Getting to Positano from Florence?

Old Apr 5th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting to Positano from Florence?

I saw the Rome to Positano the FAST way topic and I am hoping there are people out there who can help me too. My husband and I are traveling to Italy in June. We are starting in Florence, heading down to Positano and flying out of Rome. I am planning to make a stop for a night (Tuscany or Umbria region) on our way to Positano, but not sure where, if we should drive, take the train or a combination of both. I think most trains connect through Rome and didn't know if there was a more direct route via car.
How bad are the roads? We like to drive and my husband drove his mother all over Ireland (manual transmission) and drove in Singapore. I also drove the road to Hana on Maui - any comparisons?
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lots of tourists choose to drive in Italy but I think it's less stressful to take the train or bus, probably cheaper too. We have driven in the USA on the right hand side of the road, including the road to Hana, have driven in the UK etc etc but the driving in Italy can be very fast, chaotic, no regard to road rules etc. The roads seemed pretty good but very crowded. My husband and I had 5 weeks in Italy and only used public transport and were glad we hadn't hired a car. Parking is also a major issue and cost of fuel is high.
Kay
Australia (left hand drive territory)
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:21 AM
ira

Hi hw,

Check www.mappy.com and www.viamichelin.com for driving times and directions.

See www.trenitalia.com for train schedules to both Naples and Salerno.

Some trains go via Rome, but you don't have to change trains.

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 05:42 AM
GAC

This posting may answer some of your questions. I've just finished updating it to reflect the newest Trenitalia promotional fares, available any day of the week. You need to consult the Trenitalia website for the current schedule of trains.

www.trenitalia.com

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=5&start=0
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 11:49 AM

We just did the exact itinerary you are asking about. We started in Florence, then went to Positano, then to Rome, where we flew out of. I think the route and method you choose depends on your priorities during this trip. For some it's convenience, for some it's cost and for some it's practicality. What we did, is we used trains and buses for our entire trip, we did not rent a car this time. We caught the train in Florence towards Napoli. Got off there and connected in the station to the Circumvesuviana train which took us to Sorrento. The transfer is easy, you just have to follow the signs. Then in Sorrento you pick up the Sita bus to Positano. It's not a 'convenient' or direct way for sure. But it's the cheaper way to go; more for the adventurer. The other way, of course, is taking the train from Florence to Naples and having a driver pick you up there and take you directly to Positano. Do this is you don't want the hectic transfers...it's worth the money and we've done it before when money was not as big an object for us. Since you're going in June, I would not take a car...there's just too much traffic, it will be bumper to bumper most likely as you get into the Amalfi coast and no one should have to deal with that kind of driving when on vacation. Have fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - It is hard to find people that have done this itinerary. Right now, I am leaning towards renting a car from Florence and checking out some of the Tuscany sights and then taking a train from Orvieto to Naples. I haven't priced anything out so we might train it from Florence to Orvieto, stay the night there, take the train to Naples and finally make it to Positano. It's the journey not the destination, right?
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 08:05 AM
ira

If you go to Orvieto, agreat restaurant is I Sette Consoli
Pzza Sant’Angelo 1A
phone/fax 011 39 0763 343911

Have lunch (40E pp and worth every lire) or dinner in the garden.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM

We just returned from Italy last week. We took the Eurostar train from Rome to Naples. From Naples, we hired a driver to take us to Positano. I thought the road was better than #1 in California (around Big Sur). My husband drove in California. He didn't mind driving in California, and I hated it.

I had a false sense of security on the Amalfi Coast road. Afterall, they have skimpy railings (ha!). To my surprise, my husband stated many times that he was so glad that he wasn't driving.

So it depends..........

Happy Travels!

P.S. If you'd like, I can give you my drivers name. He was recommened by another friend, prior to my trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 07:06 AM

I would strongly recommend the train. The train is very comfortable and the trip is very easy. We were met by a driver (I can provide his information if you would like) at the train station in Napoli and he drove us to Positano. There is very limited parking in Positano so having a car is problematic. The driver was delightful and he was very reasonable and reliable.
We are returning to Positano in a few weeks and he will again meet us at the train station. We are also going to reserve a day with him to visit Pompeii and Ravello. It is much more enjoyable to have someone familiar with the area negotiate the bizarre driving rules of the Amalfi Coast.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Tilburg and KBHR I would love your drivers names and contact info as we will be arriving via train from Rome to Naples later this year and going on to Positano. Thanks.
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 02:24 PM

We took a train from Florence to Naples, then had a driver pick us up, but you can take a train on into Sorrento, and then a cab or bus.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:33 AM
ira

Hi tp,

We used Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 05:56 AM

I have a driver to recommend, too. His name is Giovanni Gargiulo, and he can be reached at tourofitaly.com. We've used him many times for trips from Naples-Positano, as well as daytrips to Pompeii, and tours of the Amalfi Coast.