Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving to Venice - where can we pack our rental car while we spend a few days in Venice???

Driving to Venice - where can we pack our rental car while we spend a few days in Venice???

May 12th, 2002, 02:15 PM
margaret

Hi Fodorites!

Many of you have given me incredibly valuable information for my upcoming trip to Italy. I have another question for all of you- my husband & I are driving to Venice from Florence. We are going to drive back to Rome after we leave Venice, so we need to leave our car somewhere while we visit Venice. Where is a safe, convenient, fairly inexpensive place to leave the car for 3 days? How do we get from where we park the car to Venice? I went to Venice many years ago and never drove, so I need someone's expert advice. Thanks!!!

May 12th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Liz Z.

I believe there's a carpark at the Piazzale Roma, from which you take a vaporetto (line 1?) right into wherever you're staying in Venice. Mestre, which is right nearby as well, may have cheaper car parks still. Ask your rental car agent, they should be able to tell you.

May 12th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Christina

When we went in 1998 we parked our car in nearby Mestre and then took the train to Venice. It worked great. We parked in an open air lot across from the train station and it was 1/5 the price of parking in Tronchetto, which is the standard place where most people park. We did this based on a recommendation in an Italy guidebook.

May 12th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Chet

Hi Margaret:

We have been to Venice several times by car, and have always parked in the parking structure at the Isle Tronchetto. Inside parking; ran $15 per day last October. You can leave unnecessary luggage locked in your trunk (hidden) and take only what you will need for the three days in Venice. This is a lot more convenient than parking in Mestre and taking a train into Venice. The car park in Piazzale Roma is much more expensive. Also, some hotels will give you discount coupons that save you a few euros; ask when you pay your bill. If your hotel destination is near Piazza San Marco, take the vaporetto that goes to San Marco/San Zaccaria (I believe its line 82). Otherwise use line 1 down the Grand Canal.
Venice is a wonderful place to visit. Have a good time.
Ciao, Chet

May 12th, 2002, 06:54 PM
StCirq

Are you going to pay for a rental car for the three days it's parked? Plus the parking fee? Why not arrange with your car rental agency to leave the car somewhere like Maestre or Noale, and then pick up a second one three days later? Use the extra money to enjoy Venice!