Grand Cayman Trip Report

Search

Grand Cayman Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman Trip Report

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful vacation in GC. Started out rough with Hurricane Frances and was cut short due to Hurricane Ivan, but everything in between was wonderful. We stayed at Plantana Condos in #43 which was absoulutely wonderful. It was a one bedroom, 2 bath with washer/dryer, full kitchen and a loft with a 2nd bed. There was a screened in balcony, and a 2nd open air balcony that also had a charcoal grill to use. Plantana was on North SMB, and it was beautiful and quiet without being too far from everything. The beach couldn't have been better.
We ate at Neptune's, it was good Italian food, Smuggler's Cove was pretty good, Pappagallo's was good and good atmosphere, Treehouse which had a beautiful deck and view with good food, Hard Rock Cafe, and Papa John's. All of the food was good, and everybody is telling the truth about the expense, so that was not a surprise.

We went diving four days with Diver's Down, and they were fantastic. We saw several turtles, eagle rays, sting rays and many different types of fish and coral. We would definately dive with them again.

We rented a car from Junior at Marshall's on SMB, and they were fantastic. We thought the car was a must and definately would rent a car again if we go back.

Our last day was spent trying to get a flight out two days earlier than we had planned due to Hurricane Ivan, so we missed a couple of things we had originally planned to do. We will definately have to go back and do everything else we wanted to.
Any questions please feel free to ask.
Kim
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Kim, did you stay in one of the penthouse units?
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Kim F.?? I was wondering if you would come back early. Glad you still had a great time! Plantana sounds really nice. E-mail me when you get settled.
Linda (Summer or Island guy)
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Glad you had a good time. I'm definitely considering Plantana and would love to hear more about the property (pool, shore snorkeling, near by amenities i.e jet ski rental/ parasailing, etc.) Did you all make to Rum Point? Curious about that end of the island?
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Glad you enjoyed Plantana - we've been there twice and enjoyed both trips. For Pumpy -- there is a supermarket within walking distance - my suggestion is to go first thing in the morning before it gets too hot. There is also a liquor store and a few restaurants within walking distance.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

We were in the one bedroom oceanfront penthouse units, which I would highly recommend. Our beach was great white sand, and there was snorkeling just a little ways south from us. We did not make it to Rum Point since we had to leave early. We mainly got our scuba diving in and everything else we had planned to do was cancelled since we had to leave earlier than expected.The Westin was within easy walking distance though for skiing, parasailing etc. The pool was beautiful and the water warm, but we never used it because the ocean was so warm and awesome. We went to the grocery store the first day and got food for breakfasts and lunches which was very helpful. Any other questions I will be happy to answer.
Kim