Driving Routes in Andalucia

Mar 17th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Driving Routes in Andalucia

Hello,

I'm off to Spain in 2 weeks, and I've been a bit lax in my preparations, especially those around driving and routes. (Luckily the hotels are all set.) In your opinion, what is the best route to go:

Madrid to Cordoba
Granada to Ronda
Ronda to Sevilla

We're masters at manual cars, so tricky roads aren't an issue. We're just looking for some fantastic scenic routes.

Thanks in advance!
Mar 17th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Go Madrid to Granada to Cordoba to Ronda to Seville.
Mar 17th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I can't help you with the Madrid to Cordoba or Granada to Ronda routes BUT... the route between Sevilla and Ronda is gorgeous and scenic on it's own. However, if you're up for more of an adventure, take the the main route (A-376) out of Ronda. After a few miles it splits; take A-372 to the left. This will take you around the south side of the lake, and you can drive through Arroyo Molinas and Zahara. It then joins up again with A-376. Shortly after returning to A-376, you can take a right onto a more "rustic" road. This will take you on switchbacks up through the mountains, and be prepared... we had to stop for a herd of sheep. But it's a good way to see some "back-country". You'll come to a fork in the road; bear left on route C-339 towards Coripe. After Coripe, you can either bear right and head up to Moron de la Frontera, or bear left onto Se-446, which will take you back to the "safe" route.

When we drove this, we did the reverse - from Sevilla to Ronda. This route is not from memory - what I've done is gone to Mapquest and pretty much walked you through the route. I'm ASSUMING this is the same route we took. If you go to Mapquest, don't ask for directions, just ask for a map of Sevilla and then scroll down to find different routes. You can probably use this to find more scenic routes between the other cities.

Have fun - it's beautiful no matter where you go!
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Oh... Oops. I guess I misread your question... You were looking for the order. Well, now you have a detailed route!
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Go to mappy.com and check the different routes and options to see the distance and time between stops.

The route would also depend on what hotels you have on which days. They will determine your actual route.
Mar 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Get the Michelin map for Andalucia--#578 Regional. I believe you can get them at some bookstores here in the States or I've been told on amazon, or you can pick one up at a service station once you're there.

Also, you might check out maribelsguide.com--she's a true pro on this area and I believe she has lots of information on this.

Have a grat trip.
Mar 18th, 2005, 04:12 AM

Quickest way from Granada to Ronda is the autopista. Pretty dull. However, somewhere nearish to Ronda at a place called Fuenta de Piedra (north of Antequera) there is a detour to a large lake where there are flocks of flamingos which are worth a look.
Mar 18th, 2005, 08:26 AM

depending on the time you ahve allotted, i would try to detoru to toledo on way to cordoba if only for a quick look up and down.
then back to a-5 meandering through at least CONSUEGRA,( don quijote countryside)with its beautiful castle and windmills.

ALMAGRO is worth a coffee stop if nothing else.. .
and there is a parador in BAILEN but i cannot remember what the town is like.