Search

lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lufthansa

Has anyone used Lufthansa recently? I am going to Eastern Europe in May.

How strict is Lufthansa on carryon size?

Will I be able to bring back some Polish Vodka and other spirits as carry on?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM

There was a thread just recently on Lufthansa. I don't think it's as bad as everyone says. But the frequent flier miles help a lot in preferring them . No liquids as carry on, on flights from the EU, except 100ml in plastic bags.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:01 PM
jgg

We are flying Lufthansa this Friday to Barcelona. I have read other threads on here that state Lufthansa is pretty strict on the carryon size - make everyone put it in a "thing" to make sure it is the right size and then even weigh it to make sure it does not exceed their weight limit of 15 lbs.

I definitely do not think you will be able to bring home vodka or spirits in your carryon. Almost all airlines are being pretty strict about that.

I will say, from a prior experience, where we missed our connecting flight the Lufthansa agents were extremely nice and helpful!!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
J62

The airlines don't care about liquids, alcoholic or otherwise - it's the gov't security agencies.

If your polish vodka and other spirits are in 100ml or smaller bottles, and all together fit into a 1qt plastic bag, then go for it.

Otherwise you won't get past security - they'll toss your liquids into the trash, or perhaps into their special "for inspection later" bin.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:34 PM

Does this mean that the carry-on can weigh a maximum of fifteen pounds?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Hello J:

Not to hijack a thread, but do you have any input on my Leipzig restaurant question? Gradyghost
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 03:46 PM

I thought Lufthansa's weight allowance for carryon was 18 lbs. Anyone know for sure?
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Lufthansa's website has pretty specific answers to most of your questions. www.lufthansa.com Go to the "information and services" area. I fly them several times a year, I'd say they're pretty strict with the weight and size limits of carry-on baggage.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:26 PM
jgg

I just checked the website. Here is the link to the exact page: http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...nodeid=1769620.

It is a maximum of 8 kg, which equals 17.6 lbs. So Holly you were closer at 18 lbs. than I was at 15lbs. I'm glad you were right as I can use that extra 3 lbs!!

Here is exactly what the website says about carryon baggage:

Size and weight of carry-on baggage
Each piece of hand baggage may not be larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm and may not weigh more than 8 kg. An exception are foldable garment bags. They count as hand baggage up to a size of 57 x 54 x 15 cm.

Pieces of baggage exceeding these limits have to be checked in. As the stowage space in the cabin is limited we will transport them in the cargo hold. This is in the interests of your own and other passengers' safety and comfort.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 04:37 PM

I just flew home yesterday from Italy on Lufthansa. They did not wiegh my carry on but did have signs posted everywhere for size and weight restrictions. The only alcohol liquid you could bring on board was from duty free from airport because it is sealed as you purchase.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:28 PM

I flew Lufthansa last month from Frankfurt to Cairo and back to Frankfurt. They were strict with liquids, but I carried a backpack with my computer, plus my huge purse, and did not weigh anything.
Lufthansa is not perfect, but it is certainly better than Air Portugal, British Airways and Delta.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:03 AM

No liquids - it is a matter of security, not of airlines. What you can do is buying liquor at the duty free store and get them sealed.

Regarding carryon, Lufthansa is very relaxed. They never weigh or measure. You can bring everything that fits into the overhead bins or under your seat.

And if there is a small aircraft, you can deliver it at aircraft. Very convenient.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:44 AM

I would say that Lufthansa is better then most. For starters they work very hard to keep on schedule and their service is usually professional. Don't expect the flight attendants to gush over you.

As far as carry on luggage, I have never seen them actually weigh it at the gate but if you don't look like you have a goat in your bag, you should have no problems.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I just flew to Munich and back her to Washington, DC and I love Lufthansa--great staff, decent food and good service.

I only fly European carriers and they are excellent. I was on an Airbus and the leg room was not bad. Business Class was lovely as well.

Jennifer
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM

Here's my recent experience with flying Lufthansa. Left SFO on 03/13/07. They announced at the gate that only one piece of carry-on luggage was allowed, including purse, and must not exceed 17 pounds. However, they did not enforce this, as I saw many people getting on with purse outside the bag, as well as a lot of 22" rollies going onboard.

Returned 04/06/07. First flight Venice to Munich. The woman at the check-in counter in Venice told me I had to check my carry-on bag (a 21" soft sided gym bag type). She was not going to let me put my small purse into that bag and have it count as one piece. She finally relented after she asked her colleague if the gym bag type was allowed, and colleague said it was okay (after I held it up with 2 fingers as if to say - see how light this is?). Weight of gym bag was 6 kg, approx. 12 lbs. Purse was 2 kg, approx. 4 lbs. Together, under 17 lbs., but she didn't care about combining into 1 piece. At least I got away with taking my carry-on; the woman ahead of me had to check her's. Once in Munich, not a word about taking the carry-on with or without separate purse. And no problem in SFO getting onto the United flight to my final destination.

Don't know if this helps anyone. My impression from this trip is that the days of carry-on only are over, and the days of any carry-on at all (except for a small purse) are rapidly coming to an end.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Trick, have someone hold your stuff while you check in.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Great idea, but as a solo traveler, I'm not so sure I'd want to ask someone to do that for me. More than likely cause bigger problems than getting on without my carry-on bag.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:28 PM

I have flown Lufthansa, three times in teh last year. Once to Munich, twice through Frankfurt. I have not experienced any problems at all with them. My carry on is close to the limit size and no one has questioned me about it. I find their service to be good and personable.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I just fly on lufthansa last week from munich to ny. It was a great airline, they give more food then american carriers. And we had a new plane with bathrooms on its own floor in the bottom part of the plane, cool.. as for carry on liquids, only if you buy then after the security gates, because I brought on balsamic vinegar on the plane and the security people checked the reciept to make sure I bought it at duty free
happy flight