driving in Italy

Search

driving in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving in Italy

I need some advice about driving from Rome to Positano. I need to drop my renal car in Sorrento, Does anyone know how far Sorrento is from Positano? How long is the ride from Rome to Sorrento, Do I need to drive through the notorious Naples to get to Sorrento? I understand it is not recommended to drive in Naples. Also, I am planning another drive from Rome to Florence. How long should it take us? And where in Rome is a good place to pick up a car if I will be traveling to these destinations? The termini? The airport? I guess we'd get a taxi to go to pick up point. Staying near Campo de Fiore in Rome. Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:05 AM

Are you going to be staying in Florence and Positano? Do you need the car to stop along the way to these destinations? A car isn't necessary in Florence and is actually a burden as parking is limited and can be expensive. The drive from Rome to Florence on the A1 takes about 2 and a half hours. The train takes 90 minutes. If you haven't driven in Italy before, driving in Rome can be very challenging. Still, people do it and many pick up their cars at either Termini or by the Boghese Gardens. The drive from Rome to Sorrento takes about three hours unless you encounter a lot of traffic between Naples and Sorrento. The autostrada cuts through Naples but you don't really enter the city. Positano is between 30 minutes and 90 minutes from Sorrento depending on traffic.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:34 AM

Do yourself a favor and learn how to use www.viamichelin.com
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for being so helpful.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:05 PM

We almost always rent a car in europe - but that's because we're generally doing road trips.

If you;re just doing one or two point to points and don't have any special reason to get a car - ie baby with tons of stuff to carry or an elderly or handicapped traveler for whom walking is a real issue - I would think trains would be much simpler and cheaper than a car.