Driving to Venice

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:07 AM
Caroline

Driving to Venice

We are concerned about the cost and security of parking our rental car in one of the large lots in Venice. Would it be better to stay in a nearby town and take the train?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:16 AM
Rex

Either way, wouldn't it be better to just turn in the car and re-rent when ready to leave Venice?

If you are staying less than 48 hours, I think you will be fine parking at Tronchetto.

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:15 PM

to the top

Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:57 PM
Bob

We rented a van for a 2 week trip that included Venice so we had to park while there. Left the car at the Tronchetta for the 2 nights and had no problems.

Just remove everything, maps and all, from the inside of the car. Take what you need to hotel and place rest in trunk out of sight. That way anyone seeing your car will think it is empty and no use.

Buy all the insurance for the rental in Italy also. I do not do this for Germany trips, but I do for Italy. It the car gets stolen, you are in for a hassle but not an expense.

Apr 24th, 2002, 07:02 AM
Lena

The last couple of times we went to Venice we also drove, so we decided instead of staying in Venice to stay in Lido. You can take your car with you to Lido on a ferry boat and park it right by the hotel for free. We found it a pretty safe area to leave the car. Also the 10 minute boat trip to Venice is a great experience.