COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Drive from Geneva to Lake Orta

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Drive from Geneva to Lake Orta

Hi! I am lokoing for suggestions on how to spend a day or so on the road between Geneva and Lake Orta. We are going on a two week trip around the Italian Lakes in September. I've planned the Italian part of the trip, but also wanted to explore Provance for a day or two, somewhere close to Geneva on our way back to the airport. We fly from New York to Geneva and rent a car there to drive to the Lakes. The Italian part includes Lakes Orta, Como, Maggiore and staying for 3 days in Bergam. I would appreciate your suggestions for Provance.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 08:59 AM
ira

Hi S,

At www.maps.google.com plot the route from Bergamo --> Briançon, France --> Aix-en-Provence (or Arles or Avignon) --> Lyon, Fr --> Geneva.

Take a day or two from Italy to enjoy France as well, without being rushed.

My trip report might be of help to you
Ira Returns From 22 Loverly Days in Europe - Sep, 2009
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM

That route is no where near Provence--all in the Alps via Aosta in Italy. Why not enjoy the Alps?
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM

When you add Aix into the itinerary, the drive time jumps from 4 hours to over 9 hours and takes you along the French coast--is that what you want?
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Dear bobthenavigator, thank you so much for clarifying! I am sorry, I meant whatever is the France region that is between the Geneva and Italy. Somehow, looking at Lyon, I thought it's Provance. You are right - that's not what I want - I'd like to stop by during these 4 hours drive for a day to enjoy France. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM

The only parts of France you will see are the French Alps--mostly ski resorts. Run the Google Maps program for a detailed routing.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I have the detailed routing, Google Maps for the entire trip and all the bookings except for one night. What I am looking for is a suggestion on where to stay that night on our way back through the Alps. Looking at Chamonix-Mont-Blanc now, do you think it's a good location to stay for a day? Is it better to stay at B&B or the hotels in September? All the tripAdvisor reviews are from the ski tourists
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 08:10 AM

I would look at B&Bs in the Chamonix area--should be reasonable in Sep.