Going to Paris

Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Don

Going to Paris

Next month my wife and I will celebrate 25 wonderful years of marrage (to each other). She wants to go to Paris. I have the plane tickets, and hotel. Any suggestions on making this a wonderfully romantic trip for us? Places to go for dinner, sights to see. Any help would be greatly appreciated. She is teaching me some French so I won't sound too stupid. This will be our first trip to Paris.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Howard

Yours is too general and too vague. For example:
1. How long is the trip?
2. What are your interests?
3. what is your budget (in general terms)?
Further, there are a lot of books on Paris out there to help you plan. Start by going to your local library and/or book store and checking out what's available.
And finally, I can't believe that you wouldn't have any idea of what to see in Paris!

Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
Rex

Congratulations, Don and wife. My wife and I are just slightly ahead of you - - Jan 3, 1976.

You need books, Several of them. Big, picture-filled books and let your heart decide where you will go, and what you will see. We can only put 500 words into an answer here, and you need many thousand.

I urge you to get out of PAris at least 24-48 hours, as there is so much more to France than Paris (think of it like coming to America and only seeking Washington or New York).

I strongly urge one, two or thre of the following as an adjunct to your Paris trip: Chartres, Versailles or Giverny.

And any of those can work with a splurge getaway (dinner or overnighter) at Chateau d'Esclimont in St. Symphorien, about 45 minutes southeast of Paris. To die for.

You'll egt lots of nswers here, but come back often - - daily if you wish, since you don't have a lot of time as your questions hone in and your plans evolve.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Westerville, Ohio

Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Rex

Forgive Howard. He usually gives good answers. Must be having a bad day. There are a lot of us "regulars" here and we have all been known to give a "cold and prickly" answer every once in a while.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:47 PM
Alice

1. Eiffel Tower at sunsight or at night (do the strobes still make it "sparkle" at the hour?)
2. Enjoy the parks, especially Jardin du Luxembourg. Just get two chairs, sit and hold hands, look at the beautiful flowers
3. Enjoy a couple of small museums, less overwhelming. See for instance the Musee Rodin or the Musee Cluny (each very different from the other).
4. Find an evening concert at one of the churches, especially Saint-Chapelle. You can buy the tickets at the Virgin Megastore on Champs Elysee, in the basement. If you like the music, buy a CD if one is offered so you can play it at home and remember.
5. Take a disposable camera wherever you go and ask people to take your photo together.
6. It is very easy to go to Versailles - take the RER -C to the station called Versailles Rive Gauche, turn right as you depart the station, go one block to the boulevard, and look to the left - you can't miss the palace. The inside may be very crowded, but it is beautiful if you can get through it. But even if you pass on the interior, the gardens are lovely, and you can take the tram to the back of the property and go into the Trianons and Marie's 'hamlet'. The beautiful fountains operate only on Sunday, I believe.
7. You will see "buskers" at all the major tourist sights... they are at the least amusing, and some can be very talented and downright hilarious... throw a tip their way, and you will always say later "remember that guy on the miniature bike by Notre Dame..?..."
8. Stop very often at sidewalk cafes and have a coffee, a beer or a glass of wine...watch the people go by (so sad, they must be going to work, going home to cook and clean, oh it's so sad, while here we are, just relaxing in, yes, in Paris...
9. Keep your eyes open for an interesting shop or market, perhaps you will see a little something to take home that will always remind you of the time you went to Paris... (of course the best souvenir is ... see # 5)
10. Although you are on vacation, and Paris is so beautiful and special, take care to be safe and keep your valuables under wraps (ie. money belt). You will have less to keep up with if you only carry the day's essentials. Be alert in the Metro, as there are those who would like to take advantage of your good nature. This is not meant to worry or alarm you, just to remind you to use common sense as you would when wandering in any big city. My husband and I have not yet experienced unpleasantness after 6 visits to Paris, but there are many others who cannot say the same.
Have a wonderful anniversary - it cannot be anything other, as you will be spending it in Paris!

Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:03 PM
Ruth

My husband and I are also celebrating our 25th anniversay next month in France and Italy. I have gotten a wealth of information from this website and we have spent countless hours at the library, in the book stores and at home reviewing books and magazines. We have also checked out videos of the areas we are thinking of going, Rick Steves and others from the library. I would say that we are having a very good time planning this trip. When we have questions, the first thing I do is inquire on this website, searching for previous postings about hotels or restaurants. Hope you have a good time.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:20 PM
c

For the past 7 years, my husband and I have celebrated our anniversary in Paris..maybe this will become a tradition for you too!
Here are some of my favorites, we do them every trip:
Take a bateau mouche just as the sun is going down and the lights are going on.
See Notre Dame,walk across the little foot bridge to the Ille St Louis, have a Berthillon ice cream,keep walking,cross over the Pont Neuf, stop in the middle, kiss,keep walking.
On the Left Bank, stroll past the bouqinistes,maybe buy a poster,stop at a cafe,have a wine/coffee,watch the people,catch your breath,rest your feet.
Go to the St Chappelle and if possible hear a concert there.
Museums:
Louvre,D'Orsay,one is closed when the other is open and vice versa,
Piccaso,Rodin,the Invalids and Napoleans Tomb,
Eiffel Tower, Sacre Coure,take the Metro.
Eat at one 2 star (at least) restaurant.
Go to the Marais on Sunday morning, wander the streets, have brunch/lunch at the Cafe Beauborg and sit on a park bench in the Place des Vosges.
Have chocolate at Angelinas or Laduree or both!
I guess that is enough for now,
Enjoy,walk,kiss,enjoy~

Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:28 PM
Lisa

Congratulations! All of these suggestions are good ones. My husband and I just returned from our first trip to Paris a couple of weeks ago. The whole city will put you in the right mood.
My special recommendation? Although we normally avoid "touristy" things, there's just something about a boat ride on the Seine at night.
Also, at the pier below Pont Neuf, you can sit smack in the middle of the river with a tiny, pretty little park at you back and watch the sun set over the river, turning the water pink and blue and making the next bridge down a work of art in silhouette. You'll never wonder again why the French perfected Impressionism.
I'm not even much of a romantic, but these did it for me.

Lisa

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:37 AM
toppers

no matter how many threads about Paris, they're always wonderful to top. and this is better than most recently.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:34 AM
ebacellar

Don, just sit down on the banks of River Sena with a bottle of wine, some cheese and a baguet.
I'll be there May 23 to 29 and will do that for a few hours.
Enio Bacellar, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:50 AM
Howard

Pardon me, Rex, but I thought I gave a good answer. If it sounded sarcastic, it wasn't meant that way. Do everyone a favor, Rex: Stick to giving travel advice. That alone gets you in enough hot water on this board!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:58 AM
Bob C

Watch the sunset from the Pont-des-Arts bridge. As the sun goes down the lights of Paris come on, behind you are the spires of Notre-Dame; ahead is the river, with its bridges stretching toward the setting sun. It just might be the most romantic sight in Paris.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:12 AM
Rex

<<And finally, I can't believe that you wouldn't have any idea of what to see in Paris!>>

It sounded a little bit harsh to me, Howard. Not sarcastic.

But it's all a function of whatever mood hits any of us on any given day.

And I grant you permission to tell me what to do. (wink...)

Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:59 PM
Violet

Take a side trip to Vaux le Vicomte on a Saturday evening!!!!! The chateau and gardens are candle lit.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:50 PM
up

wow. nice friendly follow up Howard.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:56 PM
Topper

Topping.

And, Howard, way to make the newcomer feel welcome!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:15 PM
Ed

Amen.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:30 PM
Paula

My husband and I just celebrated our 20th anniversery in France and Spain...sounds like you've already been given some terrific tips...I'll just add a very romantic restaurant we went to that has great food and incredible stained glass decor--Le Grand Cafe at 4 boulevard des Capucines--33-01-43-12-19-00, (www.legrandcafe.com)--near the Opera Garnier. Congradulations and enjoy,
Paula

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:40 PM
Howard

Don, if you answered the three questions I posed earlier, you would probably get even better answers!
(Please, I hope no one finds fault with that comment!)

Apr 23rd, 2002, 03:45 PM
StopActingLikeStupid

Jeeez, howard and rex and whomever!!!
stop hijacking this nice thread with your petty little squabble!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO