Carry-on luggage question

Sep 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Carry-on luggage question

Looking for opinions/infomation regarding problems taking carry-on luggage. Hubby and I are flying to St Thomas w/3 fairly young kids, 9 and 7 yr old twins. We are planning to have each of us carry maximum for carry-on allowance. Does anyone think we will have a problem with flight attentants making us check bags because of quantity of carry-on bags for one group?
Sep 17th, 2004, 03:35 AM

Each ticket is allowed a certain number/size of carry-on. I know of no restriction based on age of passenger. I would make sure you are within the specific airline's rules. I guess they could make each passenger, even the 7 year olds, carry their own carry-ons, but other than that, I don't see why you would have problems.
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Each paid passenger is allowed one suitcase (each airline is specific on size). We usually carry around 21 inch size. Also, each person is allowed a pocketbook, or briefcase. So, I carry a beach bag type with all of our toiletries, husband carries camara bag and kids carry small backpacks with snacks and toys.Then we each roll on our bags...no waiting at the other end. (We also come from a small airport which means we always change planes-thus lost luggage!)Your nine and seven year olds should be able to pull their own bags.
Sep 17th, 2004, 05:06 AM
caribtraveler

It's not just the quantity but also the size and the weight of your carryon.
You should call your airline and find out what's their limit/size/weight restrictions for carryon.
All I can tell you is from my experience, airlines have gotten really strict about that. And if your flight is full, they will be definitely enforce their rules.

Sep 17th, 2004, 05:13 AM

I ditto caribtraveler.....the airlines have gotten very strict about this. I wouldn't get carried away with carry-ons (no pun intended). And most airlines are now weighing checked luggage. If it's over a certain weight (50 lbs generally), they will charge a fee.
Sep 17th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Please check your luggage, there is nothing more frustrating than a herd of co travelers all taking their luggage with them making huge bottle necks at check in sites and especially in the plane aisle.
Just accept that it will take time and with kids that is doubly true. It will be less hectic for you to check 3 large suitcases, each kid have a comfy light backpack so you can keep track of them and not all the suitcases too.
As I recall, STT is pretty efficent.
As a traveling parent with 3 in tow, you don't save that much time doing the carry on thing with kids and keep your sanity and the peace of others.
Sep 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Island breeze: I couldn't agree more....please check your luggage.
Sep 17th, 2004, 12:15 PM

Yes please check your luggage. Although by reading the original post I got the indication Scarboroughmom that you want to bring max carry-on because of youngsters and may be checking luggage as well? If that is the case, and I'm assuming none are "special needs", I'm not sure what a 9 year old and two 7 year olds need in flight other than some snacks and things to do....unless you're flying in from Bangkok. I couldn't agree more with Island that you will have alot in tow and slow down the boarding process, not to mention taking up precious overhead space which might be needed for others with special needs or those traveling with infants/toddlers. People with alot of carry-on also slow down the security line. Its very frustrating to those of us who travel light to be stuck behind that kind of nonsense...and very inconsiderate.