Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

driving to prague--through cesky krumlov??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving to Prague from Munich. We are leaving early--6:00am and would like to make a stop at Cesky Krumlov. Does anyone have suggestions for a good travel route. Also, we are driving into Old Town to the Maximillian Hotel (hopefully there is parking) What is the best way to get into the city? I've been to Prague once before and I know that asking directions in English doesn't yield good results.
Is there another city that we might enjoy more than Cesky on the way to Prague? We'd like to get to Prague no later than 5:00 pm, if not earlier.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:08 PM

Don't miss Cesky Krumlov. It is completely charming and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:09 PM

I haven't driven in that area, so can't advise you on the best route, but that is a very tight schedule. I sure wouldn't try it. I think the distance between Munich and Cesky Krumlov is about the same as between that and Prague -- which is about 3-4 hours. I suppose that does give you a couple hours there if all goes well and you don't lose any time figuring out routes.

I have stayed at Maximilian and there is not much parking around there at all. It's in a pedestrian area of Old Town. I know taxis are allowed to drive to the hotel, and there are a few cars parked around the square it is on (people that run car services for the hotel or work around there), but there is really not much available. I know the hotel advertises it has access to some garage parking spots, so you had better make arrangements with them on that.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
rex

See www.viamichelin.com - - Plzen is on the way, and the driving will be reduced by 2, if not 3 hours.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:01 PM

If you're in a rental car, make sure they allow travel into Prague as many of them do not.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:31 PM

The Czech Republic has thousands of castles and castle ruins.

On the way from Munich to Prague is Karlstejn, probably THE most important castle outside of Prague.

Between Prague and Cesky Krumlov are dozens of castles. We visited Zhikov and Hluboka, very different, but both interesting in their own way.

Cesky Krumlov is not a drive through, you should plan on spending at least one night there. It is utterly charming.

Good luck on your selection of castles in the Czech Republic!