Easter weekend travel

Search

Easter weekend travel

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2019, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter weekend travel

We are arriving in Lisbon on Good Friday. Thinking of going somewhere in the south of France then going on to Paris. We have up to two weeks for this part of the trip. Where would be the best place to spend Easter weekend? I am wondering about museum and restaurant closures, etc.

I was in France in the early 90s, but I'm sure everything is different. We would like to stick to train travel in France, I think. Smaller towns with history, water (rivers or lakes), people who will tolerate my rusty French...
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 07:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
First of all, it is important to know that Good Friday is not a holiday in France. It is a normal working day with everything open. The same goes for Easter Saturday. There is nothing special about Easter Sunday since it is the same as any other Sunday -- things that are closed on Sundays will be closed and things that are normally open will be open as usual. Museums are open in France on Sundays. The only difference with certain other countries is that Easter Monday is a bank holiday, but this won't affect tourists much -- banks, schools, government offices, etc. will be closed -- just about anything that is normally open on Monday will be open (note: lots of small shops and markets take EVERY Monday off).

However, I don't quite understand your question. If you are arriving in Lisbon on Good Friday, aren't you spending a bit of time there? Won't Easter be finished by the time you arrive in France?
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 09:05 AM

We encountered holiday ferry schedule on Easter Monday in Italy. Do watch in France as well per kerouac's Monday closing info.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

kerouac: We were in Lisbon last year and saw what I wanted to see. I know lots of people love it, but I'm on a mission to check off several bucket list items. We arrive on a cruise ship. No jet lag so flying out somewhere is pretty easy...

Thanks for the information about the holidays. In the Caribbean, there was basically no work from Holy Thursday through Easter Monday.

Last edited by eastenderusvi; Dec 27th, 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Any recommendations for places to stay in the south of France, Provence, etc. on the train line toward Paris? As I said, smaller towns with water, strolling possibilities, and history...
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 06:31 PM

Which train line? It's not as though there is one train line from the south of France to Paris, although there are some obvious ones from X to Y. And there are thousands of places to stay in the "south of France," which is enormous. Sounds like you need to do some research.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, merci, StCirq. That is what I am trying to do here. Research. LOL
Originally, I was thinking of the TGV line, which will probably be how we get to Paris, but it is difficult looking at the maps to tell which cities on the line would fit. By "south of France", I meant towns between , oh say, Nice, and Paris. I was just thinking someone might have a suggestion of a town or two that fits my template: smaller, water (lake or river), stroll-able, history.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 07:58 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by eastenderusvi
By "south of France", I meant towns between , oh say, Nice, and Paris. I was just thinking someone might have a suggestion of a town or two that fits my template: smaller, water (lake or river), stroll-able, history.
We loved Avignon. We stayed inside the walled city. It was lovely.
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 08:27 AM

Avignon is not only overwrought, it doesn't fit the OP's description, which is, thank goodness, something a bit out of the ordinary.

OP, take the train to Toulouse (TGV to Bordeaux and then onwards, or train to Brive-la-Gaillarde and then onwards). Spend at least a couple of nights in Toulouse - OMG what a wonderful city! Then continue down to the coast and along it, east or west. The train that runs that route is absolutely delightful. Places to investigate include Narbonne, Collioure, Montpellier, and some on the Atlantic coast north of the Spanish Border, like Bayonne and Biscarosse....

That's just a smattering. Between Paris and Nice covers a WHOLE lot of territory. Have you heard of the Lac St-Férriol? That's between Paris and Nice and one of the prettiest places in France IMO, but no one has ever even heard of it. The Etang de Tamniès? Same.

The entirety of the Dordogne fits your description. Rivers, lakes, gorges, prehistory, museums, incredible food....And it's between Nice and Paris. But so are thousands of places and entire areas of France. The Avéyron would work as well, and areas along the atlantic coast.

OP, you still need to pin down train routes. It is not as though there is one route from Paris south. You have many options. Check them out.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Merci, StCirq. Those are the sorts of pointers I need. The towns on the canals like Narbonne and Carcassone sound interesting. I haven't gotten any further. I am looking at the Man in Seat 61 for train hints.

I do know that there are thousands of places at which to look. I appreciate your assistance...
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
StCirq gives good advice and it is her area of expertise.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 05:37 PM

Is there a TGV to Montpellier now? DH and I based there.

​​​​​
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 04:32 AM

Yes, there are direct TGVs from Paris Gare de Lyon to Montpellier St-Roch. Takes about 3.5 hours.
Old Dec 31st, 2019, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
How are you planning to get from Lisbon to France? It'll take about 20 hours on the train from Lisbon to Toulouse, but there are two airlines flying that route non-stop - Ryanair in the morning, and TAP [ Air Portugal]. in the afternoon. For safety I might book one night in Lisbon and then get the earlier and cheaper Ryanair flight the next morning.
Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, annhig! We are going to fly to our next destination. Trying to figure out a plan now. From the rail maps, it looks like either Toulouse for the path StCirq suggested or either the Marseilles/Nice area. Then train toward Paris...

P.S. We also have Cornwall on that bucket list.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 12:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can certainly second Toulouse.

And don't leave Cornwall too long.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 08:53 PM

The woman who runs this travel podcast lives in Toulouse. Here is one of the several episodes she has done on it:

https://joinusinfrance.com/episode/t...e-episode-183/
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Podcasts are right up my alley. They have several very helpful ones. Thank you, Irice.

You all have convinced me to start in Toulouse. Trying to pick between Beziers and Narbonne for a second stop. And somewhere in the Burgundy area for a third...
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 10:01 AM

Narbonne.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by eastenderusvi
Podcasts are right up my alley. They have several very helpful ones. Thank you, Irice.

You all have convinced me to start in Toulouse. Trying to pick between Beziers and Narbonne for a second stop. And somewhere in the Burgundy area for a third...
dijon in burgundy. Small city big town. Very nice.