2 Days in Rome/ What woudl you do ?

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Days in Rome/ What woudl you do ?

We will be in Sorrento for 3 days ( at the Minerva) and Positano for 3 days (at the Villa Rosa) and Rome for two days (at the St. Anna ) What what you do ? We are traveling with my 13year old son....All your suggestions are most welcome regardign any part of our trip !!!! Bring it on....
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM

When in Rome, in addition to seeing all the regular tourist spots, may I suggest visiting the Santa Maria della Concezione, Via Veneto 27, and their crypts filled with the dismembered skeletons of 4000 Capuchin monks. It is gruesomely cool.

Enjoy your travels.
Robyn
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:05 PM

Your son might enjoy the church of San Clemente, built in three layers with a temple dedicated to Mithras at the bottom. It is near the Colosseum. In EUR (take the metro) there is a driving school for kids his age. They get to drive a little go cart type vehicle around a track and it's very popular.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:24 AM
yk

ttt
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:36 AM

Hello,

My wife and I were just in Rome. We stayed at the Hotel Stendhal near Piazza Barberini.

To eat try Gioa Mia, it's a great little tratitoria that the locals go to.

To visit, you have to see the Vatican museum, get there early the line is long and they close at 3pm. We got in line at 7:30am.

Hope this helps,

---Mark

Old May 31st, 2004, 06:53 AM
ChatNoir

Where is Gioa Mia located? Is it known for any dishes?

Old May 31st, 2004, 07:26 AM

I wouldn't go to the vatican if you only have 2 days. I would go to the Colleseum and forum, you might even want to schedule a tour with Scala Reale, I've heard they have guides that are very good with youngsters.

My understanding is that the crypt with the skeletons is closed In one walk you can go from Spanish steps to Trevi fountain to Pantheon to the Piazza Navona, and if your son likes cats, you can even to to Torre Argentina and visit the cat sanctuary there. That can all be done in one walk.

I just got back with a 14 & 16 year old and my experience was that they were not that interested in churches. But all kids are different so get a guide book and ask him what he wants to see

See my post on Teenagers in Italy

Joelle
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:39 AM

Let your son enjoy the sights on the Positano beach - maybe take a kayak out - there are so many kids there. My daughter kicked around a soccer ball for a while with some.
My daughter also enjoyed Paestum when were staying in Positano and watching the other teenagers in Capri.
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:12 AM

Consider taking an inexpensive general bus tour of Rome.They will driveyou and show and tell about many things.Then you and your son can decide which places interest you and visit them,mostly on foot.chow
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:21 AM
rex

There is no age kid that would prompt me to give the advice of NOT going to the Vatican museum(s)!

And conversely, I have been to San Clemente, and I think it is not nearly as interested as they make it out to be. It requires a rather focused intrest in the arcane history of the first ten centuries of the Christian church (various denominations) that have shared this site.

I'd say the obvious "biggies" are just as appealing to a 13 year old as to anyone old enough to be a parent of a teen: Vatican (museum and St Peter's), Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, gelato, walking around - - in general.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:31 AM

I would spend 2 hours at twenj.net
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:52 PM

>>There is no age kid that would prompt me to give the advice of NOT going to the Vatican museum(s)!

Well I stand by what I say. If you have only 2 days - there are much better ways to spend your time. If you do go to the Vatican, do not try it on your own. Get a guide. But I still say with only two days, the Colleseum, forum and just walking around the city are better ways to spend your time. But ask your son. There are plenty of other less crowded interesting museums around Rome if your time is limited.

And I also disagree that getting in line arly in the am is your best bet for the Vatican. I think the lines are longer in the morning because everyone has the same idea. We got in line about 11:30 and waited only 10 minutes. But that was in May, I suppose it depends on the time of year.

Joelle
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:24 PM
ChatNoir

The church of San Clemente is very interesting and underground portion appeals to many people, old and young.

Old May 31st, 2004, 05:16 PM

Gioa Mia...
First, Gioa Mia is located just off of Via Del Tritone. It's address is 34 Via degli Avignonesi and the phone number if you want to amke a reservations is 06/488.27.84. I'm not sure what foods they are know for but we ate there a couple of time and the service was outstanding as well as the food. The red house wine is a definate. We had appetizers and Pizza the first night, you have to have Pizza while you're in Italy. The second night we went all out and did what the Romans do while in Rome. We started with the Veggie appetizer grilled, baked and sauted. The next course was pasta with a Carbonara sauce, excellent! The main meat course was a grilled piece of fillet with a green peppercorn sauce which was the best I've ever had. We would have finished with the home made Neopolitian but they wer sold out. A the end of the meal they give you Limeoncello which is an after dinner cordial made from lemons and is common in Italy.

Rome....
Unfortunately I cannot say for sure what a 13 year old would prefer to do in Rome but just walking the streets with nothing in mind may not be the best thing to do.

The Vatican does open early and I have to say that the lines were very very long even after we finished going through the museum We left around noon and at that time the line streched around the corner that led to Saint Peter's Square which was about 3 New York City blocks. And from what the locals said it was at least a 1 1/2 to 2 hour wait to get to the main entrance. I would agree that the wait is most likely shorter the earlier it is in the season. One other thing the Bassilica has an under ground tomb area which houses the crypts of a number of Popes and within the main floor of the cathederal there is a crypt made of glass that has one of the Popes within it. This area seemed to be crowed with people of all ages trying to get a peek at the Pope.

As for the Colleseum I agree it's fantastic. The ruins will take time to see if you want to explore them all. As a matter of fact there were school class trips at both the Vatican and the Colleseum. I would say that the Colleseum and ruins will take up a good portion of your entire day. Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to get you shoes and pants a bit dirty a lot of the area is dusty so don't plan on going to dinner in the same clothes.

Rome also has double decker tour buses that are open on top. If you want to see Rome quickly in a day you may want to consider taking one of them. I'm not sure what areas they stop at but the experience may be something that a 13 year old may like. The good part about this is that you won't have to walk or take the subway or taxi to each destination therfore you may not be a tired to do something after that. In addition, Rome is filled with more scooters and cars than you can shake a stick at. The view from the bus will allow you to be right in the mix of the kaos and provide your son with a birds eye view of the way the Romans get around. Not to mention some Italians drive some pretty nice cars so he may be excited about catching a glimps of one or two.

Positano...
As for Positano there are a couple of things that a 13 year old may find interesting. The beach area offers taxis and private tours on small motor boats (these may be expensive) but they will give your son the excitement of being out on a boat while you get take in the scenery. The beach is also a good area for them to hang out but when we were there on 5/26 - 5/30 there wen't too many people swimming.

One experience we had was a great trip from the beach in Positano to the Island of Capri. We arrived in Capri and took a convertible taxi that looked like a Fiat station wagon / limo up Anna Capri. From there we took the chairm lift up to the top of the mountain which was the highest point in Capri. The view was amazing and the chair lift was a real experience that everyone should do. You can have lunch at the top of the mountain they have hot Pannini sandwhiches and serve soda, cafe, and wine and beer amongst other things.

Someone also metioned seeing the crypts. If I were 13 years old or 80 years I would find this pretty interesting.

Hope this helps,

---Mark
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:30 PM

I absolutely agree about skipping the Vatican museums if you have only two days. If you could only get into just the Sistine Chapel, which I don't think you can, that would be worth it. The rest of the Vatican Museums is, in my humble opinion, simply a trek through wretched excess that ignores the very world's poverty that the Vatican is supposedly trying to eradicate. My kids have been there twice, most recently when they were 14 and 11, and, packed like sardines making our way through room after room of riches, we did not develop a healthy appreciation for the morals of the Roman Church; nor was it "fun" because there were so many people there - it was more like a forced march that took up most of a morning (this was early August, though, so that could explain the crowds). That said, the Sistine Chapel, now that it's been restored, is beautiful. They do make you look at it and move on pretty quickly, though.
We had only two days in Rome last time and we spent them at the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps and surrounding area, the Pantheon (it was closed - it ALWAYS is when I'm in Rome), the Piazza della Reppublica, a bit of Trastevere, the Colloseum and the Forum, and a brief side trip to Ostia Antica, which we adored! That plus some aimless wandering was plenty to fill up two days in Rome.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM

"If you could only get into just the Sistine Chapel, which I don't think you can, that would be worth it."

Disagree completely. It's the most overhyped sign in all of tourism. Personally, I liked the Raphael stuff much more. Especially the parody of Michaelangelo.

"The rest of the Vatican Museums is, in my humble opinion, simply a trek through wretched excess that ignores the very world's poverty that the Vatican is supposedly trying to eradicate."

This certainly true. It's hard not to go through the Vatican or most other big cathedrals without being overwhelmed by the arrogance and hypocricy of it all.

Still, it look real nice.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:04 PM

I really enjoyed my trip to Pompeii from Positano. I teach 13 year olds(middle school) and of all my pics from Italy, they loved the ruins of Pompeii. There are perserved remains of people there. You just take the bus to Sorrento(actually I think we were at the Meta station), then the train to Pompeii Scavi(scavi means ruins). You can buy your bus tickets at a tobaccario in Positano, then your train tickets can be bought at a stand right where the bus lets you off.
This trip will take you most of the day, so start early!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:12 PM

Spend more time in Rome.