Driving in the Czech Republic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any restrictions to taking a rental car from Germany into the Czech Republic? If not, how about parking conditions at an inner-city hotel during a 2-3 day stay there? Thanks.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Check with the car company you will be using. Some do not allow their cars into CZ. Do a search, I remember a couple of threads the last year or so on the subject.

Roads are fine around CZ, we had no problems.

Parking especially in Prague is very very tight. We luckily had a hotel that let us park right in front each night for no charge and was right beside the Charles Bridge. They reserverd these spots for guests.

http://www.rezidence.lundborg.se/
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you steve...
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:23 PM

Over the last two years I've rented from Budget, Avis, and National and they all made me sign that I would not drive into certain countries - that was always one of them.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:39 PM
rex

Rented in Vienna this past May, drove into the CR (Prague, and later into Cesky Krumlov), then into PL, returning to Graz (Austria). Encountered no problems unique to either country, though we did have the "prior arrangements" made to be able to enter these two countries. We were given to believe that these prior arrangements are for some reason, less burdensome in the past year than they have been in the recent past.

Entering into CR, we were somewhat surprised to see what appeared to be rather "dolled-up" young women (Russian? - - didn't stop to try talking to them, of course), just standing/strolling by the side of this rather country highway. But never again on any subsequent stretch of road.

Parking in Prague? At $30/day, we might have a handful of choices. At $10/day, we were glad that our landlord (Apartments Zatec, through www.athos.cz) had a deal with a private garage - - and she led us through at least five miles of winding non-descript little streets to reach him.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rex, but good you clarify the "prior arrangements"?

celticdreams...I assume you signed, not intending to enter CZ anyway. What if that was your intent?
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

oops, substitute 'could' for 'good' please.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 01:50 PM

This is a question that I must reply to because my husband and I had VERY bad feelings about CZ by the time we left there. We rented from Auto Europe and picked up our car in Vienna. We had told them which countries we would be driving through and were given no advice or warnings about driving in any of the countries we had listed. We were flagged down on a country road in CZ by two policemen. We were traveling the speed limit, which was quite fast, so to pull over was tricky. One of them came to the driverside window and said something in Chech. We had no idea why we had been stopped and he kept saying, "problem", "problem". he showed us a brochure which we couldn't read but it appeared that we were missing a permit to drive there...He started at the equivalent of $200 ("with receipt&quot and worked his way down to $20 (without receipt&quot which we finally gave him. When we arrived at our hotel, we explained to the desk person what had happened and he said the police are corrupt and that money would go right into his pocket! He said it wasn't necessary to have a permit to drive in CZ....so we went on our merry way. When we were leaving CZ, the two guards at the border pulled the same thing, only they insisted we come into their little border hut and they put us through the same routine...only they were screaming, "PROBLEM", "PROBLEM"...One of them was holding our passports and slapping the on his desk and turning very red! Meanwhile, the people in line were being totally ignored. We said we didn't have $200 and he eventually came down to $40, which we didn't have either because we were leaving the country and had spent all of our Chech money at a roadside fruit stand...so we tried to give him a credit card...well that really set them off and they started laughing at us...I was in tears by this time. They had us walk to some buildings, through a field, in order to get money with our credit card....which was an epic in itself, but I've already made this reply too long...bottom line is, we will never again go to the Chech Republic. Mary