St. John must sees?

Mar 17th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

St. John must sees?

Will be going to St. John in June and don't want to miss a thing. Besides all the snorkeling, what is a must that we should do and see????
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Lucky you! We were on St. John five years ago this month and fell completely in love with the island. We haven't made it back yet but we will definitely return.

The Annaberg sugar mill ruins is a really interesting site for learning some of the history of the island.

We also really enjoyed hiking from Cruz Bay down to Honeymoon beach, and then snorkelling over to Caneel Bay to check out the resort.

Our best days were spent just driving around the island and stopping at places that looked interesting.

Check out the books "St. John Off the Beaten Path" and "St. John Beach Guide" and have a GREAT time!!

Mar 17th, 2004, 08:18 PM

The hike to Ram's Head is very beautiful. This is on the Coral bay side. Go to Salt Pond Beach and follow the trail. Go early, as the sun tends to get hot.
Consider signing up for the Reef bay trail hike offered by the park. Sign up at the park office across from Mongoose Junction. It usually runs twice a week. A $15 fee gets you a boat trip back in to town. You also get to see the Petroglyphs and learn a lot about St. John history. Check out the library in Cruz bay - it is small but downstairs there is a historical area with old pictures and artifacts. Stop in at the animal care center near the library and give them a donation to help the poor abandoned animals on the island - bring one home... we did!!
Go to the ruins at Catherinesburg.
Stop at Skinny Legs in Coral bay and have a blackbeard's ale and a chili dog. Check out Miss Lucy's for Sunday brunch. Drive out to the east end.
If you are going to be there long enough and want to sacrifice a whole day, consider a day trip to "the Baths" on Virgin Gorda BVI. To get there check with Inter-island ferry service on St. John or Speedy's on St. Thomas. Spend some time near one of the salt ponds or mangroves and look for the interesting bird species. Ask your villa agent about feeding the "banana quits" they love sugar and are a blast to watch.
Go to Maho bay campgrounds and watch the glassblowing. Take a trail ride with the folks at Carolina Coral.
Take a kayak tour.
Don't worry about doing it ALL....I have been going for 13 years and still haven't done it all! You'll be back I guarantee it... all the posts on this site are proof that St. John has become one of the most popular destinations! Just don't ruin it folks and don't stand on the coral!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy!
Mar 18th, 2004, 04:25 AM

Just wanted to ask about snorkeling on St. John. Should we bring our own gear, snorkel, mask & fins?? We already plan to bring a colapsible cooler.
Mar 18th, 2004, 04:02 PM
MIG

There are several places in Cruz Bay or at the resorts where you can rent snorkel gear. The idea of snorkel rental seemed a little gross to me so we brought our own mask and snorkel and rented fins.

They also sell all that stuff at the K-Mart on St. Thomas - quite inexpensive.
Mar 20th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I echo what mewmom said:

The Ram Head's hike is fabulous. You feel like your'e on top of the world, with great views of the BVI. I asked a park ranger what's most seinic hike on the island - his answer: Ram's Head!

Check out all 7 beaches at Caneel Bay Resort. Only the main beach "Caneel Bay" is opened to the public, and is the most beautiful but if you ask permission you can checkout the other six.

Snorkel around the Trunk Bay small island. Most people only swim up to the last underwater sign - about half way but if you are a great swimmer the views get even better at the end. Note the water can get choppy, stay close to the island.
Mar 21st, 2004, 06:12 AM

FYI - all park beaches on St. John are public up to the first line of vegetation. While Caneel may not give you access from their property, you can sometimes access from the water or hike there.
Mar 30th, 2004, 01:22 PM

One of the most memorable things we did on our honeymoon to St. John last August was rent a *dingy* early one morning and visit some beaches. Because it was about 9am, there was NO ONE around, and we snorkled and swam with beaches to ourselves. It was great!
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:29 AM

One of our better days in St. John was when we rented a "Nauti Nymph" a 25 foot power boat with a captain. We took the boat to some of the best snorkeling spots in the area, went to Roxy's (I think that's the name of it) on Jost Van Dyke for a fun outdoor lunch, then hit a couple of great little beaches here and there on the way back. It was an all-day trip, and it a bit pricey- but well worth it.

We made the reservations through our hotel and have recommended it since our stay to others who have really enjoyed it too. What can be bad, a private boat trip in the Carribean???!!!

Enjoy

Mitch

Apr 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Ram's Head Trail is a must. Our favorite snorkling beaches are a bit more secluded than Trunk Bay & Caneel. Try Salt Pond Bay & Leinster Bay / Waterlemon Cay for some great marine life & coral sightings. Skinny Legs & Island Blues in Coral Bay for lunch. We'll be there for 2 weeks in May...just before you in June. Can't wait! Trish
Apr 20th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your great replys. I will keep everything in mind. I can't wait until June!!
May 8th, 2004, 03:24 PM

My husband & I spent a week in Coral Bay this past July - we're saving skymiles to go back with our kids in a few years! Here were some of my favorite things we did:

Ram's Head Hike - really beautiful & WINDY at the top!

Salt Pond Bay - great snorkeling if you're a good swimmer, very few people there

Waterlemon Cay - great snorkeling as well, you can stop and rest on the beach on the cay before you swim back: paradise

Stormy Petrel day trip to Virgin Gorda - Baths were great (though crowded), had lunch on another island and snorkeled again that afternoon

Hike to Brown Bay - Beautiful shaded hike and we had the beach to ourself the entire time (we brought a picnic lunch from Pickles deli - great sandwiches!)

Also, we rented our snorkel gear for the week - I think it was @ $50/person. Much cheaper than by the day.

Have a wonderful time - I'm jealous!!
May 10th, 2004, 09:39 AM
mm

Go to Woody's Seafood for daily happy hour. Try to catch the times when drunken ladies lay on the bar for a squirt of whipped cream on their nipples as their friend licks it from their bare breasts.

Not part of the National Park entertainment.

:^)

MM
May 10th, 2004, 02:19 PM

LOL - MM I've been to Woody's for happy hour, but never seen the place quite that rowdy! How might one time being there for that type of event?? I'm counting the days...I'll be there in 8 days! Trish
May 10th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Claudette,

Bring your own gear... you'll be glad to have a mask that fits you well... we order our gear from diversdirect.com

Have fun cdo!
May 11th, 2004, 04:14 AM
MIG

Makai1, I'm a little confused on your post. You mentioned the need to have a mask that fits well, but then said that you mail order you equipment.

How do you know whether a mask will fit or not if you are buying it through the mail?

May 11th, 2004, 07:33 AM
mm

Check the photo section of

www.woodysseafood.com

May 11th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Woody's site is too funny. I'll be there with beer in hand at this time next week! Any other nightlife suggestions MM? Trish
May 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM
mm

That's all I've got Trish but if you do go make sure that Kristi knows she has a HUGE (in spirit not size) fan.

I was there last August but she was on vacation! Who would have thought?

The Beach Bar comes highly recommended by another friend that had a lot of fun there.

Have a great time.

MM
May 11th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Thanks MM. I've been to St. John before, but always looking for more suggestions for to-do's. We'll be there for two weeks starting next Tuesday! I'll be sure to say hi to Kristi's at Woody's for you. Trish

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO