Apartment in Rome

Search

Apartment in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2020, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment in Rome

Hi all, I'm looking at apartments in Rome for late April for 12 days, and I've got four candidates I would love feedback on. Three are in Trastevere and one is near Campo de'Fiori. I picked Trastevere because it's Trastevere and Campo de'Fiori because it's so central and walkable to pretty much everywhere. This would be for me and a friend, assuming the friend gets herself together pretty quickly and starts doing some things to get ready for this trip, so I'm looking for two bedrooms, two baths. Any comments are highly welcome, along with other suggestions for areas or other apartments to consider. The maximum budget is around 250 euro per night, but I think I can find somewhere nice for significantly less than that - as these four all are.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3642344...R6msJ%2FfvUTWT

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2443729...P2aJB5u%2ByJD0

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/plus/24...suLfowitFMlg6M

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3044025...z2XENlxbdUjPzI

Last edited by artsnletters; Jan 4th, 2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 04:51 PM

They all look nice. I will be in Rome during the same time and found a nice apt on booking.com. Killer location just on the Tiber side of Largo Argentina. We might have to do a mini GTG! Trastevere is on my must do short !ist since I havent made it there on other trips.
Old Jan 4th, 2020, 06:33 PM

Last summer we stayed at this AirBnB place and absolutely loved it. Out of the tourist fray but literally across the street from the Cipro metro station, on the backside of the Vatican. Owned by an intentional flight attendant who lives a few blocks away with her family and is a delightful host. The place has absolutely everything one could want. The way it is laid out bedrooms are on opposite sides of the place so each has privacy.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Dayle, I will be in Rome from April 16 until April 29, although when I see three sunny days in a row, I'm going to Naples to spend some serious time at Pompeii. It would be fun to get together. I suspect I'm going to be traveling solo (I think my friend isn't going to get it together), so it would be nice to get together for dinner if you're free - along with any other Fodorites who are knocking around Rome at that time.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 08:40 PM

Artsnletters, that would be so fun! I will be there from April 24 to May 2. I will also be solo so meeting for dinner would be great. Should we try for a real Fodorites GTG? I wont have any concrete night time plans except for the day I attempt to visit the Ninfa Gardens south of Rome. That will be a long day.

Pompeii is incredible. I have visited twice. The Archeological Museum in Naples where all the artifacts are is the other half of a visit to Pompeii. Will you have time to get there?

​​​
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

I'm absolutely game to try to put together a GTG. The only caveat is, somewhere in there I'm going to be in Naples for three days, and if the only stretch of three sunny days falls during the GTG, I won't make it, which would suck. Hopefully that won't happen. Not on a Friday; I want to visit the Vatican Museum on a Friday night in the hopes of lighter crowds. So maybe the 25th through the 28th are the optimum dates. If a GTG doesn't work, I would still love to have dinner together. The only thing I don't like about traveling alone is not having someone to talk with over dinner!

This will be my fourth time to Rome and Pompeii, but my three previous visits were all short stays with different companions for whom it was a first visit, so I have seen the same three days worth of sights three times. This time I am going for some depth! I have just not had enough time at Pompeii - I want to spend a day or a day and a half. I think the Museo Archeologico is one of the best museums in Europe that people haven't heard of and not to be missed. I love the mosaics and the sculpture especially! I will definitely be making a return visit. I'm also going to go to Herculaneum this time, which I have not been to before.

Incidentally, if you have not discovered it, on Youtube there is a Yale Courses series that is a course on Roman Architecture that is absolutely excellent! She spends three classes on Pompeii, discussing the design of the buildings, the layout of the town, and the wall paintings. That's what got me hungry to spend a lot of time at Pompeii, now that I will know what I'm seeing! If you have not seen it, I highly recommend it.
Old Jan 5th, 2020, 09:31 PM

I have been considering going for a visit to Herculaneum during my Rome time, just as a day trip. I thought 8 or 9 days would be enough to see some of the additional places I had missed before, but how silly, of course not! Im still working out my plans for Rome because so.e of the palazzo museums are only open on very limited days.

Lets post a potential Rome GtG and see who will be there. You never know. I am not expecting the weather to be all that bad, but I am planning to be somewhat prepared. I hope you get the sunny days for Pompeii! I will check out that Youtube. Grazie!
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 11:58 AM

Well! I will be in Italy at that time, but we're going to Bologna and Milano. I would have been game for this.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 04:11 PM

Hi tuscan,
I will be starting in Padova and Bologna , then a short lovely revisit to Orvieto before heading to Rome. Im going to post Rome for a potential GTG, but depending on your dates maybe we can finally meet in Bologna!
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 05:13 PM

Don't forget about Ostia Antica - different than Pompeii but equally intriguing, and easy to reach from the city. We had a guide for just the three of us and loved it.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Ostia is on the agenda.

I will be in Bologna May 12-22, if anyone else will be there then.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 04:51 AM

The third apartment on that list is not in the "charming" part of Trastevere, and is not within walking distance of the parts of the historic center most visited by tourists. The other three have more convenient locations, although I can't easily determined the exact location of any of them. All in all, I like best the location of the apartment near the Campo de'Fiori. It appears to be on or near a street that I like a lot, the Via del Pellegrino.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the input, bvlenci. I have never been in Trastevere and assumed there were more pleasing areas, but didn't know where they were.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dayle
Hi tuscan,
I will be starting in Padova and Bologna , then a short lovely revisit to Orvieto before heading to Rome. Im going to post Rome for a potential GTG, but depending on your dates maybe we can finally meet in Bologna!
Dayle our dates in Bologna are from the evening of April 21, full days on April 22, 23 and 24. Let me know. You can private message me on here, I think.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 02:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the "Yellow House" (2nd link) but I've never been to Rome, that's just the one that makes me most want to go!
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 01:44 AM

If you look for Trastevere on Google Maps, you will see a big botanical garden. To the right, you usually see the Villa Farnesina (which is really one of my favorite visits in Rome). In a wide strip from there to the Viale di Trastevere is the most picturesque part of Trastevere, but the other side of the avenue also has some nice streets.

You can also tell by the heavy concentration of restaurants which are the most visited parts of Trastevere. If you're not looking for charm, the rest of Trastevere is fine, but some parts don't have very convenient transportation into the center. There is a tram along the Viale, but if you're out of walking distance of the tram, there are only buses, which can get bogged down in traffic.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 05:15 AM

I love the Yellow House AND the location! We have been to Rome several times and I think this is a great location - central, but not in the fray. We've stayed twice in the Campo dei Fiori area and love staying in the vicinity. This apartment is a short distance away and wonderfully located to many of the sites you'd want to visit. I'd grab this one in a heartbeat.

I really like Trastevere to visit, but personally, wouldn't want to stay there for any length of time. I don't find it all that convenient, but it is a fun place to explore and visit.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 06:22 AM

I would also vote for the Yellow House option. We stayed at an apartment in the Jewish ghetto which is not far away and found it was very convenient for walking to many sites and for catching buses to other areas. You would be very near the "charming" parts of Trastevere.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for all your input! I have taken the Yellow House.
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 11:07 AM

Congratulations, artsnletters! I envy your going to Rome for such a good amount of time! We were there just a few months ago for 6 nights, and, 2 years ago, we were there for 8 nights. I love Rome! So much to see and do!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -