Barcelona - please, help:)

Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Barcelona - please, help:)

I have planned my itinerary for B, with an exception for 1 day. I seem to have a hard time planning it. This is what I would like to do during this day:

Las Ramblas walk (Escribe, Opera House, etc)
Placa Reial
Placa del Rei
Placa de St Jaume
Cathedral
lunch (Boqueria or El Xampanet - spel?)
Palau de la Musica Catalana
Santa Maria del Mar
Museu Picasso
Dinner

Please, help me structure/organize it. THANKS!

Agnes
Jun 24th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Anybody, please.
Jun 24th, 2007, 07:33 AM

I don't have much advice for you but am posting mainly because you hope for a response. I have been to Barcelona several times and have not covered all the sites you suggest for a single day - maybe just go for a "slow travel" day, enjoy people watching on Las Ramblas, visit the cathedral and the cloister there, go thru the big market, have a nice long lunch. I wuldn't worry about having all my time planned in Barcleona - just relax and revel in BEING THERE! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful day and trip to Barcelona.
Jun 24th, 2007, 07:58 AM

I agree with seuc. I can't imagine how you could appreciate any of those places with such a hurried, packed sked. I'd follow seuc's advice to just relax and roam.
Jun 24th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. Still, if there is anybody that can suggest how to organize this day (order of sightseeing), it would be great. I have been trying to work with the map, but when you do not know the city, it is still hard.
Thank you.
Jun 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM

We visited there in May, and visited most of the places you mention. I'll give a try at a suggested order, while being lazy and not looking up any locations!

First question - where is your hotel? I'm guessing that you're not staying in the Barri Gotic, or else you'd be seeing a bunch of these sights just due to staying in the area.

Also, factor in the one place where you'll need to get tickets, possibly in advance - the Palau de la Musica Catalana. We showed up shortly after 10 am one morning, and the next English tour for which we could get tickets was 11:30. At that time, we found out that we could have bought or reserved (I can't remember which) tickets over the internet, that the ticket office opened at 9 or 9:30 (can't remember that either), and that you can purchase tickets from the ticket office one day in advance. So, assuming you can get the tickets for the time you want ahead of time, then you'll be able to schedule your day in advance. Otherwise, you'll have to juggle things around your tour time. That tour, in total, takes 50 minutes, 20-30 min. of which is a slide show, and the rest of the time is an actual walk around the building.

You could possibly do a sort of circle, starting at the "top" of Las Ramblas, at Placa de Catalunya, heading straight down (southwards), stopping at the Boqueria (whether or not you eat a meal there, it's a great place to visit and/or get snacks) and going slightly off Las Ramblas to visit Placa Reial. Then when you get to the "bottom," by the statue of Christophoro Colon, go over to your "bottom-most" site, Santa Maris del Mar. Then head up (northish?) through El Born, visiting the Museu Picasso. Continue further "up" and "west" (I think), to the Palau de la Musica Catalan and Placa del Rei, which is a very pretty placa. Then walk through Placa de St. Jaume, up to the Cathedral. A few blocks further north from there, and you'll be back at Placa de Catalunya.

This list could easily take you more than one day, even though many of the items on your list are beautiful scenary, rather than places to stop and visit. Also keep in mind that many of these sights (sites) are close together, and you could easily switch the order or drop off items and it would still work. I didn't include a dinner place, as it depends on where and at what time you would want to eat. And of course, you could do the same list in the opposite order. Supposedly, however, the Boqueria is more lively in the morning, though when we stopped by there on the Friday evening we were there, it was still very busy then (I assumed because it was the start of the weekend).

Enjoy!
Jun 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. It is very helpful!
Agnes
Jun 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

I think I just had an idea thanks to your help:
How about:
1) Palau de Musica Catalan (if we get tickets for a 10 am tour)
2) Cathedral and Placa de St Jaume and del Rei
lunch before or after Museu Picasso
3) Museu Picasso
4) Santa Maria del Mar
Is there a way to walk from Santa Maria del Mar to La Rambla (taking a longer way), along the waterfront?
Is this doable?
5) Las Ramblas (going from Columbus Monument to Placa Catalunya)
dinner
What do you think?
Thank you,
Agnes
Jun 26th, 2007, 09:20 PM

I don't remember what the waterfront between Santa Maria del Mar and La Rambla is like, and we weren't in that specific area. As you'll see if you look at a map, there's a pretty big road that goes along the waterfront at that point. That road runs underground for a few blocks; that the point at which we walked from the Santa Maria (El Born) area into Barceloneta for lunch one day. You could probably walk along the waterfron to Las Ramblas, but I don't know how scenic it would be. The Colom statue, as I recall, is in the middle of a traffic circle, but still scenic.

So your plan sounds good. Just another thing. Lunch pretty much everywhere starts after 1 pm. So either you'll finish with the Palau de Musica Catalan, Cathedral, Placas de St Jaume and del Rei AND Museu Picasso, then have time for a late lunch, OR decide to eat lunch before you visit Museu Picasso, and have some extra time in the morning (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Also, your revised plan would put you at or near the Boqueria near the end of the day, when it's (supposedly) less lively and interesting. Now, I am a big foodie person, but even so, I thought wandering around the Boqueria was great fun. One thing that I wish we did more was to buy more food, or a meal, at the Boqueria. So I'd say try to fit it in, if possible. One thing you could do is to go to the Boqueria first thing, and have breakfast there. It's not real close to the Palau de al Musica Catalana, though.

Have fun!
Jun 27th, 2007, 12:50 AM

Hi A,
I've never eaten in the Boqueria- to me it doesnt seem that appetising (you can smell raw meat, its not very clean and you'll be sitting on stools at a bar). last time i went for a glass of cava i was looking at a meat counter with just about every part of the animal you could think of on display. still getting used to the fact that they buy jellified blood in blocks to cook with rice here. apparently its lovely...
In regards to this-
1) Palau de Musica Catalan (if we get tickets for a 10 am tour)
2) Cathedral and Placa de St Jaume and del Rei
lunch before or after Museu Picasso
3) Museu Picasso
4) Santa Maria del Mar

You might want to do museo picasso and s.maria before 1&2, depending on what time picasso opens. Its a more logical route. there is usually a stupid queue outside picasso by lunch as well.

Santa Maria del Mar to La Rambla along the waterfront- is cool, you will see more boats if you loop round joan de borbo towards the beach and barceloneta, then back. the xampaneria tapas place i mentioned ages ago is on c/isabel, very close to metro barceloneta (for your bearings) and about 2 minutes from s.m.del.mar.

5) Las Ramblas (going from Columbus Monument to Placa Catalunya)
dinner

i wouldnt recommend plaza catalunya for dinner, better in gotico or el borne rather.
Jun 27th, 2007, 02:39 AM

Keep in mind that Santa Maria del Mar is closed for several hours in the middle of the day, from something like noon to 4 or 4:30 PM.
Jun 27th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Wow hold on I saw your list and thought it was for the week.

Exactly how long do you intend to be in each bit?

Depending on where your hotel is I think I would start at the water front and walk in land but that would mean moving cathedral and picasso around a bit. Note the Picasso queue can be way long
Jun 27th, 2007, 04:10 AM

You can certainly stop off at Liceu since it is right on Las Ramblas although I am not certain if the interior can be viewed during the day.

I have only attended the opera there once but it is wonderfully decorated despite having burned down at least three times in the past.
Jun 27th, 2007, 05:39 AM

There is a Hop on Hop off bus that hits all the sites in Barcelona.http://www.spainbookers.com/bcn/acti...urist-bus.html
Jun 27th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Everybody, thank you. I did not realize my day was so ambitious (?!)
Based on research done, and after reading at least 5 Barcelona guides, I assumed it would not be a big deal.
If anything, we will adjust - there is not need to 'overdo it', like I usually do. If anything, I can see the Cathedral, walk part of La Rambla hitting Boqueria, Escriba (spel), and Liceu Opera House (ext)
I want to see Palau de la Musica Catalana and Santa Maria Del Mar.
Picasso Museum is on my list just because it is a thing to see, and I thought that maybe I would change my mind about Picasso's art (I do not like it - maybe just a few Blue Period pcs)However, IF there is a long line, there is NO way I would be waiting to get in. It is just not my cup of tea...so I will classify it as "maybe" on my itinerary. My husband feels the same way I do about Picasso...luckily for me, I guess.
Anyway, I am going to stop by at the Boqueria Market, but just out of curiosity. Who knows? But the smell of fresh meat, and the images of bloody animal parts do not make it enticing, but rather make me queasy. Travel buzzing, thanks for the warning!
Everybody else, thank you for your time.
I am going to review my whole itinerary again...
I think maybe I was being too ambitious
I thought we would:
WED evening - after a snack, Manzana de la Discordia /and possibly either Casa Mila or Battlo interior - but, I refuse to wait longer than 15 minutes)
Thursday - you just helped me with it.
Friday and Saturday - Seville - nad yes, I already bought the tickets and made a hotel reservation for 1 night.
Coming back Saturday around 6 pm
Maybe a concert at Casa Mila rooftop?
Sunday - Sagrada Familia and Park Guell
Monday - Montserrat 1/2 day plus the beach (maybe)
Tuesday - leave
So you see, it looks hectic, but I am willing to adjust a bit.
Thanks again, and any comments/suggestions are more than welcome.
Agnes

Jun 27th, 2007, 06:07 PM

A little more information on the Picasso Museum. I'm not a huge Picasso fan, either, and went because we were there, and I wanted to see his early works. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, especially the entire room where Picasso painted about 50 pieces all based on Las Meninas (The Maids of Honour) by Velázquez. At the beginning of the room, there was a high-tech slide show that transposed Picasso's pieces with and on top of Velazquez's. It's the first time I've been able to pick out human figures in Picasso's later works! So if you go, you mgith like it more than you think!

Also, on the Boqueria, that's a good point about animal smells, though I never noticed any smells when I was there. There are animal parts at the meat counters (along with lots of jamon), just the same as at a butcher counter in the U.S. But there are also counters of fruits, vegetables, cheeses, nuts, fish and seafood, and prepared food and breakfast/lunch counters. Offhand, I'd say there were more fruit stalls and seafood stalls than anything else, though I didn't count! Also, I do recall that the stalls near the front were more of the fruit and vegetable types. But I LOVE food and am a big foodie, so keep that in mind too!
Jun 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Lexma90,
I appreciate your input, as well as honesty about how you feel re: Picasso...it seems any time I mention I am not crazy about him, people seem bewildered...if not shocked.
I will stop by at Boqueria, and decide if I want to eat there...in any case, we can always buy fruit and nuts to go.
Thanks again,
Agnes
Jun 28th, 2007, 01:14 AM

yeah the boqueria is nice for the takeaway fruit, spices etc. but the meat thing i have to disagree. there is a lot more than you might find in a US butcher, like tripe, hooves, brain blah you name it (and i was trying not to look!)

I am not that fussed on Picasso either, however went years ago and im not sure if its still there "Guernica" (that civil war painting with the horse) which was really worth going for.

Personally I think you could do your itinerary and more, without feeling shuttled about all day.
1. definitely thurs night i would add going to the flamenco in raval, and taking a wander around gotico.
2. I think also you could get more into sunday. Montjüic has really great views and the war museum (which i think i have mentioned before and sounds dull but is not!), you could get the ferrocarril (linked to metro) or the cable car up. maybe in the early evening (im all about city views at sunset!)
beforehand, get the metro or tourbus if you do the tourbus, up to parc guell, then walk down through gracia, cutting across towards passeig de gracia. pretty squares to stop for a coffee: pl.virreina, pl.del sol, pl.rius i taulet. you'll be delighted by this area for a sunday stroll. and you'll be able to practise that catalan
Jun 28th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Guernica is in Madrid at the Reina Sofia Museum.
Jun 28th, 2007, 05:42 AM

I wasn't previously, but it was the Picasso Museum in Barcelona that MADE me a fan, if it helps you at all. His earlier works are beautiful and the studies on Las Meninas (which I saw just before I saw Las Meninas themselves) are gorgeous.

I would not try to structure your time too much. You'll be following a regimen so much you won't relax! It took me three days to get through (and take the time to enjoy!) most on your list (plus the Gaudi sights). Just walk and enjoy the city.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO