now maybe audioguides aren't free for those with reduced admission like children, though, so maybe there would be some use to it. However, some of the other things are okay and I think it's worth 5 euro probably. I also noted it included some promotional stuff that you can easily get anyway, or elsewhere, also (like 10 pct discount at the big dept. stores).
Mar 13th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Karen,
Look at the following website to see if there's anything of interest to you on the Paris City Passport card:

http://www.parisinfo.com/rub6763.html

I thought it was well worth the 5 euros I paid for it, and I also ordered a Mobilis transportation pass to go with it, so paid 10 Euros for the two. We always arrive on a week-end, so it's handy to have one, from the start. As for the discounts, for starters, we always buy a France Telecom telecarte to keep in touch with the kids, and with the card, it's 15% off. If we decide to take the canal rides, it's 3 Euros off, and 35% off the Vedettes de Pont Neuf. It's 20% off the Tour Montparnasse. Anyway, those are just a few discounts that we thought we might use. There were quite a few more. I did notice that some of the things offered you could get anyway. However, some are easier when it's all on one card, such as the department store discounts. If you order it, be sure to have it sent to your hotel, as they don't send outside of France.

Sandy
Mar 13th, 2005, 01:21 PM

I just love it , it's so cute!
To drink wine on the Bateaux-Mouches is a supra touristic attitude(no offence) , it sounds like "An American in Paris"...do take it , don't forget the glasses , corkscrew , fresh baguette , saucisson , pâté de campagne or rillettes , and the plastic bag for garbage!
If it's nice out , you can have this little picnic (or aperitif)if you ride around 11:00am.
But try to find the "batobus" on google , it's another ride , less charming probably , but cheap , and going to the northern part of Paris by the canal st martin up to the Parc de la Villette, only it's made for transportation , so it doesn't pass all monuments.
Mar 13th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I did not take wine on board the boat, but my brother found little wine boxes (like the little juice boxes for kids) that he took on board to drink while taking the tour.
Mar 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM

Wine boxes?

What vintage?
Mar 13th, 2005, 07:39 PM

har har! I have no idea what vintage! At the time I actually didn't have an interest in the item, although in retrospect they would have been nifty to bring home to friends.

I think we bought them at a store like Ed, L'epicier. They came in packs of 3, just like juice boxes.