Search

Eastern Europe - Tips Thoughts & Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eastern Europe - Tips Thoughts & Suggestions

Hello Everyone!

First time poster here. I have really enjoyed reading all the travel advice on these boards and thought I would join up so I ask the experts some questions and maybe offer advice to others.

I am going to Europe from October 15-31. I am specifically going to Germany(Berlin), Czech Rep(Prague), Austria(Vienna), and Hungary(Budapest). This will be my first time in Europe and first off I would like some packing suggestions. I have looked up the temperatures but I would like to know if I need to take cold weather items like coat/gloves/scarves ETC....

Next, I have purchased a Timbuk2 bag in orange/pink: http://www.ebags.com/timbuk2/classic...?modelid=66287 Do you think this will be a good day bag in terms of comfort/safety?

I am thinking about taking 1 ATM card and 1 credit card. I will get about 300 EUROs out of the ATM at the airport when I land. I will have maybe $50 US dollars on me also.
I will get more $ out of ATMs as needed and only use the credit card for more expensive souvenirs. Do I need to take any more cards/US cash/travelers checks?

Basically I want any thought, suggestions, or tips for the areas I will be visiting.
Must sees, Bewares, anything!
Thanks in advance!
~*~ Morgan ~*~
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Well - first of all you're going to western (Germany and Austrai) and Central (Czech Republic and Hungary) europe. Eastern europe would be Russia or Ukraine.

(Any German you speak to would be extremely surprised to be thought an eastern european.)

That time of year is fall - not winter. so you will need a medium weight jacket and some sweaters - but not a winter coat or boots - unless you're from FL and think anything under 70 is winter.

You don;t say if you're going on a tour - but it sounds like it based on your finances. Otherwise you should be paying your hotel, major restaurant, train etc with credit card - and I would definitely carry at least 2. Also- it;s better to have 2 ATMs in case there's a problem with one.

We carry about US$200 cash - but haven;t used any of it in years.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clairfication (wish I could change the subject line).

Ok so, NO coat. What about just bringing a fleece?

By 2 ATM cards do you mean two for the same checking account or from different banks? I just called my bank and asked them to issue me an additional ATM card. I will carry one in my money belt & leave one in my luggage at the hotel. Is it safe to leave it in my luggage if it has a lock on it?
Thanks...
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:50 AM

A couple of things - I would be curious to know as to why you chose these particular venues. In addition, Berlin doesn't fit it all that well + I'm not a big fan anyway. What is your intent or interests ? There are many very cool places in & around the cities you have chosen. I would not restrict myself just to cities. You'll get a myriad of answers on here re: cash v. ATMs. I always take cash w/me (by cash I mean the local currency), one never knows when your ATM card may not function. I'd add some time on Cesky Krumlov (CZ). Also a day trip or over nighter to Bratislava. I'd rather hit Venice than Berlin. I would probably concentrate my time around Vienna & Prague actually.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Check out the recent trip report by AandEd re: Poland & the CZ.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget to notify the ATM & CC companies about your trip-perhaps set a daily spending limit you know you'll never break (even if you buy souvenirs) but which will limit loss if someone steals your card or its #.

Don't forget that these cities have stores; if it gets cold, buy Czech gloves, rather than pack for that possibility.

Don't forget that ATMs in Europe are communicating with your bank's computers; if it's 8:00 AM in Prague and the ATM doesn't work, it's probably because the computer back home is doing backup at 2:00 in the morning.

Try to learn a few language phrases; European store clerks tend to greet you (a la "guten tag&quot, unlike the folks at Sam's Club. They would appreciate even a mispronounced reciprocity rather than a grunt or silence.

Take a $100 cash..$50's a tad lite.

Enjoy!