Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Weight restrictions for checked and carry-on baggage PLEASE

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:41 AM
robyn

Could someone please tell me what are the weight restrictions for both checked luggage and carry-on?
How many carry-on pieces is one person allowed?
I understand that airlines differ about this but I'm just looking for a "general guideline" I can follow.
Many thanks

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 11:53 AM
elaine

robyn
there is no general guideline, you MUST call your airline or check the website. This is not something that you should guess on.
Lately many if not most airlines are allowing only one carry-on bag, but your airline may differ, or change the rule starting July 1, or have one rule for overseas flights and another for domestic.

And some airlines like BA have long had very tight restrictions on the weight of carryons--13 pounds last time I checked. Many bags weigh nearly that much when empty.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Lori

Your airline can answer this question for you. If you are flyng British Airways tho I can tell you that they are pretty strict and only allow one carryon in Coach (steerage) - and it can't weight more then 13 pounds. They can (at their discretion) weigh it and measure it/whatever. BA is the airline we always fly. As for checked luggage it is usually 2 pieces. Be real careful about carryon tho, keep it small and light no matter what airline you go on, it's easier in the long run and you don't have to worry about having it sent "down below" at the last minute. If you think your carryon may not pass inspection keep a nylon bag or some such thing folded up inside it and that way if they were to insist it was too big for carryon you can empty some of your stuff into a nylon bag and take that for carryon so you would have your personal stuff with you.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Gretchen

Our experience (sometimes travelling with incredibly heavy suitcases on a medical mission) is that if the agent can pick it up it can be checked. For carry-on, check with your airline. I really think BA is the only one with restrictions and United for size.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Jennifer

Hi Gretchen,

I'd be very shocked if most, if not all, airlines don't have any restrictions!

I just made reservations with Northwest for Moscow, and here I what I was told (for economy):

Check-through -- 2 bags – maximum perimeter 62" or 70 pounds

Carry-on – 1 bag only (although a purse or laptop don't count) maximum perimeter 45" and 40 pounds.

Robyn -- absolutely check with your airline to avoid paying a lot of extra money or being forced to check any luggage that you wanted with you on the flight! It looks like there is no general consensus at all.

Jennifer

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:30 PM
xxx

This is silly. Ask the airline that you will be flying. There's no general rule app,icabel to all of them.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Leslie

Weight restrictions also vary depending on class of service.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:38 PM
robyn

Thanks all. Air france allows checked luggage to weigh no more than 70 lbs.
One piece of carry-on with specific dimensions, not weighing more than 26 pounds.
Just thought it might be useful for someone else to know as well.
Thanks again.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:05 PM
chris

I work for an airline and I am so sick of all you ignorant travellers who show up at my check in counter without a clue as to how much baggage you are allowed, then you proceed to take your ignorance out on the airline employees. Call your airline BEFORE you fly so you don't get a big surprise of excess baggage charges at the counter. This is especially for the AMERICANS who show up with tons of stuff for a 3 day vacation. GET REAL!!!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 03:34 AM
xxx

One could guess that Chris is a troll, who doesn't work for the airlines at all, but reading the post, I suppose Chris really does work for an airline --has the appropriate nasty attitude.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Gretchen

Jennifer, I agree that airlines really do have restrictions--I just mis-stated and meant that BA weighs stuff and United has a template that you have to put your carryon through. Continental has those great overhead bins that hold the standard roll-aboard so they allow a lot. I will add that if you are taking a roll-aboard on as your carryon be ready for the security check of your life--and no pointy things. And the 70 lbs would be just about the limit that the agent could lift (I got that info from a gate agent). And I may have heard that on Air France it is absolutely ONE carryon--including purse/handbag. Call the airline!!!

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Jennifer

Hi Gretchen,

What is a roll-aboard? Is it a suitcase with wheels?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:17 AM
Ann

I think Robyn must be a troll.

And anyone who goes over the rather generous weight allowances for checked luggage (aside from those like the earlier poster, traveling on a medical mission or for some purpose other than normal business or pleasure) simply is a moron. I'd have to pack my suitcase with bricks to ever come close to the allowance on any airline for checked luggage.