Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving to Prague from Germany.. Yes or No???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My Husband and I will be in Hannover in mid-September for a tradeshow. We would like to take sometime and drive to Prague. We prefer to drive because of the flexibility it offers in regards to stopping and not having to be on a set schedule. I have read that it isn’t easy to find parking or to drive in Prague, and that is fine we don’t mind parking the car at the hotel for a few days…. But my question is, do you recommend driving into the Czech Republic to Prague or would you suggest taking a train from Berlin?
Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:15 PM

this guy did just that in this travelogue. i came across it when i was researching for my prague trip (next year).

http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Czech/Prague/2004/

he talks about the parking issue too.hope you find it useful,
c
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:20 PM

I only know from a few years ago that it was difficult if not impossible to find a rental agency that would allow a car to be taken from Germany to Poland, apparently theft issues. It may have changed, however. I would check with a agency like AutoEurope (www.autoeurope.com) which arranges discount rentals through established international car rental agencies. Their website should include the current rules. Enjoy planning your trip!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:21 PM

We have driven to Prague and stayed at the Best Western Hotel Moran (need to check name) which had an underground car park. It was a couple of tram stops out from the centre. You certainly don't want or need a car while you are in the centre of Prague but driving there shouldn't be a problem. If you have a hire car, check that it will allow you to drive into the Czech Republic.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
rex

Drove into and out of Prague in May 2003 (in fact, we dealt with and overcame the closed streets of the Prague Marathon, the second Sunday in May, I think). you already know the downside -- paying for expensive parking and the use of a car (rental cost) which is sitting idle. But our plans fit best to have it for travel inward, onward and back (into Austria, which is where our rental originated), and it was still our most economical option, and gave us flexibility and comfort that we prefer.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:11 PM

The car rental is not a problem. Just advise the rental agency that you are going into the Czech Republic. You will need to purchase a sticker, once inside Czech. We buy ours at a service station just after you cross the border station. If you get a chance, check out the small walled town of Loket, just before Karlovy Vary. We stayed at the White Horse Hotel the last time. A nice relaxed stop for us. It has a web site and we booked before going, but in Sept. you may luck out without reserving a room.
The year before we stayed accross the street at the Gothe(not sure if I spelled this correct, but it was not near as nice. I rent thru Sixt and get their Holiday Car Special and keep checking, but my price through them for Aug 21th rental has still been the best price.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:24 PM

We drove in from Germany and had no problems because we had requested a car that could go into the Czech Republic. A car also gives you the flexibility to stop at other places than Prague. We visited Karlovy Vary, Telc, Trebon & Cesky Krumlov. Online I found a cheap hotel in the center of the city where you could pay a bit extra for parking. We drove the car in and did not touch it again until we were ready to leave Prague four days later. This hotel had a very, very small courtyard and they parked guests cars in there, blocking in the ones that were going to be there the longest. It was pretty amusing to watch them fit these cars into this teeny courtyard. I can't imagine why anyone would want to drive after arriving in the city.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:37 PM

I've never driven a car in Europe, but everytime my Czech friends drive to Germany, they end up in huge traffic jams. So, I would plan your route carefully to avoid wasting hours of time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:02 PM

Most rental companies allow cars to be taken into the Czech republic - just check with yours before you reserve.

I think driving is a fine way to go - allows you to make several stops as desired along the way. And there are certainly garages in Prague - as I recall not very expensive - to leave the car in.

The only potential issue is the drop off charge - we did a semi-circle and ended up returning the car in Germay - so no drop-off.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 04:25 AM
ira

Hi M,

If you check with Bahn.de you will find that you can train from Hannover Hbf to Praha for 39E pp.

For just a few days in Prague, I think that this is cheaper and more convenient than driving.