driving Marbella to Seville

Jun 4th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

driving Marbella to Seville

Has anybody on this site done this drive? Which way is faster- up through Ronda, or going back to Malaga and joining the A92 most of the way. I know through Ronda is more scenic, but we will have been there already and are just interested in the fastest time on this occasion.
Thanks
Jun 4th, 2005, 06:23 PM

I have look it up in www.viamichelin.com and the result is that going through Ronda is faster
3 hours drive.
I don't drive myself so I cannot help you more
Jun 4th, 2005, 11:19 PM

I've only driven the Ronda route (188 kms) because it is more scenic. Heading back through Malaga will add about a half hour to your drive. The road through Ronda is in excellent condition, but it will all depend on the amount of traffic and the the type of car you're driving. You need something to handle the hills.
Jun 5th, 2005, 12:12 AM

I've done both and while the Ronda-Seville route is shorter, it not necessarily mean that it will be faster. The mountain roads are often used by trucks and if you sit behind one, there goes your time schedule. Also, weather and daylight should be two factors to weight in with The Ronda-Seville route. My rec is if driving early in the AM and with good (visibility) weather, take the Ronda-Seville route. Otherwise, go A92.
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Going via Ronda, it isn't only trucks. Other motorists, or buses, will slow you as well, and traffic is getting fairly busy at this time of the year.

The A92, OTOH, was almost completely deserted the other week pretty much from Seville city limits to a few miles north of Malaga. For most of the way, you could have driven at virtually any speed you wanted. That certainly wasn't the case on the Marbella-Ronda road
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:51 AM

We have only driven this route via Rhonda. Either way, keep in mind that southern Spain has many mountains and hills. I advise against renting a car that is underpowered. We once had a car with a 1.2 litre engine (a VW Polo) -- it got great gas mileage, but was lacking in power.

Woody