Driver's License Concern

Old Jun 15th, 2014, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's License Concern

During my trip to Greece this July, my friend and I will definitely want to be renting ATVs and/or cars. We are both 27 years old and have both had our driver's licenses since we were 16 (that's 11 years if anyone's counting).

OK, so, my big concern is this: upon researching the requirements to rent a car/ATV/moped/whatever, a very common condition I have seen is that "The Driver must hold a valid car driver's license for at least 1 year" or "for 6 months."

This is totally confusing and worrisome to someone like me who recently had to renew my license, just last month in fact. As most of you know, your driver's license isn't good for forever, and you have to renew every few years. That time just happened to be last month for me, and my friend had to have hers renewed just last November. From the face of our driver's licenses, they're "valid from" May 2014 and November 2013, although of course we have both been continually licensed for more than a decade now.

Could this seriously be a problem? Am I somehow being overly literal and will the rental companies be more relaxed? I would imagine they must run into this situation all the time, and I understand not wanting to rent to someone who just got their license for the first time...but enforcement of such a bright line rule against those of us who've been licensed for years and years and just happened to get a renewal recently seems unreasonable.

Any help? Unfortunately if we aren't able to rent cars or ATVs, it'll present a really big problem.

Garrett
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 06:45 AM

I can't answer your question positively, but I don't think you will have a problem with a renewed license. But I will mention that when my husband and I were in Greece and wanted to rent a car for the day on one of the islands, for the first time ever, he was asked for his international drivers license. Luckily we always get them "just in case". You can get one at a AAA office for $15. Since then, the only other place asking to see an international drivers license was Costa Rica.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 06:48 AM

The renewal's no problem. Depending on your country of residence, you may need an International Driver's Permit as well as your license. The IDP is not necessarily required to rent a car, but in case of any problem, the police will want to see it.

If you're from North America, it's quick and easy to get an IDP at your local AAA/CAA office -- for about $25 including photo.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the IDP advice, guys. A relief to know the renewal won't be a problem!
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Sometimes it’s possible to rent a car just by showing your passport and a current drivers license. No problem.
BUT....................
If you get in an accident and don’t have the IDP you'll be in serious trouble with the Greek Police. Greek Law requires it and if you can't produce it you could possibly be detained until you come up with the cash to pay for any _and all_ damages to the vehicles involved regardless of whose fault it is and whether or not the damages were pre-existing (especially if the other car belongs to a local seizing the opportunity to play the system!)
AND...................
Your insurance will be invalidated because technically you will have been driving illegally.
And in that regard I also encourage you to take out the local insurance offered when you pick up the car, as much coverage as you can get. Don't rely on the automatic insurance your credit card claims to provide you. You'll be in a foreign country and there won't be a claims adjuster handy.
Just as important: Don't take "No Problem" as a substitute for indicating on the rental acceptance form every little scratch, dent, tear, stain, crack and missing part on the vehicle, inside and out and underneath. Take photos to back up your inspection. If the rental agent resists signing off on all that you've indicated walk away and find another agency.
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 08:44 AM

They don;t care how long you have had THIS renewal - they want to know the total time you have been driving. (Naturally, they are concerned about a driver who has had a license only for a few months overall.)

But definitely get the IDP - so there is no problem if you are stopped by a cop that does not speak/read English (most of them).

This is based on renting a car. Know nothing about ATVs and can;t imagine what you would want with one in Greece (have you checked on where they are allowed to be driven?).
Old Jun 15th, 2014, 08:51 AM

ATVs are a very common rental option out on the islands. They're everywhere.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:44 AM

How about a letter from your insurance company saying you have had your car insured with them for X number of years etc. I can have such a document notarized for 10 dollars where I live making it look so much more official. You might also consider a 'drivers abstract' from the police. I understand such things are often needed if one is applying for some type of driving job.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:47 AM

You could also take along the expired drivers license so they can see the longer driving history.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:51 AM

On the topic of car rentals, can someone over 79 rent a car? I just heard you can't in the UK.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 04:51 AM

I make a mistake, that should be 70 not 79!!!!!!
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 06:46 AM

Actual there are companies with 75 limit. I chekced www.carantee.com and the maximum age is 75 years old
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 06:59 AM

I was curious and looked at my license, and sure enough, it only gives the date of the most recent issue, not how long you've been licensed in that state. I was surprised. I imagine they wouldn't question it for someone age 27, anyway, though. I always keep Xerox copies of all my old passports/drivers licenses, etc., too bad you don't have one but I imagine they just make you sign something swearing you have had one longer. They don't have that requirement in the US that I know, they just make you show a currently valid license.
Old Jun 19th, 2014, 08:45 AM

The don't "make you sign something swearing you have had one longer." If you present a valid driver's license along with the IDP and your passport they will be satisfied. Some won't even ask for the IDP, some won't ask for the passport, some won't ask for the driver's license. The informality of it all is typical, although some will ask to see everything if they adhere to a stricter policy.