Driving from Rome to Sorrento??

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving from Rome to Sorrento??

We're arriving in Rome (2 couples) on July 2 and have reservations for the first 3 nights in Sorrento at the Bellevue Syrene. We're thinking of renting a car at the airport and driving to Sorrento - then dropping the car there. We've never driven in Italy but my husband thinks that would be the easiest way to get to Sorrento without the hastle of trains and taxis. Do we rent the car when we get into Rome airport or do we rent it ahead from US?? Will it be a problem to drop it in Sorrento? Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Definately rent it before you get there-it's often much cheaper and your price will be locked in. Try AutoEurope as well as the other major rental car places. We drove to Positano and it was a nice drive but it may be a nightmare in high season traffic.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Yes, get the car at the airport. I don't know where you're coming from, but I'm usually not up for a pretty major drive upon arrival from an overnight flight. Otherwise the drive is pretty easy and well marked, although, the actual arrival in Sorrento is just a little scary with the streets and directions. Just make sure you have good directions to the hotel before you go.
I'd suggest calling Auto Europe and get prices from them. Getting them by phone will give you easier alternatives and better pricing then pricing them on their website.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:16 AM

I honestly don't know whether driving to Sorrento after an overseas flight would be less hassle than taking trains. You might consider both options before making your final decision. It's unfortunate you aren't flying into Naples--would have made things a lot easier for you.

I agree that AutoEurope will probably be your best bet for car rental (it has been for us) and picking up the car at the airport. The Autostrada from Rome to Naples is great, with rest stops periodically (gas stations and restaurants usually), but traffic moves very fast and driving in the fast lane except to pass is the rule of the road. It is also a toll road so you will need Euro or a credit card. I would suggest you read up on driving in Italy, paying tolls and familiarizing yourselves with the road signs, etc.

We've never had a car in that part of Italy so don't know where you will drop the car off in Sorrento, but AutoEurope will be most helpful in making your pickup and dropoff plans.

We always have stayed at the Bellevue Syrene on our visits to Sorrento and love the location, view of the Bay of Naples, breakfast room/breakfast, etc.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:45 AM
ira

Hi cherie,

It will cost you about 170E for 4 people to get from FCO to Sorrento by train.

It will be about 200E if you take the train and have a driver take you to Sorrento from Naples.

How does this compare to the cost of a car?

Note that you will be driving on a Saturday.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:46 AM
ira

OOOPS

Forget that last line.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Maybe price isn't the concern here, if not I would drive and have driven directly to Sorrento from FCO after a flight.
Take your time, don't be in a rush, read all the road signs, stop along the autostrada for snacks, have a wonderful drive and yes avoid the hassle of trains and taxis.
You can drop your car off in Sorrento, off the tourist tracks it is a regular city.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

We haven't booked our airline tickets yet but I checked on flying into Naples and it didn't seem that much easier to me than flying into Rome and driving.We would still have to get from Naples to Sorrento. Maybe I'm missing something but we were looking for the easiest way. I'll try looking for AutoEurope
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM
ira

>... I checked on flying into Naples and it didn't seem that much easier to me than flying into Rome and driving.<

Sorrento is about 30 mi from Naples. It's 162 mi from Rome.

The easiest way is to fly into Naples and hire a driver to take you from the airport to Sorrento.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:03 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There is a bus from the airport in Naples to Sorrento.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Even a taxi from Naples airport to Sorrento only cost us about €50-60 a couple of years ago. That certainly would be less expensive than renting a car, assuming your airfare is comparable to flying into Rome. It would be much easier for you because it is so much closer.

There is also the circumvesuviana train out of Naples Centrale train station that goes to Sorrento. More trouble but much less expensive.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

OK - Maybe I'm missing something - Don't you have to fly to Rome - then to Naples? I checked flying into Rome - then on to Naples and by the time we waited for the flight and then got a car or driver to Sorrento it seemed as easy as to drive from Rome. I can't find any direct flights to Naples.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 11:34 AM

You will probably have to connect somewhere else in Europe for a flight down to Naples. I will be flying LAX to Munich to Naples.

If cost isn't a concern you can hire a driver from Rome to Sorrento or hire a car.