Search

Some Cesky Krumlov questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:34 AM
jgg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Cesky Krumlov questions

We will be driving from Prague to Cesky on Sunday June 22. Recently found out that is the last day of the Five-Petalled Rose Festival there. At first I was delighted thinking we would leave Prague early in order to get there in time to enjoy some of the festival. However, now I am a bit concerned about getting into the city by car. We are staying at Hotel Konvice for one night which is located at 145 Horni fairly close to Namesti Svornosti, which appears to be the main square. The owner of the hotel said the street would probably be closed until 5pm, but we could park somewhere else, walk to the hotel and then he would give us directions to the carpark. I'm just wondering how easy this is going to be. Is the city fairly small, that it wouldn't be too far if we couldn't drive into the main square?

I'm considering just leaving Prague later and arriving after 5pm, but then worried on a Sunday evening after a big festival things could be closed and pretty dead, so then wondering if we should just spend an extra night in Prague and skip Cesky altogether.

Hoping someone can give me guidance here. There will be six of us so we are renting a large van - so may not be that easy to park either.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 10:46 AM

It is a small town, but that doesn't mean a carpark couldn't be located a mile or couple km from your hotel. I don't know those specific addresses, unfortunately. Things are pretty dead on SUnday evening anyway, regardless of the festival, and probably especially in Cesky Krumlov. It's a small town.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM

We found CK to be so enjoyable, interesting, and unique that I'd have a very hard recommending to anyone that they skip it. We wish we had planned to stay a night. IMO it's an experience not to be missed.

I'd follow the owner's advice. The town is very small and easily walkable. We were told that most people don't drive into the center of the town anyway and leave their cars in carparks - and that certainly appeared to be the case. The streets are very narrow and parking is a major issue.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:29 AM

The car park is within easy walking distance of any part of the town. Don't skip Cesky...it's a winner!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM

We are also going from Prague to Cesky Krumlov the first part of July. We have been told to take the bus instead of driving (we are going on to Vienna after one night).
I would appreciate any information you could give us on where to stay or how your driving experience was.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
jgg
Original Poster

Thanks all for the encouraging words. We will keep Cesky on the list.

mjbinkc - There have been many people on this board who have driven in Prague with no problems. We will be renting the car in Munich then driving to Prague, Prague to Cesky, then Cesky to Salzburg then back to Munich.
We will be staying at Hotel Konvice in Cesky Krumlov (http://www.en.stadthotel-krummau.de/) it is located right near the town square and gets good reviews on TripAdvisor. I have also found them to be very responsive to my questions.

I will definitely be writing a trip report upon our return. Hopefully before you leave!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM

Three weeks ago we rented a car for a couple days to drive in the countryside including CK. The Czech roads are really well maintained and there is not much traffic on them. We found everything well marked and the rental company map fine for navigation.

We stayed at Castleview Apartments and really enjoyed our stay there. It too is located right off the main square.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:18 PM

I agree that CK is a must-see place, especially as an overnight trip so you can see it at its best (early a.m. and evening). It is a gem and indeed magical. We've been there a few times (stayed a few different places) but my favourite would be Castleview. We normally stay in rural B&B's but sometimes you just want to be a little town.

It is true that roads are great - very easy country to drive and navigate. The entire country is gorgeous - so many castles and beautiful scenery. As much as I love Prague I love the countryside and smaller towns (i.e. Cesky Krumlov, Telc, Slavonice, Trebon better).

Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 04:32 PM

CK is a true gem and you don't want to miss it. Have a good trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM

We loved CK... although be mentally prepared to get lost getting to your hotel.

We were staying on a one-way street that had a carpark. We couldn't figure out how to get there -- the roads were one way and all going the wrong direction. I finally got out, left my dh behind, walked to the hotel, asked how to get there. We had to drive significantly around the town before we found the right road.

Having said that, we loved the town and wished we had spent more time there!
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:17 PM

Forgive me because I haven't done much research yet - but I would love your thoughts......

We will be flying into Prague and spending 3.5 days, staying at Hotel Rott. Then we will take the train from Prague to Cesky Krumlov (arriving early afternoon) and will stay 2 nights - allowing for 1.5 days for seeing the town.

We will be traveling with our boys (14, 16) and we all really love small towns.

So - is 1.5 days enough time to see the town?
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:35 AM

Grcxx3-

You'll be fine with 1½ days to see the town.
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:38 AM

That's what I thought - but just wanted confirmation! Thanks!

Now I just need to get a hotel!
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:40 AM

You can take a train from Praha to CK (no, that does not stand for Calvin Klein, sweetie darling)? I thought the train only went to Budovice (sp?).

Please explain whilst I drink my morning bowl of gin.

Thingorjus
Old May 18th, 2008, 05:51 AM

You have to change trains in CB (I"m not even going to TRY to spell it) - a little "spur" line from CB to CK.....king of like the little line to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (spelling??).

Do you like corn flakes or bran flakes with your morning gin????? Evening here - so I have a Jack & Coke!
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:11 AM

Oh, that is just so wonderful. I did not know that. I just LOVE Cesky Krumlov and would like to go back some day but didn't know how to get there. (Took day tour to CK from Praha in 2004).

All you Fodorite alcoholics are just a plethora of information.

PS
I haven't eaten anything since 1974.

Thingorjus
Old May 18th, 2008, 06:21 AM

I just wish my "plethora of information" would direct me on an easy way to get there.

We kinda decided to go there first (followed by 4 days in Prague)....and rather than fly to Prague (2 flights) and then transfer to the train station and go to CK - I convinced my DH that it would be easier to fly to Vienna (1 flight), transfer to train station and go to CK.

NOT! It just isn't working out as well as I thought. Going thru Vienna requires THREE train changes and only gets us in about 2 hours earlier than going thru Prague.

UHG! This is the part of travel planning that I HATE!!!!
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Check out the Pension Lobo shuttle. I am struggling with the same problem. The shuttle picks up in Vienna as well as Linz (I think). I had just about figured everything out and realized the castle is closed on Mondays in June.
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM

internetwiz - thanks for info. That is definitely a possibility.

The only "problem" for us is that we would be arriving in Vienna at 6 am and the bus doesn't leave until 12:30. So we would need to "kill" several hours getting from the airport to the train station.

But - still worth considering....
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:42 PM

Another transportation option is
www.mike-chauffeur.cz. We were very pleased with the service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -