Does Lufthansa weigh carryon bags?

Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Does Lufthansa weigh carryon bags?

Just curious how strict they are about this..... Thanks.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:49 PM

I've flown Lufthansa several times to Europe and have never had my carry-on weighed.

The only time I've had my carry-on weighed on any transatlantic flight (and I've flown many) was on Virgin Atlantic from London to Newark. I did notice some airlines question the number of carry-on's, but never weighed them.

Just got back from Ireland on Aer Lingus. Their website says something like 14-16 lbs -- I was never checked. My carry-on was about 30 lbs.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:01 PM

My son has flown Lufthansa from Portland to Germany last summer and last week. Last year they weighed his carry-on...it was over a bit, but they let it slide (musta been that bottle of wine he was carrying to his host family). This year, I don't believe they weighed it.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info, both of our carryons are at least 25 lbs. So I hope we slide on through too.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:35 PM

Have flown Lufthansa many times, most recently on 6/13, 2 legs. Our carry-ons were not weighed. To my recollection, the only airline that ever weighed our carry-on was British Air a few years ago.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:06 PM

On a recent round trip on Lufthansa, my carry on was only weighed when leaving Europe, not while going.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
lvk

I think it depends what airport you're flying from. The Lufthansa people at LAX are pretty strict, and have been weighing them. Last month, they made us check one because it was too heavy. I think 18 kilos was the limit.
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

I checked the website and I think it said 18 pounds.
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:47 AM

Actually, IMHO, if you are in the cheap seats, Lufthansa is the absolute worst way to get to Europe!
M
PS we're going BA (777) Business to LGW in July, and the AA 777 DFW-FRA First in Sept '02 was really special.
They don't weigh anything if you are not morbidly obese and fit in the seats.
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:55 AM

We just flew Lufthansa from London to Paris. When you check in, you set you bags down, carryon or not, on a scale-- We were well under the weight, so the attendent did not even notice the weight. But we saw the gentleman next to us at the next window have to pay for being over on an obviously overstuffed bag.
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:10 AM

..was flying out of munich (economy)..they didnt weigh but as people walking from gate toward plane, the baggage was being "looked at" and several people had there oversized pieces checked.....I for one wish more airlines would be very strict about cabin baggage in economy..i am tired of not being able to get a small soft bag or coat in the overhead because someone else has too much stuff..i know this is a hobby horse of mine, but in sardine class long hauls i think the whole issue of unchecked bags should be re-examined.
Jun 25th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Here's my 2? worth . . . we flew Lufthansa in Nov to Prague from Dallas, changing in Chicago and Frankfurt. I had the aisle seat and a 18" carry-on that probably weighed 20 lbs max. My friend had the window, her bag was 22", was overstuffed, and probably weighed about 40 lbs (she's large and her clothes are bigger . . . her explanation).

Departing Dallas, we had no problems, flight was full, but we both carried on.

At Chicago, the gate was a mad house, no seating area, no lines, just a mob of people waiting to board. Lufthansa boards all window seat passengers first, we were seated near the rear and my friend and her huge bag boarded with no problem.

By the time I could board (aisle), the gate agents started looking at luggage . . . made me check my small bag. I pointed out that people were still boarding with bags much larger (and more bags) than my one but if you want on the flight, you don't argue with the Lufthansa Nazi crew.

So . . . the bottom line is it depends on when you board, how full the flight is, who is watching. Just be prepared and have a Plan B.

Sandy (in Denton)
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:49 AM

Just flew Lufthansa to Frankfort last week, and I was really surprised when they weighed my carryon. That was the first time any airline had weighed my carryon and I've been flying to a long time!
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:21 AM

WOW! First time I've heard of boarding window seats first. Usually it's first class, parents w/children, and then from the back to the front.

Coming back from Munich to Newark, thru Frankfurt, we checked in with Lufthansa, they took our tickets, looked at our passports, and began the check-in process. I couldn't help but notice that when she began putting the check tags on our luggage, it clearly read JFK. WOOW!!! Lufthansa had arbitrarily switched me from my Newark flight to a JFK flight, and I was never told (I flew out of Newark).

After an hour of arguing and their fumbling, I was put on the Newark Flight. When I got to Frankfurt, I argued with them again because they had given our seats away. The plane was configured 2-4-2. We had one of the 2's and they put us in the middle of one of the 4's. I was told by the Lufthansa customer service gate guard that I should just be quiet and accept what I got. I was lucky to be on that flight (the flight I was already booked on, had seat assignment, etc).

What a Hoot!!!
Jun 25th, 2004, 09:30 AM

Why not simply query the airline and then follow the rules? Or gamble and perhaps lose the game!