Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

best hotel locations in Paris for "best in 5 days" itinerary

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Paris for the first time during the end of January 2007 for my honeymoon, and am interested in doing something similar to the "best in 5 days" itinerary on this site. I was wondering if I could get some feedback as to which general location in Paris would be best to stay in.

I have been using orbitz.com which has a listing of locations in Paris, and I am currently considering the following locations: Champs-Elysees, Latin Quarter, Louvres, Montmartre, and Opera.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Montmartre requires a bit more transportation back and forth, and nice lodging can be more 'iffy' there, unless you very carefully choose an apartment. It isn't close to much except its own attractions.

The Champs is a busy avenue with lots of businesses and chain stores, so not that appealing.

That leaves the Louvre area, the Opera area and the Latin Quarter area, all of which have their good points and many nice hotels.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:34 AM

And the latter 3 are more central with site/sights within walking distance. What is your budget?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM

If it were my first trip to Paris AND my honeymoon, I would stay somewhere in the 6th between the Seine and Blvd. St. Germain. Very fun area for your first trip (I'm assuming you're probably in your 20's/30's if on your honeymoon -- however, I could be wrong!!). It's a very lively area around Rue de Seine/Rue Jacob/etc., etc. and easy to get to pretty much anywhere. Lots of restaurants!

Enjoy!!!

joy/luvparee
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Hi

Paris is a big city and most likely you will have to get on the metro to get to various location. So I don't think that it matters that much where you stay as long as you are not located out of town and as long as you are near a metro station My wife and I went to Paris for a week and we stayed in the 15th district to save some money on the hotel. I have posted a trip report with some pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there. Get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we are in our 20's =) I've been looking at rooms in the price range of anywhere from $100 - $200 U.S. on orbitz, but really paying attention to the reviews and how many stars each hotel has been getting.

Do any of you think it would be better to call the hotel directly? I was thinking they may not speak english though.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:15 PM

I agree with luvparee's recommendation of staying in the 6th district. You may also wish to consider staying in either the 4th or 5th districts as well.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM

alyap35: I think the first thing you should do is give up on Orbitz. Paris' fun hotels, in the best locations, are too often not the kind of larger hotels that Orbitz offers.

I agree with joy/luvparee that the best area is in the 6th arrondisement, closer to the Seine if possible. There are portions of the 7th and 5th that I also like, but they are the portions closest to the 6th.

The first thing you should do is get a guidebook like Fodors or Frommers that maps hotels in Arrondisements.

The next thing you should do is a search here for Fodorites favorite hotels in Paris.

In May, we are staying at the Jardin de l'Odeon. By playing with their website, you can come up with some incredible rates. I am not recommending this hotel, because we haven't stayed there yet. I'm telling you this because I think it is best to research for yourself and email hotels directly.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM

next trip i would stay in the 6th. just really enjoy the area the most.

but in reality...you guys are in your 20s you could just use priceline and get a good deal somewhere nice.

metro makes everything close...and in Jan it will be chillier.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:21 AM

In January the days are going to be fairly short too... so I recommend staying in the 5th or 6th; I personally enjoyed the 1st for my walkabouts. I liked the energy and the youthfulness in the 10th & 11th.
You're budget is fine - I'd use Venere to "see" hotels and THEN you can decide.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Hi alyap,

Also ditto to those recommending 5/6th.
I would also give a look to the Ile St Louis area, which is in the 4th. This is the island connected to the island on which Notre Dame is located. It is a nice area, one main street with shops and some good restaurants, not overly busy, a good central location, nice views over Seine,etc... From here you can easily access 5th and 6th districts, as well as Marais and main 1st district sites. The RER to/from the airport is also a reasonable walking distance from the island. Metro is nearby also.

I've stayed at Deux Iles, here is a web site to it and its sister hotel Lutece. Smaller hotels, located in updated mansions on main street.

http://www.paris-hotel-lutece.com/

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:45 AM

the most convenient location to get around an itiniary would be one right on an intersection of multiple metro lines(gare du nord/chatalet/republique).but choosing this way might sacrifice a scenic hotel room view if this is important to you.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Try using www.venere.com instead of orbitz. I find it very user friendly with maps of the arr. and locations marked for each hotel, star ratings, and most importatnly a large number of user reviews.

I am staying in the 7th on the very edge of the 6th next summer in a cute little apartment on rue de Grenelle that I'm renting from someone I've leased from before. Its close to the D'Orsay and St. Sulpice and plenty of cafes and boutiques and not too far from the Louvre or Luxembourg Gardens.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed in a small hotel in the 1st when I was there for 4 days earlier this year. It was the ideal location, less than 5 min walk to Louvre entrance, the Tuileries metro stop was right there, so up the Champs Elyssess or back to Ile St. Louis in a flash. Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend my particular hotel, but that neighborhood was quiet and safe.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 08:20 AM

In May I stayed at the Best Western Jardin de Cluny, a block from St. Germain, 2 blocks from Notre Dame, 2 Metro stops nearby. Wonderful area.

Don't know whether you want a fancy hotel for your honeymoon...This one isn't fancy. It's simple, basic but very comfortable. The English-speaking staff is incredible. Great breakfast.
I'd definitely stay there again. I booked on bookings.com.

Have a great time!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM

As an after-thought to my prior post........

My first trip to Paris I stayed at Le Marronier (spelling??) on Rue Jacob (6th). My second trip I stayed in the Muguet (7th) (went to Lyon & Provence for several days) and then stayed at the Familia on rue des Ecoles (5th) upon return to Paris. This summer I stayed in an apartment on Rue St. Dominique (7th) with the Eiffel Tower almost right outside our dining room window. I must say that even though I loved each place, my heart belongs in the 6th. The Familia was a very nice family hotel, but even walking at night with my sister and brother in law, it felt just a little scary after dark after leaving all the lights and crowds of the 6th. That said, let me say that I have spent very little time in the Marais area simply because of lack of time. I'lle St. Louis and I'lle de la Cite are totally in the middle of Paris and would be very easy to get around from there.

Hope you find your perfect spot!

joy/luvparee
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 01:53 PM

hey, David, guess what -- advertising isn't allowed on Fodors. Now I don't suppose your comments about the wonders of travel agents has anything to do with you being one, does it?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the responses! great advice! i'm seriously considering staying in the 6th. I still need to check out Venere.. thanks again!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 04:15 PM

Once you've come up with a list of a couple of potential hotels, check out Trip Advisor for the ratings and comments of fellow travellers - in addition to comments about a hotel, often comments include whether they feel the location was appropriate for their needs, etc.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g...Vacations.html

Enjoy your stay, and Congratulations!!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 05:55 PM

I highly recommnd le Madison hotel in the 6th ( on Blvd. St. Germain).
Best wishes, Fluffy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -