Search

Is this nuts, or what??!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this nuts, or what??!!

Hi there!!

We leave two weeks from tonight for Paris traveling to Clermont Ferrand for a house exchange. We are planning to take a train to Geneva for 2 days, Grenoble for a day and then to Torino, Italy for a day traveling back to Lyon for a day then spending another week in the Clermont area.

Is this too ambitious, are the days really too few for essentially a cursory visit to each city, does anyone have any other suggestions for destinations? Any personal favorite sites in these cities given the time there??

I've really enjoyed the information and personal experience you folks have shared and really appreciate any helpful comments any of you might have regarding my itinerary!
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM

I think it is too ambitious... too many places, too much traveling in between, not enough time in each. I'd pick two of the four (Geneva, Grenoble, Torino, Lyon) and see them in some depth.

Geneva is a fascinating city (albeit expensive) and you will enjoy cooler temperatures while there. I'd do three days there, then two days elsewhere (Lyon? ... or perhaps Avignon?)
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Geneva myself, so would spend those couple days nearby instead on Lac Leman in a town such as Lausanne, Vevey, or Montreux. More or less an hour easy train ride outside Geneva. From that area Annecy is a nice lake resort town desination in France. Just depends what you're looking for.

Old Jul 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM

Well, that would be ambitious for me. I'd skip Geneva, which I find boring as all get-out, and add time to Torino or Grenoble.

There are some really interesting places around Clermont-Ferrand,though, so I hope you'll get to explore that area. The city itself is, to me, kinda dull.
Old Jul 4th, 2007, 06:37 PM

Have you checked on how many hours the train is between Torino and Lyon..? If you go to Lyon, you should at least spend 2 nights.